Testimony of John Piser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testimony of John Piser

This is the fullest account I have found of the inquest testimony of John Piser and though it may interest others
    Chris

Bristol Mercury
    13 September 1888

From an account of the Chapman inquest:
    John Piser was the next witness. In answer to the coroner, he said: "I am a shoemaker."
    Are you known by the nickname of "Leather Apron"? - Yes, sir.
    Where were you on Friday night last? - At my home, 22 Mulberry Street, Commercial Road. I went there on Thursday, and I never went out all day Friday.
    Where did you come from? - From the West end of the town.
    The Coroner - I will take that for the present, but I shall have to get a better address than that presently. Who lives at 22 Mulberry Street? - My brother and stepmother.
    And you remained till when? - Till I was arrested on Monday last. My brother advised me to remain indoors, and I never left the house.
    Were you an object of suspicion? - I was an object of false suspicion.
    Coroner: It was not the best advice that could have been given you, but still you acted on the advice of your brother in staying in? - Yes, but I had certain proof that I should have been torn to pieces. I now wish to vindicate my character to the world at large.
    Yes. You are called here to admit of your doing so. Where were you on Thursday, 30th August? - That would be Bank Holiday, would it not?
    No. last Thursday week. - In Holloway Road.
    Coroner: You had better say exactly where you were. It is important you should account for your time. Were you not staying in any house? - Yes. At Crossingham's common lodging house in Holloway Road.
    Did you sleep the night there? - Yes, sir; I went in about a quarter past two, and left it on Saturday morning.
    But you had not been out on Friday? - Yes, at eleven o'clock, and I saw on the Star placard, "Another Terrible Murder."
    Previously to this, where were you? - On Thursday night I had supper in the same house. Then I went out, and seeing a reflection of fire at the docks I spoke about it to a policeman. I then went towards Highgate Station, and did not get to the lodging house till a quarter to two on Friday morning. I got up at 11 o'clock that morning.
    Is there anything else you wish to say? - Nothing else.
    Referring to your previous evidence, where did you mean when you said the West end of town? - Peter Street, Westminster, another lodging house there.
    Coroner: I think it only fair to say that these statements by the witness have been corroborated in every particular.
    Detective Sergeant Thicke said he had known him for many years as "Leather Apron," and knowing he was suspected of murder, he arrested him.
    When people in the neighbourhood speak of "Leather Apron," they mean Piser? - They do.
Working...
X