Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centenaries - whole and half

Hi all,

I thought I'd restart this thread to note the anniversaries of the crimes of 50, 100, 150 and so on years ago. The first entries, now deleted, were about Peter Manuel and Charles Starkweather from 50 years ago (January of 1958). I'll be adding more soon if others don't beat me to it.
    Last edited by sdreid; 02-19-2008, 01:44 AM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Fifty years ago, March 24 of 1958, Terence Cooney stabbed Alan Johnson to death in an Essex County (UK) dance hall. It was over nothing but a turf dispute. Cooney got a life term. Does anyone know he's still alive and inside? He was born in 1939.

Stan Reid

Comment

P.S.

Ooops! I meant February 24 not March - Sorry.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago on March 13 of 1958, Juanita Archerd dies in a Las Vegas hospital of what appears to be hypoglycemia. It is suspected that her husband, William, murdered Juanita, two other wives, two acquaintances and a nephew from 1947-1966 with overdose insulin injections. He was convicted of killing three of those and sent to prison.

Stan Reid

Comment

100 years ago, on March 30 of 1908, former dress factory foreman and child preacher, Chester Gillette is executed in a New York electric chair. He'd been convicted of murdering Grace Brown, a former lover.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Stan,

I really find it hard to sympathize with Gillette - his loss was no American tragedy.

Actually I read a book on the case - there is a slim chance that Gillette did not kill Grace, but that she rocked the boat and fell into the lake. There is an even slimmer chance that Mary Kelly committed suicide and hid it for religious reasons.

Nothing remarkable to report.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
              Fifty years ago, March 24 of 1958, Terence Cooney stabbed Alan Johnson to death in an Essex County (UK) dance hall. It was over nothing but a turf dispute. Cooney got a life term. Does anyone know he's still alive and inside? He was born in 1939.

As the Uk still had the death penalty at the time, why didn't Cooney hang?

Comment

Hi,

Limehouse-I have one brief account of the case and I can't find any record of him hanging. If someone knows more, I'd like to hear for sure and if not why not.

Jeff-My feeling is that Gillette was guilty so he gets no sympathy from me.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Limehouse
                  If you go to

this has a detailed account of the Cooney case.
                  This states that the reason Cooney didnt hang is because the victim was not a police officer and the weapon used was not a firearm.
                  Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris,

To me, a stabbing seems more vicious than a shooting.

Do you know if Cooney is alive and free now?
                    Last edited by sdreid; 03-28-2008, 04:37 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Stan
                      Sorry can't help you on that one
                      Chris

Comment

50 years ago - April 4 of 1958, Johnny Stompanato is knifed to death in the home of film actress Lana Turner. Her daughter, Cheryl Crane was investigated for murder but a coroner's jury came back with a verdict of justifiable homicide. Supposedly, Stompanato, the star's boyfriend, had threatened to disfigure Turner but he wasn't there to give his side.

Stan Reid

Comment

100 years ago - 1908 April 28 - The La Porte, Indiana farm of serial killer Belle Gunness is reduced to ashes in a highly suspicious fire. No one knows how many she killed but it almost certainly ranged into the dozens if not much higher. By all indications, she faked her own death in the conflagration and escaped, never to be captured.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago - 1958 May 6 - Margaret Elizabeth Rheeder is hanged in South Africa for murdering her husband with ant poison. She motive was inheritance, insurance and to remove him as an impediment to her extramarital love life.

Stan Reid

Comment

100 years ago - 1908 May 11 - A girl named Louise Staula is found beaten to death in a field near Dedham, Massachusetts. After a month, Anthony Santo, a fourteen year-old, confessed to the killing. He was also tied to the murders of two young boys from earlier in the year. The teenage serial killer was determined to be unfit to stand trial and sent to an asylum for the criminally insane.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                              X