David’s new book on Spandau Ballet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David’s new book on Spandau Ballet

Just finished it. Great work as usual DAVID! Fascinating and informative and highly recommended.
    Congrats!
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

But was there anything about it you didn't like?

Comment

Ah, the Spands, kilts and all. Those were the days. The number of young ladies who rejected me to the sound of 'True' is quite extensive.
      They seem a suitable study for a Ripperologist. The Kemps played the Krays, and Martin was George Joseph Smith, the brides in the bath murderer.
      The accusation that Tony Hadley also committed GBH against the musical scale is one of opinion. Personally I've always thought tv's
      didn't come with a mute button until he showed up.
      This has set me off musing over real life villains played by musicians.
      So far I've got Mick Jagger as Ned Kelley, Roger Daltrey as John Mcvicar and Phil Collins in Buster.

All the best.

Comment

Does the book reveal whether the lyric "Why do I find it hard to write the next line" was a cop-out? I often thought it was.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I once wrote a book about Spandau Ballet. It was a rather slim volume :

Page 1 : This is the story of Spandau Ballet.
          Page 2 : To cut a long story short I lost my mind.

It fell deadborn from the press.

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
            Ah, the Spands, kilts and all. Those were the days. The number of young ladies who rejected me to the sound of 'True' is quite extensive.
            They seem a suitable study for a Ripperologist. The Kemps played the Krays, and Martin was George Joseph Smith, the brides in the bath murderer.
            The accusation that Tony Hadley also committed GBH against the musical scale is one of opinion. Personally I've always thought tv's
            didn't come with a mute button until he showed up.
            This has set me off musing over real life villains played by musicians.
            So far I've got Mick Jagger as Ned Kelley, Roger Daltrey as John Mcvicar and Phil Collins in Buster.

All the best.
            The Goblin-king by David Bowie and Gene Simmons as an excellent scumbag lawyer Horrible Bosses 2

Comment

Small world!

I grew up in the village Ampthill and saw plenty of bands at the Hope and Anchor when I moved away to London in the 1970's. Sadly, the book's not available over here in Oz, but I'll keep my eye out.
              dustymiller
              aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                But was there anything about it you didn't like?
                Hi Scott
                No, not really, but I thought the section on the what, where when who and why of the term the New Romantics was too detailed and overly long, but of course david is very detailed, so I ended up skimming and skipping a lot of that section. The rest was very interesting, especially the controversy and mystery of how they got their name and the personal and legal drama among the members.

Full disclosure, I’m not even a big SB fan but I find musician/band band biographies and history fascinating.

Some of my favorites are queens of noise about the runaways, Keith Richards autobiography, Belinda Carlyle of the go gos biography, and the magnus opus and best band history I’ve read so far is no one here gets out alive about Jim Morrison and the doors.

If you or anyone else can recommend any others it would be great!
                Last edited by Abby Normal; 05-25-2018, 05:12 AM.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                  Small world!

I grew up in the village Ampthill and saw plenty of bands at the Hope and Anchor when I moved away to London in the 1970's. Sadly, the book's not available over here in Oz, but I'll keep my eye out.
                  Did you see the original and first spandau ballet?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hey, I've just seen this thread (I don't normally "do" pub talk!) and thank you Abby, I'm very glad and relieved you enjoyed it, or at least most of it!

Comment

Congratulations David. It must have been hard work researching and writing that book whilst at the same time writing and researching your secret new JTR book

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                        Hey, I've just seen this thread (I don't normally "do" pub talk!) and thank you Abby, I'm very glad and relieved you enjoyed it, or at least most of it!
                        Your welcome! And congrats again!
                        I polished it off in two days!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
                          The Goblin-king by David Bowie and Gene Simmons as an excellent scumbag lawyer Horrible Bosses 2
                          Gene Simmons was also a pretty decent baddie in Rutger Hauer's "Wanted: Dead or Alive"
                          “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

Some of my favorites are queens of noise about the runaways, Keith Richards autobiography, Belinda Carlyle of the go gos biography, and the magnus opus and best band history I’ve read so far is no one here gets out alive about Jim Morrison and the doors.

If you or anyone else can recommend any others it would be great!
                            Gary Numans "Praying to the Aliens" is pretty good
                            Neil Peart's (Rush) "Ghost Rider" is fantastic
                            “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

I vaguely remember a story about Jim Morrison. He was drunk and crudely propositoning Jimi Hendrix at his concert.
                              This went on until Janis Joplin, tired of the spectacle, smashed a bottle of whisky over his head.
                              It sounds apocryphal, a certain wish fulfilment to have those three tragically doomed sixties legends all together. I'd love it if it was true though.

I'm sure David's book is immaculately researched and I heartily recommend it to anyone interested in that period, the New Romantics emerging after a time when bands who either were, or should have been, on medication dominated.
                              I like the quote by Paul McCartney, irritated by critics interpretation of John's song, which was something like "They say he meant this or that, no he didn't, and I should know, I was in the bloody room with him when he wrote it!"

Anyway, all the best with the book.

Comment

Working...
                              X