Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death

His death at Leytonstone was reported by the Daily Mirror of 7 January 1907 (available through www.ukpressonline.co.uk). I didn't note the full details, assuming they would already be known, but I can't find any mention of them here. Presumably he is the Thomas Arnold whose death was registered at West Ham in the first quarter of 1907, though the age given, 69, appears to be a couple of years out.

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    His death at Leytonstone was reported by the Daily Mirror of 7 January 1907 (available through www.ukpressonline.co.uk). I didn't note the full details, assuming they would already be known, but I can't find any mention of them here.
    The full report reads:
    Ex-Superintendent Thomas Arnold, who, as head of the East End Division of Police, dealt with the "Jack the Ripper" murders, the dynamite outrage at the Tower, and many other famous East End crimes, has just died at Leytonstone.

Comment

Hi Chris

What's the search engine like on the site? I thought before I spent any money I'd do some sample searches and was gobsmacked to be told that there are 210 occurrences of Thomas Cutbush - nay, of Thomas Hayne Cutbush - starting in 1903, and 125 occurrences of Montague Druitt starting about the same time!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        What's the search engine like on the site? I thought before I spent any money I'd do some sample searches and was gobsmacked to be told that there are 210 occurrences of Thomas Cutbush - nay, of Thomas Hayne Cutbush - starting in 1903, and 125 occurrences of Montague Druitt starting about the same time!
        I haven't explored it very much, but I found it very user-unfriendly. Presumably those figures you quote don't represent the number of occurrences of the exact phrases?

Comment

Presumably not, Chris. I looked at their FAQs and they said search term Tony Blair should bring up occurrences of Tony Blair. There was no hint of anything else being necessary. I did try to put two-word search terms in quotes but was told this wasn't allowed. Search term Cutbush gave 210 hits, but so did Thomas Cutbush, Thomas Hayne Cutbush and even Ethelred Cutbush.

Thomas AND Cutbush brought up 59, which still looks like too many, while Ethelred AND Cutbush brought up one.

Comment

Working...
          X