Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 47 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 48 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 2 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 1 hour and 6 minutes ago.
Visual Media: New play about Jack the Ripper (Denver, CO) - by emlodik 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (70 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (1 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Bucks Row Project - (1 posts)
Visual Media: New play about Jack the Ripper (Denver, CO) - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > General Letters or Communications

Old 01-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Of course, anything is possible. If any letter is genuine, it's certainly the Lusk letter (and kidney). It's always tricky, at least for me, to make assumptions when so little is known. In most cases, for most people, its not feasible to be get hold of a kidney and send it in a parcel. For others, it might be quite feasible (medical students, mortuary workers, etc.). That said, it may be nearly as feasible that the killer sent it himself. For me, it's simply a feeling, one that may change at any time as I am exposed to new info, opinions. Mainly, it's a feeling I have based upon notes I've been making for the past twenty-five years. I've had thoughts, I write them down. Learn a fact here, do some research about a killer there, I write it down. Recently, I've been pulling notes together and arranging them in a more organized fashion. Creating narratives and speadsheets, even a few flowcharts. It's an interesting exercise, at the least. Thanks for the reply!
Its worth mentioning that for the month of September Medical Students and people with a more or less advanced knowledge of anatomy were the primary suspect group...who better to obtain a kidney section?

The fact that it wasnt addressed to the cops or the news, that it was not signed by a "Ripper", and the fact that the organ section was human and was from an organ like the one that Kate had taken from her...make this the only compelling possible correspondence.

At least from Kates killer....he didnt claim any other women as victims.

Cheers
Old 01-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Commisioner

G'Day Michael

I've never understood why so many are willingly to out of hand dismiss the Lust Letter.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Commisioner

On the other hand if Dear Boss and the PostCard weren't from Jacky then it seems that only a conspiracy at the "News" could account for the information therein, otherwise how the accuracy, the writer must have known facts.

As I see it only two choices open to us.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
G'Day Michael

I've never understood why so many are willingly to out of hand dismiss the Lust Letter.
Because so many Ripperologists refute the possibility that the organ section could be categorized accurately...from a human female with a form of nephritis.

Cheers
Old 01-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Commisioner

G'Day Michael

And most Doctors say it's highly possible to do so. at least those I've spoken to have and on questions of anatomy I'd rather listen to a doctor than a Ripperologist, I know silly of me.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Chief Inspector

Name:  riverview.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  49.1 KB

Hard to figure, it is

Roy
Old 01-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Commisioner

Hi Gut. It would be very inconvenient for a number of Ripperologists if the Lusk letter/kidney were actually from the killer. Or if modern opinion favored that. And not inconvenient just for those with suspects but also for many without, simply because it clashes with their views on what kind of a person the killer was. There are two contemporary sides to the argument: One appearing in a document coming from a high police source which states the medical opinion was that it came from Eddowes. The other side comes from press reports. This is one of those very rare cases where even the most fastidious of Ripperologists choose to side with press reports vs an official source. I remain on the fence because even these sources present only opinions and not absolutes. Only a DNA comparison between the kidney and Eddowes' exhumed remains could prove it beyond a doubt. And that kidney is long gone.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 01-21-2014, 04:37 PM
Commisioner

G'Day Tom

My problem was with the bland statement:

Quote:
Because so many Ripperologists refute the possibility that the organ section could be categorized accurately...from a human female with a form of nephritis.
Compared to what I am told be experienced medicos.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Commisioner

Just to be clear I don't say it had to be from Eddowes just the reason given to reject it is spurious.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Just to be clear I don't say it had to be from Eddowes just the reason given to reject it is spurious.
It was definitely a human left kidney (I believe left is correct). That much isn't debated. I'm always amazed whenever anyone feels totally confident either way (Eddowes or not Eddowes) because it can't be known for sure.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott