New Mary Ann Nichols family information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mary Ann Nichols family information

Mary Ann Nichols mother Caroline Walker died in 1852 and was buried on 5th December at St Andrew Holborn.

Mary gave birth to a son on 4th July 1866 and called him Edward John Nichols. Together with her other son Percy George born in 1868, the boys were christened on the 9th August 1868 at St Peter, Walworth.
    “be just and fear not”

roll

Hello Jenni. Thanks for posting this. Looks like you and Neal are on a roll.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Thanks,Jenni

Comment

I'm aware that a couple of the victims have books dedicated entirely to them. Just out of interest is there such a book about Polly. There certainly seems a wealth of information about her and he part in the case. Has anyone considered collaborating it all together?

Comment

Nice work Jenni. Have you started seeing if there are any descendants from the two sons?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
            Nice work Jenni. Have you started seeing if there are any descendants from the two sons?

Jeff
            You know this thread is three years old, right?

Comment

Think the Sheldens have retired from researching.
              My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                I'm aware that a couple of the victims have books dedicated entirely to them. Just out of interest is there such a book about Polly. There certainly seems a wealth of information about her and he part in the case. Has anyone considered collaborating it all together?
                I am working on a book (or possibly series of books) about the victims. It will not be about "who was Jack the Ripper?", but very much about "who were these ladies?".

I have some material that I think may be new to most researchers, and hopefully will be able to offer something that is a useful reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                  You know this thread is three years old, right?
                  I did not notice that. I thought it was new.

Jeff

Comment

Station Cat. Get hold of Neal Stubbings Sheldon's book, The victims of Jack the Ripper, Neal and Jenny did most of the work uncovering new information the families and photos of the first four victims familiies. No new stuff about mary kelly.

The book was published in 2007 by Dan Norder Inklings Press ISBN-13:978-0-9789112-9-4 www.inklings press.com
                    Amazon might have a copy or send a message to Jenni Sheldon

Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by Azarna View Post
                      I am working on a book (or possibly series of books) about the victims. It will not be about "who was Jack the Ripper?", but very much about "who were these ladies?".

I have some material that I think may be new to most researchers, and hopefully will be able to offer something that is a useful reference.
                      Hi Azarna,

This all sounds very interesting. I hope it goes well for you and we get to see the results of your labours.

I am particularly interested in Catherine Eddowes' time in Wolverhampton. If there is anything from that period of her life you feel you could share, I'd love to see it.

Gary

Comment

Azarna, What new information do you have that is not in Neal's book?

MrBarnett. According to Neal's book, Catherine was born 14 april 1842 at Graisley Green Wolverhampton sixth child of George and Catherine, A year later the family moved to London on a barge up the Thames. The mother died of TB in 1855 and the father two years later.
                        Catherine's sister Harriet wrote to her aunt Elizabeth in Wolverhampton to try to get her sister Kate a job. So Kate went back to Wolverhampton to live them and worked as a scourer, also a tin plate metal worker
                        Read Neal's book.He spent a lot of time researching it and talking to descendants.

Miss Marple
                        Last edited by miss marple; 04-28-2016, 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                          Azarna, What new information do you have that is not in Neal's book?

MrBarnett. According to Neal's book, Catherine was born 14 april 1842 at Graisley Green Wolverhampton sixth child of George and Catherine, A year later the family moved to London on a barge up the Thames. The mother died of TB in 1855 and the father two years later.
                          Catherine's sister Harriet wrote to her aunt Elizabeth in Wolverhampton to try to get her sister Kate a job. So Kate went back to Wolverhampton to live them and worked as a scourer, also a tin plate metal worker
                          Read Neal's book.He spent a lot of time researching it and talking to descendants.

Miss Marple
                          Miss M.,

I've got it and I've read it. It says very little about Kate's return to Wolverhampton. I have also researched it independently over a number of years and not found anything more of any significance.

My own ancestors were living nearby in the 1850s/60s. They were horse slaughterers who came from Whitechapel (working at the Winthrop Street* yard) and one of them would later return to London and work for Harrison Barber. The Eddowes family home in Bilston Street was very close to the livestock market.

None of this was in Neal's book, so perhaps there's still more to discover.

Gary

* Then Little North Street.
                          Last edited by MrBarnett; 04-28-2016, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Local papers are good sources for stories,has anyone looked? But the sad thing is unless the poor appeared in court or were involved in an accident,or politics,records are scanty as there are no letters or journals. Kate's life was mundane, like thousands she lived in obscurity. Only the murder has made her interesting. I cant see anything significent popping up at this stage but you never know.

Of course MK is the holy grail of ripper research.

Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                              According to Neal's book, Catherine was born 14 april 1842 at Graisley Green Wolverhampton sixth child of George and Catherine, A year later the family moved to London on a barge up the Thames. The mother died of TB in 1855 and the father two years later.
                              Interesting.....how does that square with what John Kelly was reported as telling the Echo 3rd Oct;
                              "The murdered woman, he added, was, like himself, a Londoner. She was born at Bermondsey."

Comment

Working...
                              X