No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 years ago - 1963 March 6 - Carol Thompson is beaten and stabbed to death in her St. Paul, MN residence. Her husband and a local attorney, Tilmer Eugene Thompson is suspected and eventually charged. Dick Anderson and Norman Mastrian, respectively the hit man and go between, were also brought in. All three men were convicted of the murder and given a sentence of life in prison. Mr. Thompson's motives were inheritance, life insurance benefit and the desire to lead a single life without having to give up half your assets in a divorce.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      50 years ago - 1963 March 6 - Carol Thompson is beaten and stabbed to death in her St. Paul, MN residence. Her husband and a local attorney, Tilmer Eugene Thompson is suspected and eventually charged. Dick Anderson and Norman Mastrian, respectively the hit man and go between, were also brought in. All three men were convicted of the murder and given a sentence of life in prison. Mr. Thompson's motives were inheritance, life insurance benefit and the desire to lead a single life without having to give up half your assets in a divorce.
      Hi Stan,

He probably would have been paying huge amounts off as blackmail money to his two "assistants".

Jeff

Comment

• That's a distinct possibility Jeff.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1913 March 7 - In Connecticut, Jennie McNamee, 17, dies under the "care" of her aunt Annie Monahan. The death cause was first listed as natural but it was then discovered that Monahan had a large life insurance policy taken out on the girl. Additional investigation also revealed that Ms. Monahan had two husbands who'd died under similar circumstances. Jennie's remains were exhumed and found to contain arsenic. Monahan was brought in and questioned but released for lack of evidence. Three years later, she murdered a third husband with the poison, was convicted and sent to prison for life.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1963 March 9 - The body of Mary Brown, 69, is discovered in her apartment. She had been murdered by beating, stabbing and strangulation. It was somewhat controversial due to m.o. but she was eventually added to the list of the Boston Strangler; a serial killer case that is still officially unsolved.
            Last edited by sdreid; 03-07-2013, 03:20 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1963 March 14 - Ombretta Nigrisoli dies from what her husband, Dr. Carlos Nigrisoli, says was coronary thrombosis. The coroner, however, finds that the woman has the poison curare in her system. Dr. Nigrisoli, the head of a famous Bologna medical clinic, is convicted of murder and sent to prison for life. The killer had become infatuated with a younger woman and decided to remove his wife as an impediment to that romantic pursuit.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Where can I buy that stuff Stan?

All the best

Dave

Comment

• I don't know Dave. Anesthetists have used curare in surgical settings but I don't know if they still use it.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Shame...I could find a use!

Dave

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1913 March 18 - King George I of Greece is shot in the back and killed by a reputed anarchist named Alexandros Schinas. The assassin was captured on the spot but died several weeks later when he plummeted from the window of a police station. It's unclear whether the fall was an accident or the result of an act of defenestration.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1913 March 26 - Dr. Henry Clark is executed for two murders in India. The doctor murdered the husband of his lover, Augusta Fullum, and then had his wife killed. Mrs. Fullum went to prison for the crimes where she gave birth to Clark's child. After about a year inside, she died of heatstroke.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1913 March 28 - In Virginia, Floyd Allen and his son Claude die on the electric chair. Both men had been involved in a courtroom shootout that resulted in five deaths. The incident was the result of Floyd being found guilty of assault and battery.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1963 March 29 - Serial killer Klaus Gossman shoots and kills two workers inside a Nuremberg gun shop. He had become known as the "Midday Murderer"' because he used the sound of noontime church bells to mask the sounds of his gunshots. After Gossman was captured, it was discovered that he was also working on a plan to kidnap actress Elke Summer. At the end of proceedings, he was sentenced to life without parole.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1863 April 4 - Emma Jackson, a London prostitute, is found dead on a bed in the room of a lodging house. The 28-year-old's throat had been savagely slashed. Emma and a man had rented the room earlier in the day. Her companion was never identified and the murder is still unsolved.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1913 April 12 - Maxie Levine, a small time gangster who'd just been released from prison, is gunned down in a New York City apartment where he's been told to meet a woman. The shooter is a rival gangster named Max Minsky. After proceedings, Minsky was convicted of murder and sent to prison.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X