Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Letters and Communications: An experiment - by MysterySinger 16 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: Lambeth Workhouse - by Debra A 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Joe Barnettīs alibi accepted lightly? - by David Orsam 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Joe Barnettīs alibi accepted lightly? - by David Orsam 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Scene of the Crimes: Dorset Street Photo - (32 posts)
Letters and Communications: An experiment - (31 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - (29 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Joe Barnettīs alibi accepted lightly? - (29 posts)
Mary Ann Nichols: Lambeth Workhouse - (3 posts)
General Police Discussion: PC Thain's beat - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2017, 09:48 AM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
Hello HS,

I just can't get too worked up about the GSG. Even if we could prove beyond doubt that Jack wrote it we would still have no idea what it means.

c.d.
Hi c.d.
I take your point. It's just an area that's always fascinated me.

Regards
HS
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
That's why I favour the "dipped in a pool of Eddowes' blood" hypothesis to explain why that particular corner of the apron was wet with blood.
The point that I make though Sam is, why did he take it away with him? And why did he discard it ?

HS
Old 05-20-2017, 09:52 AM
Assistant Commissioner

With regards to MJK not being the one in the room, how likely is it that Barnett, who shared a bed with her, misidentified her?

As far as a family member not coming forward, that assumes that she did have family. And that can also be turned around. If she had family and ran off without informing them why did they not report to the police that they had concerns about a missing family member at a time when young women were being murdered?

c.d.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:55 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Hi c.d.
I take your point. It's just an area that's always fascinated me.

Regards
HS
I understand too. It is a tantalizing clue.

c.d.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:58 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
With regards to MJK not being the one in the room, how likely is it that Barnett, who shared a bed with her, misidentified her?

As far as a family member not coming forward, that assumes that she did have family. And that can also be turned around. If she had family and ran off without informing them why did they not report to the police that they had concerns about a missing family member at a time when young women were being murdered?

c.d.
I forgot to add that the same thing could be said about the family of the woman who was actually murdered in MJK's bed if true. Why did they not come forward to the police with their concerns?

c.d.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Constable

Quote:

c.d.
I agree with you c.d. The simplest answer is usually the truth. You find a dead woman in Mary Kelly's bed in Mary Kelly's room. The person closest to her identifies the body as Mary Kelly (albeit under difficult circumstances). Mary Kelly occupied the room alone. Mary Kelly was seen and heard in Miller's Court the previous evening. Unless you have some preconception about a conspiracy what possible reason is there to suggest that the body isn't that of Mary Kelly? She was obviously estranged from her family and if they learned of her fate later on perhaps they just didn't want to have it known that there relative was an east end prostitute killed by Jack the Ripper.
Regards
HS
Old 05-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Cadet

Regarding the MJK conversation, I think the reason given by people who doubt it was her is that given how bad the damage was, her identification could be made more difficult and somewhat hurried. It would also explain the sightings after she was supposed to be dead*.

Personally, I don't think there's a particularly strong reason to think it wasn't her. Barnett supposedly identified her using things like her hair, and I'd assume that even without seeing the faces of people I'm close to I'd be able to tell with reasonably certainty it was them. Mistakes can happen but this would require someone who looked very similar to MJK to also have known her... that seems like a big coincidence to me.

The fact that MJK's family wouldn't come forward doesn't surprise me that much. If she was estranged from them, it sounds like they may not even know where she was or care to confirm that it was indeed her. We don't have to look very far to see that this could be the case. Annie Chapman's sisters, for instance, don't seem to be mentioned much and it sounds like they weren't keen on getting mixed up in the investigation.

* This is then usually explained as MJK deciding to start over by letting everyone think she was dead. While that doesn't sound impossible, I wonder if that's very compatible with the same Mary Jane Kelly who was willing to put a strain on her relationship with Barnett to give her friends a place to sleep.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:34 PM
Inspector

With regard to Kelly's family, the Evening News contains the following;

14 Nov 1888
The funeral of the murdered woman Kelly will not take place until after the arrival from Wales of some of her relatives and friends, who are expected to reach London this evening. If they be unable to provide the necessary funeral expenses, Mr. H Wilton, of 119 High street, Shoreditch, has guaranteed that the unfortunate woman shall not be buried in a pauper's grave. Any person, however, who may be desirous of sharing the expense with Mr. Wilton can communicate with him. The remains, according to present arrangements, will be interred either on Thursday or Friday at the new Chingford cemetery.

15 Nov
The relatives of the murdered woman, who were expected yesterday, have not yet arrived. The funeral has been again postponed, and may not take place until Monday. Yesterday afternoon the remains were removed from the temporary coffin in which they have been lying at the Shoreditch Mortuary, and placed in a coffin of French polished elm and oak, with brass handles, in which they will be interred. Mr. McCarthy, the landlord of the deceased, offered to defray part of the cost of the funeral, but his offer was declined, sufficient funds for the purpose having already been subscribed.