Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow the Money!

Where is it?

Mary Jane Kelly was out hooking on the night she was murdered. It's possible that Blotchy-Face paid her in beer, but she'd been out for a long time before she ran into him, so I assume she'd done some business beforehand. She was an experienced prostitute after all. And then according to Hutchinson she is out looking for money again at 2.00 am. (And apparently more-or-less sober, which I find hard to believe.)

Now if she picks up her killer and brings him back to Millers Court, she would expect to get money upfront before anything happened. Everyone will be shocked to hear that tricks are harder to get money out of afterwards than before Kelly would know that for sure. The Ripper's normal plan is to blitz his victim probably as she walks ahead of him into the alley/backyard/wherever she's taking him for business. So the others may not have asked for their money yet. But if the PM info is correct, Mary Jane certainly had. She was undressed and in bed. So if that's the case, where is the money? OK, maybe the killer had the presence of mind to take his money back and tuck it into a pocket to keep it out of the way of the ton of blood in that room. But where is Mary Jane's money from the rest of the evening? I can't believe she didn't have a penny on hand. But there is no mention of money anywhere. It's possible a copper might have pocketed it. But I dunno if I would have been so fast to nick anything out of that charnel-house.

I don't have an answer to my question. I do think the lack of money and her position suggests she knew who she was letting in the room, and it maybe wasn't a trick. But that's only my own supposition.

But where is Mary Jane's money from the rest of the evening?
    He probably pocketed the lot, Chava, especially if he was one of the Great Unwashed. I wouldn't be at all surprised that he didn't do precisely the same thing with his other victims. In Chapman's case, in particular, it appears he rifled through her pockets for anything of value, discarding the obviously useless items such as pills and toothcombs etc.

Best wishes,
    Ben

Comment

Hi Ben,

A toothcomb?

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Follow the Money

Maybe what Ben is talking about Caz is a type of hair ornament ladies used to wear in their hair. it had an ornamental part on top with decorations of colored glass or in expensive ones,stones,sometimes arranged in patterns. The combs as they were known had long teeth which held the comb into a bun or twist of the hair. Those that had a high back were called Spanish combs,due to their popularity in Spain.You can see them in old photos or posters of spanish dancers,like flamenco dancers. I have a photo of my great grandpa and grandma Steldt,taken in Milwaukee in the 1890s and she is wearing such a comb in her hair.
        You can I'm sure find them on ebay under antique jewelry,or in reprints of old Sears and roebuck's catalogs of the 1890s and 1900s.

Comment

Ah. Thanks HollyDolly.

I didn't realise that could have been the type of comb Ben had in mind. I thought he just meant the kind of comb that had been of some use to its owner, for tackling tangles and so on, as opposed to a comb with no teeth at all, which would have been about as much use as a knife with no blade to Jack.

Love,

Caz
          X
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
          X