Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Lechmere wasn't Cross

I've mentioned this on another thread, but

I have found a couple of Charles Crosses that look to be related to Lechmere's step father. Also a George (you know like he was called in one paper). I haven't yet confirmed the relationship with certainty, but it looks promising.

Even more interesting one of the Charles left England in late 1888.

Now if one was living with the Lechmere family in 1888 and was the finder of Polly, what impact does that have on the Lechmere theory.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Originally posted by GUT View Post
    I've mentioned this on another thread, but

I have found a couple of Charles Crosses that look to be related to Lechmere's step father. Also a George (you know like he was called in one paper). I haven't yet confirmed the relationship with certainty, but it looks promising.

Even more interesting one of the Charles left England in late 1888.

Now if one was living with the Lechmere family in 1888 and was the finder of Polly, what impact does that have on the Lechmere theory.
    If anything it makes the pathetic theory even more pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
      If anything it makes the pathetic theory even more pathetic.
      I'm still researching it, not ready to say it is so just yet, but a chance at least.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I'm still researching it, not ready to say it is so just yet, but a chance at least.
        I hope it's true. Would leave the posters who tell all and sundry that Lechmere was the Ripper with egg on their face.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
          I hope it's true. Would leave the posters who tell all and sundry that Lechmere was the Ripper with egg on their face.
          One of the Crosses I'm looking at was the Nephew of a Thomas Cross, if he had to move to London to work why wouldn't he room with his step relative?
          G U T

Comment

There was a Charles Cross living around the corner from Buck's Row in either in Brady St or Cambridge Heath Rd (I don't have my notes handy).

There was Charles Cross who was mugged at the back of Broad St Station, as well.

Although I've no reason to suppose they were our Xmere.
            dustymiller
            aka drstrange

Comment

One of the Crosses I'm looking at was the Nephew of a Thomas Cross, if he had to move to London to work why wouldn't he room with his step relative?
              So who were the Maria Louisa (born Herefordshire) and Emily living with them? Not CAL's mother and sister, I take it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                So who were the Maria Louisa (born Herefordshire) and Emily living with them? Not CAL's mother and sister, I take it.
                Sorry, GUT, I think I may have misunderstood your point.

You're suggesting that a 'step relative' of CAL's , a carman with 20+ years service with Pickfords named either Charles or George Cross, may have been living with him Doveton Street in 1888?
                Last edited by MrBarnett; 01-16-2017, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Sorry, GUT, I think I may have misunderstood your point.

You're suggesting that a 'step relative' of CAL's , a carman with 20+ years service with Pickfords named either Charles or George Cross may have been living with him Doveton Street in 1888?
                  I think you've caught in at last.
                  G U T

Comment

I think you've caught in at last.
                    Save I'm not saying that this Cross had 20+ years at Pickfords, nor I am saying that he did live at Diveton Street, what I am saying is that he existed (not 100% he is related) and may have been living there.
                    G U T

Comment

Save I'm not saying that this Cross had 20+ years at Pickfords, nor I am saying that he did live at Diveton Street, what I am saying is that he existed (not 100% he is related) and may have been living there.
                      But the man who gave evidence at Polly's inquest claimed to have worked for Pickfords for 20+ years. His address was given (somehow) as Doveton Street and some of the press took down his middle name as Allen. That all seems to tie in to CAL.

Comment

But the man who gave evidence at Polly's inquest claimed to have worked for Pickfords for 20+ years. His address was given (somehow) as Doveton Street and some of the press took down his middle name as Allen. That all seems to tie in to CAL.
                        To a degree yes.

But if this fellow was around Lechmere's age he could also have worked there for 20 years too. I'm not saying he did. The press also got his name as George and Paula's as Baul, I don't place much credence in names given by the press, they got so much wrong.
                        G U T

Comment

I'd still love an answer to the original question, if it pans out (and I have no idea if it will or not) what does that do to the Lechmere theory?
                          G U T

Comment

To a degree yes.

But if this fellow was around Lechmere's age he could also have worked there for 20 years too. I'm not saying he did. The press also got his name as George and Paula's as Baul, I don't place much credence in names given by the press, they got so much wrong.
                            So he wouldn't have just arrived from the country and taken lodgings with his step-what? Cousin?

If he was in his late 30s and had been gainfully employed for over 20 years, he'd most likely have been on the electoral register. Are you saying he (they) weren't or is it just that you couldn't stop laughing long enough to look?

Comment

I'd still love an answer to the original question, if it pans out (and I have no idea if it will or not) what does that do to the Lechmere theory?
                              Well, the false name issue goes out of the window, as does any suggestion that Lechmere's absent father and (possibly) controlling mother shaped his personality negatively.

The geographical stuff, the 'blood evidence' and the Mizen scam aren't affected.

As for the possible 'cat's meat' connection, well that would depend on how long the guy had associated with the Lechmeres.

Comment

Working...
                              X