Meet the Richardsons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lynn,

Identify the man? Sure, but which description should I go by?

LLOYDS WEEKLY NEWS, 9th September 1888 -

SUPPOSED CLUE TO THE MURDERER.

Mrs. Fiddymont, wife of the proprietor of the Prince Albert public-house, better known as the "Clean House," at the corner of Brushfield and Stewart streets, half a mile from the scene of the murder, states that at seven o'clock yesterday morning she was standing in the bar talking with another woman, a friend, in the first compartment. Suddenly came into the middle compartment a man whose rough appearance frightened her. He had a brown stiff hat, a dark coat and no waistcoat. He came in with his hat down over his eyes, and with his face partly concealed, asked for half a pint of four' ale. She drew the ale, and meanwhile looked at him through the mirror at the back of the bar. As soon as he saw the woman in the other compartment watching him he turned his back, and got the partition between himself and her. The thing that struck Mrs. Fiddymont particularly was the fact that there were blood spots on the back of his right hand. This, taken in connection with his appearance, caused her uneasiness. She also noticed that his shirt was torn. As soon as he had drunk the ale, which he swallowed at a gulp, he went out. Her friend went out also to watch the man.

Her friend is Mrs. Mary Chappell, who lives at 28 Stewart-street, near by. Her story corroborates Mrs. Fiddymont's. When the man came in the expression of his eyes caught her attention, his look was so startling and terrifying. It frightened Mrs. Fiddymont so that she requested her to stay. He wore a light blue check shirt, which was torn badly, into rags in fact, on the right shoulder. There was a narrow streak of blood under his right ear, parallel with the edge of his shirt. There was also dried blood between the fingers of his hand. When he went out she slipped out of the other door, and watched him as he went towards Bishopsgate-street. She called Joseph Taylor's attention to him, and Joseph Taylor followed him.

Joseph Taylor is a builder at 22, Stewart-street. He states that as soon as his attention was attracted to the man he followed him. He walked rapidly, and came alongside him, but did not speak to him. The man was rather thin, about 5ft. 8in. high, and apparently between 40 and 50 years of age. He had a shabby genteel look, pepper and salt trowsers which fitted badly, and dark coat. When Taylor came alongside him the man glanced at him, and Taylor's description of the look was, "His eyes were as wild as a hawk's." Taylor is a reliable man, well known throughout the neighbourhood.

The man walked, he says, holding his coat together at the top. He had a nervous and frightened way about him. He wore a ginger-coloured moustache and had short sandy hair. Taylor ceased to follow him, but watched him as far as "Dirty Dick's," in Halfmoon-street, where he became lost to view.

Abberline seemed far more interested in Albert Piggott, the 1000-1 outsider who'd fled to Gravesend.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

ID

Hello Simon. This seems to differ from the Star's account by age only--both high and low ranges being off by 10 years.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

A ginger coloured moustache? Hmmmmmm.

No bucket of beer, unfortunately.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Lynn,

Age apart, I was really struck by the flurry of extra clothing detail in the Lloyds account and the fact that how, if he was wearing a dark coat, it was known that his blue check shirt was torn into rags on the right shoulder, and also why this putative murderer hadn't had the good sense to wash the dried blood from between his fingers during the hour or so since the Chapman murder. If he actually was the phantom menace this would have been a bit of a give-away.

I've always had the feeling that this whole story was nothing more than Mrs Fiddymont seizing her opportunity for fifteen minutes of fame.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

errata

Hello Simon. Your remarks about the murderer and blood are perhaps more a propos a cunning toff with a topper and Gladstone bag. A lunatic? Well, perhaps his hygiene left a bit to be desired.

Clothes are no problem. My lad went home to change right after both C1 and C2, if I recall.

Mrs. Fiddymont? Abberline and Thick were all hot to get her down to Grove Hall to identify my lad, but Dr. Mickle put the kibosh on that. But the best story is from Taylor.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,

There's nothing like having a couple of spare suspects up your sleeve if the current one goes pear-shaped.

Abberline and Thick were a real double-act.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post

Good morning Simon,

This is the author who began his book by writing "St Marys Catholic Church gave Whitechapel its name." Which is incorrect, it is not a catholic church. Snce his theory has religous overtones, the "sanctuary" bit and all, I sort of wondered - how could he get such a basic fact wrong? In any case, thank you for contacting him.

That was an interesting part. Well after all, Piser was cleared. There seemed to be "another" Leather Apron about. The real one.

Thanks again,

Roy
                Of course, St Mary’s was originally a Catholic church. Patterson got that right at least.
                Last edited by MrBarnett; 06-30-2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Is it known if Harry Dam attended any of the inquests?

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Of course, St Mary’s was originally a Catholic church. Patterson got that right at least.
                    In the sense that any church founded before 1532 was originally Catholic, or did it remain so for a time after the reformation?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

In the sense that any church founded before 1532 was originally Catholic, or did it remain so for a time after the reformation?
                      Yes, that’s what I was referring to - Whitechapel was named after a Catholic place of worship.

Comment

So.. As I said its possible Richardson knew who JTR was and he knew his mother. With a threat against his mother Richardson would have motive to lie and muddy the waters with a crazy story and claiming there was alot of activity in the yard at night. Why would Richardson bother to carry a dull knife when a sharp one would be more effective for lets say defense purposes. Why if he had a dull knife did he not perhaps find one in the basement? Why if there was so much activity in the yard invest in a lock for the back door and not the front? I really didnt know about this article when I thought of the threat hypothesis. I just thought "What would motivate Richardson to not tell Police who the Ripper was."

Comment

Working...
                        X