Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
    It's the first shooting of this type I can think of on a college campus. There was a mass shooting at a German elementary school in 1913.
    Hello,

Beside several sources in the internet in german I've spotted this

in english: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremen_school_shooting

The New York Times had an article about the shooting 103 years ago:

Kind regards

Paul

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.

Nelson Mandela

Comment

• Thanks for the links Paul.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1916 August 3 - After being convicted of treason and stripped of his knighthood, Roger Casement is hanged in London. He'd been found guilty of soliciting Germany with the intent of gaining aid for an Irish rebellion.

Stan Reid

Comment

100 years ago - 1916 August 3 - After being convicted of treason and stripped of his knighthood, Roger Casement is hanged in London. He'd been found guilty of soliciting Germany with the intent of gaining aid for an Irish rebellion.
          A controvertial treason trial - while there certainly was proof of his working with the Wilhelmine Empire in World War I, while an honored British subject, Casement viewed himself as a patriotic Irishman seeking aid for his country seeking independence. the government of Britain (afraid that the humanitarian actions of Casement in the Congo Cruelties Scandal, and in South America, would gain Casement popular support to reduce the sentence to life imprisonment) decided on a dirty scheme involving Casement's secret personal life.

Casement was a male pederast, and he had apparently kept a personal record of his history of personal activities. There is some real question about whether the documents the government circulated in clubs and upper crust social events were the actual papers, known as the "Black Diaries". Whatever their actual origins, they did the trick. Despite the fact that some major figures came to defend Casement (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle claimed Casement was insane when he made his deal with the Germans - ironically Casement resented this argument because he felt he acted responsibly as an Irish patriot), there was no real groundswell of support for saving the life of the man, so he was executed. The last time a similar action occurred was in 1618, when Sir Walter Raleigh returned from a fruitless and tragic attempt to found a successful and rich trading colony in South America, and King James I had a death sentence on Raleigh for treason that was held in abeyance for nearly fifteen years put into affect.

Jeff
          Last edited by Mayerling; 08-01-2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 August 6 - In Texas, Kenneth McDuff and Roy Green kill Robert Brand and Mark Dunman. They then proceed to rape and murder Brand's 16-year-old girlfriend Edna Sullivan. Both men were sent to prison but were released after relatively short terms. McDuff then became a serial killer, murdering at least six additional people. He was rearrested in 1992 and executed in 1998.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago - 1966 August 6 - In Texas, Kenneth McDuff and Roy Green kill Robert Brand and Mark Dunman. They then proceed to rape and murder Brand's 16-year-old girlfriend Edna Sullivan. Both men were sent to prison but were released after relatively short terms. McDuff then became a serial killer, murdering at least six additional people. He was rearrested in 1992 and executed in 1998.
              That's short, only six years on Death Row.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 August 7 - During the robbery of a New Jersey service station, attendant Ronald Sandlin is abducted. The 18-year-old was then taken to a wooded area where he was shot and killed. Reginald McKnight and Charles Holland were eventually convicted of the murder.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 August 9 - Dorothy McKenzie, 45, leaves her Toms River, New Jersey home on a summer evening to pick up her husband from work and is not seen alive again. The following morning, she is found in her car, dead from two gunshot wounds. Some suspect a serial killer might be the culprit and the case is still unsolved.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 August 10 - In Oklahoma, James French goes to the electric chair for the murder of his cellmate, Eddie Shelton. At the time of the murder, French was serving a life term for killing a motorist who'd picked him up hitchhiking in 1958.
                    Last edited by sdreid; 08-08-2016, 02:12 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1866 August 11 - Francis Bradley is hanged on the Channel Island of Jersey for the murder, in her home, of Esther Le Brun, 62.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago - 1966 August 10 - In Oklahoma, James French goes to the electric chair for the murder of his cellmate, Eddie Shelton. At the time of the murder, French was serving a life term for killing a motorist who'd picked him up hitchhiking in 1958.
                        He's the one who rather famously quipped "Hey, fellas. How about this for a headline for tomorrow’s paper? French Fries!" on his way to the chair.
                        - Ginger

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 August 12 - Three members of a car theft ring, Harry Roberts, John Duddy and John Witney are pulled over by British policemen Christopher Head, David Wombwell and Geoffrey Fox. The officers are then gunned down by Roberts and Duddy. All the criminals were eventually convicted of the murders and given long prison terms. Duddy died still incarcerated in 1981 while Witney was released in 1991 and murdered in 1999. The sole survivor, Harry Roberts was paroled in 2014.
                          Last edited by sdreid; 08-10-2016, 01:51 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 August 14 - Jane Taylor, 10, is never seen again after going on a bicycle ride in Mobberly, England. It is believed that she was a victim of serial child killer Raymond Morris who was eventually convicted of another murder and given a term of life in prison.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1866 August 17 - New York City gang leader Bernard Fiery is hanged for murdering bar owner Henry Lazarus with a stab to the throat.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1916 August 19 - Celestine Buisson disappears after going to meet Henri Landru. She is believed to be the eighth of his, at least, 11 victims. His scheme was to seduce lonely older women then murder them after gaining access to their insurance and funds. Landru went to the French guillotine in 1922. It was a query by Celestine's sister that evenually led to the killer's arrest.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X