Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by harry 4 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 6 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Pcdunn 6 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring a Life - by Iconoclast 7 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring a Life - by Herlock Sholmes 7 hours ago.
Conferences and Meetings: The East End Conference 2018: London - by Andrew Firth 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (32 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (17 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A 20th Century Word Processor - (11 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring a Life - (8 posts)
Visual Media: HLN's Unmasking a killer-The Golden State killer - (3 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: The East End Conference 2018: London - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 03-22-2018, 04:38 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
He was Anglican, but actually not devoutly so. Still he did once or twice state that he would have liked to have been inspired to become a Quaker (there is a degree of spiritual seeking in joining the Society of Friends, involving receiving a divine fire from within in adhering to it's principles - Jon was impressed by this). I suspect his abbreviation of "Jonathan" to "Jon" was due to that being his first name's first syllable (similar to mine of using "Jeff" for the first syllable of "Jeffrey"). He did have thoughts of divine justice. Take a look at what he writes regarding his suspect in "The Burning of Evelyn Foster", which may be one of the strongest condemnations I ever read of a murderer's fate by any true crime author (including Edmund Pearson). Jon hated cruelty in any form.

Jeff
Appreciate the info. I remember reading Jon had stated he was fascinated by the plot of murder mysteries (true life ones) and the characters involved etc., but never forgot there was an unfortunate victim and also was squeamish around the actual act of killing, blood, and gore etc. I am much the same way. Probably a mark of a sensitive and kind soul if I do say so myself

I think perhaps in the Wallace case if one thinks WHW was innocent, there is an extra outrage and desire to solve it in his favor, because he was an awful victim of the crime himself in that event. Having gone thru the brutal murder of his wife, being suspected and convicted of it and sentenced to death and then barely escaping execution for it---all to be ostracized and die a couple years later, sick and broken. I could see this appealing to one's sense of justice to set the record straight. I just happen to think it unlikely Wallace was innocent.

I will try to get a hold of The burning of Evelyn Foster. I believe he made a reference to Parry in it although as it was in the 70s could not state his name yet until after Parry died in 1980. That is a crime that really shocks the conscience.

On Muder, Mystery, and My Family I was impressed by the people willing to appear on the show and consider the possibility of their relatives being vicious murderers without bias. Then again, we might be seeing only the small percentage that were willing.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:50 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Itís huge here in Aus, everyone wants a convict in their tree.

And a First Fleeter is big news.

Iím still on the lower side of 60 but remember when a convict ancestor was hushed up by most families.
There was a sub-sketch in an early 'Young Ones' (much missed) in which a line of chained convicts were waiting to board a ship to be transported. One of them (Andy de la Tour IIRC) says: " 'Tis monstrous cruel, transported for life just for stealing a bag of corn to feed my starving children". The bloke next to him says, "Aye, and for them seven murders you done". "Aye, them as well".

Graham