The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Busy Beaver View Post
    As this was the only such type of graffiti written, he obviously didn't go about writing stuff on walls & thorough fares on his murdering days off (or on).
    There were two other incidents of chalked messages reported in the press.
    There was the reported message left after the Hanbury Street murder, and there was the message on the gates of the slaughter yard.
    The killer could have been influenced by these reports.

Comment

• There is always the possibility that there was no graffiti in the entranceway to 108—119 Wentworth Model Dwellings, which might explain why City of London and Metropolitan Police officers reported a combination of seven variations as to its spelling, grammar, capitalization and linage.

Regards,

Simon
      Last edited by Simon Wood; 05-16-2018, 09:59 PM.
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
        There is always the possibility that there was no graffiti in the entranceway to 108—119 Wentworth Model Dwellings, which might explain why City of London and Metropolitan Police officers reported a combination of seven variations as to its spelling, grammar, capitalization and linage.

Regards,

Simon
        So there was a conspiracy among at least a number of policemen? And what would have that accomplished?

-
        Last edited by Varqm; 05-17-2018, 12:31 AM.
        Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced,it started civil society).
        M. Pacana

Comment

• Hi Jon, which reports were they, as I have not heard about those before.

Secondly, I think the graffiti was put there by an activist or supporter of the Jewish/Immigrant community who felt that this group were wrongly being targeted for absolutely nothing. Even today minority groups are picked on whenever something goes wrong- Travellers for stealing/robberies/Murder and the new influx of Syrian migrants for terrorism threats. I also doubt that the graffiti was another attempt just like the hoax letter writers, to get more attention. I feel that it had been there all along and like everything to do with JRT- coincidence had brought it to the public arena.
          As for the piece of apron, has it been proven that it did come from Catherine Eddowes?, as I'm sure this was also inconclusive as well, as there did not seem to be a mention of a torn apron in the Doctor's very well detailed report. BB

Comment

As for the piece of apron, has it been proven that it did come from Catherine Eddowes?, as I'm sure this was also inconclusive as well, as there did not seem to be a mention of a torn apron in the Doctor's very well detailed report. BB
            In separate reports of their inquest testimony, Doctor Brown and others confirmed that the border of the apron piece exactly matched the border of the remainder of the apron that was found still attached to the body.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Jon, which reports were they, as I have not heard about those before.
              I`ll try and find them later today, BB.

Comment

• SAM: Shame the the piece of apron was not put in a bag and placed somewhere safe

JON: Thanks for that

BB

Comment

Which reports were they, as I have not heard about those before.
                  Here`s one of them, BB
                  This was reported in the Echo, 8th Sept 1888:

THE "WRITING ON THE WALL"
                  It is currently reported in Hanbury-street that this morning the following paragraph, written in chalk, was seen upon the wall of one of the back gardens there, and four persons distinctly stated they had actually seen the writing. The words are, "I have now done three, and intend to do nine more and give myself up, and at the same time give my reasons for doing the murders." Whether there is any truth in the matter remains to be seen.

Comment

• and here`s the second, reported in the Echo 4th Sept 88

The murder of Mary Ann Nicholls still excites the keenest interest in Whitechapel. Some malicious persons have actually chalked a libelous statement on the gate of the slaughter-house where the three men were engaged on the night of the tragedy, one of whom gave evidence at the adjourned inquest yesterday, while the states of his two comrades--Brittain and Mumford--were reserved for the concluding hearing before Mr. Wynne Baxter, the Coroner. These three slaughter-house men are considerably annoyed at the slanderous insinuations conveyed in the expression written on the gate as stated.

Our reporter visited this slaughter-house--a block of extensive premises--this afternoon, where he was courteously shown over by a representative of the firm, who wish him to give publicity to the reiterated statements of the men as to their utter abhorrence of the crime in Buck's-row. The business carried on at the place is mainly confined to the killing of horses and boiling their flesh, which is afterwards sold to cat's-meat men. There are two descriptions of knives used in the killing and cutting-up process, one having a long tapering blade, while the other has one about five inches in length, with a strong wooden handle--a weapon, in fact, very similar to those originally employed for killing pigs.

THE SLAUGHTERMAN'S STORY.
                    James Mumford, one of the men engaged here, who was left in charge of the premises the night of the murder while his two comrades went out for an hour's walk, made the following statement this afternoon : "I am at work here all hours of the night, and don't go out of the premises until I am done. My time to come in of an evening is quarter-past eight o'clock. Then I am here until the governor comes down in the morning, which is sometimes six and sometimes half-past." Then Mr. Mumford, indignant, suddenly burst forth, "I don't know why that should be wrote on the gate against our chaps."

"What is written on the gate?" asked the reporter.

"Why, 'This is where the murder was done,'" exclaimed Mr. Mumford, "which is a great untruth ; and if you can put it right, as you say, I don't mind telling you what our work is."

Comment

• Sounds as if someone was jumping to conclusions before the facts were laid bare, or trying to cause alarm. Still happens in modern society.

Thanks for that Jon.

BB

Comment

• Guys have i dreamt it but didnt a ‘recent’ book contain a photograph of another ‘ripper’ graffiti?

The only two books that ive read recently are ‘Jewbaiter’ and ‘Jack And Old Jewry.’

Comment

• Just checked, it is in Jack And Old Jewry. Its says ‘im going to do one more on the 27th.’

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                            Here`s one of them, BB
                            This was reported in the Echo, 8th Sept 1888:

THE "WRITING ON THE WALL"
                            It is currently reported in Hanbury-street that this morning the following paragraph, written in chalk, was seen upon the wall of one of the back gardens there, and four persons distinctly stated they had actually seen the writing. The words are, "I have now done three, and intend to do nine more and give myself up, and at the same time give my reasons for doing the murders." Whether there is any truth in the matter remains to be seen.
                            The Star 8th Sept report of the supposed graffiti;

"The woman living next door declared that this morning there was written on the door of No. 29, "This is the fourth, I will murder sixteen more and then give myself up." There was no basis for this story, however, there being no chalk mark on the door except "29.""

Comment

• Various American newspapers—

“The Pall Mall Gazette charges that the words ‘I have murdered four and will murder sixteen more before I surrender myself to the police,’ written by the supposed Whitechapel murderer upon a shutter of a house adjoining the one in the yard of which the body of one of his victims was found, were erased by order of Sir Charles Warren, chief of the London police force, before the authorities had the opportunity to photograph them.”

Regards,

Simon
                              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• The American newspapers (of 12 October 1888) which reported the story said to be from the Pall Mall Gazette stated that their report had come from "London, 11th Oct". But the surviving edition of the Pall Mall Gazette of 11 October 1888 carries this report:

"A very strange, startling rumour as to the manner in which Sir Charles Warren performs the duty of Chief Detective of Scotland-yard is current this morning in the City. Those who repeat it assert that is will be verified at the inquest which is now proceeding and a report of which will be continued in succeeding editions. The rumour in question is to the effect that rather than face the danger of allowing a crowd to assemble in a public thoroughfare Sir Charles Warren deliberately destroyed a clue - the only clue which the City Police believed to afford any guidance as to the identity of the assassin.

The facts as alleged are as follows. The murderer, after killing his victim in Mitre-square, just within the City boundary, seems to have gone down Goulston-street, which is outside the City boundary, and under the jurisdiction of Sir Charles Warren. Here he threw away a portion of the murdered woman's apron after wiping his hands. On the wall in close proximity to the place where the bloody apron was found, there was written up the following inscription:-

"The Jews shall not be blamed for nothing."

This inscription was subsequently erased, it was supposed by some stupid blunder.

It is now stated that the erasure was made by the express orders of Sir Charles Warren, who personally superintended the operation
                                !"

Comment

Working...
                                X