PC Thain's beat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Thain's beat

As part of my on going study into Bucks Row I am attempting to gain some idea of the beat walked by PC Thain.
    It would seem to include the bottom Eastern part of Brady street and one assume part of the northern part. For these purposes northern means north of Bucks Row.

Do we have any more on what his best included.

Would it be the beat shown as second beat in post 26 on the thread PC Neil's route.

Many thanks

Steve

I note that autocorrect as again given this thread the wrong title.

It's meant to be Thain. Not train. The trouble of typing on a phone of course.
    Last edited by Elamarna; 05-18-2017, 03:20 AM. Reason: title of thread incorrect.

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
    As part of my on going study into Bucks Row I am attempting to gain some idea of the beat walked by PC Thain.
    It would seem to include the bottom Eastern part of Brady street and one assume part of the northern part. For these purposes northern means north of Bucks Row.

Do we have any more on what his best included.

Many thanks

Steve
    I've seen a map of it somewhere, not sure if it was here on casebook, in Monty's book, or elsewhere, but I'll have a look and see if I can find it. (About 85% sure it was Thain's)
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      I've seen a map of it somewhere, not sure if it was here on casebook, in Monty's book, or elsewhere, but I'll have a look and see if I can find it. (About 85% sure it was Thain's)

Hi mate

Thanks so much.

I assume it's the one I mention in that thread as I can see no other mentioning brady street.

Steve

Comment

The route i can find is

"The second constable would cover Three Colt lane, Collingwood street, Darling row, Dog row, Whitechapel road, Brady street, to Three Colt lane"

Does anyone know where dogs row was?, i can not find it on neither the set of maps i normally use, or the booth maps, the indication is it runs from darling row to whitechapel road

any advise great appreciated

steve

Comment

solved it!

looks as if it was the old name for the sothern end of Cambridge heath road.

steve

Comment

looking at the beat it looks very long, certainly over 35minutes at normal walking speed, did this happen aty all, i assumed most were either 15 or 30 minutes.
            Any comments?

steve

Comment

Google Earth would be handy to map out the distances.
              My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Thanks Dave,

Found an older map which showed bottom end of Cambridge heath as Dog Row.

The maps i use at

have a measuring tool which i have checked and it seems accurate, This gives

The external distance with out the many interior roads is around 4400 feet that’s 1467 yards.

The internal measures more than the external, I am getting figures of near to 1800 yards, there may be ways of minimizing return walks down both sides of roads, but it not obvious how from the layout.
                At the standard police rate of 3mph, that gives a beat over 37minutes, just wonder if that is unheard of, i guess Monty may have the answer.

Steve

Comment

23 minutes.1467 yards.
                  Last edited by DJA; 05-18-2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

is it possible that not all internal streets were done on every circuit of the beat?

steve

Comment

Don't ask me ..... it's 3.26 am and I'm sipping Port

Um.... yep. 9 beats,5 constables.
                      Last edited by DJA; 05-18-2017, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                        23 minutes.1467 yards.
                        what walking speed are you using for that Dave ?

I am of the understanding that the day walking pace was 2.5mph approx and the night speed 3mph.

at 3 mph thats 88 yards per minute, so I make it nearly 17 minutes, not 23. just wonder if i am making a mistake somewhere?

steve

Comment

Don't ask me ..... it's 3.26 am and I'm sipping Port

Um.... yep. 9 beats,5 constables.
                          good for you.

i am on cider in pub

steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                            what walking speed are you using for that Dave ?

I am of the understanding that the day walking pace was 2.5mph approx and the night speed 3mph.

at 3 mph thats 88 yards per minute, so I make it nearly 17 minutes, not 23. just wonder if i am making a mistake somewhere?

steve
                            Agree with 17 minutes actually. Thought I was giving ground.

Living in the Aussie bush,pretty used to walking speeds.

Local store is 350 away. When smoking I'd enjoy the landscape and take 7 minutes. Easily do it in 5.

Nearest Pub was ~ 16 Km. Used to do that in 2H40m without pushing it.

Depends.

Comment

Agree with 17 minutes actually. Thought I was giving ground.

Living in the Aussie bush,pretty used to walking speeds.

Local store is 350 away. When smoking I'd enjoy the landscape and take 7 minutes. Easily do it in 5.

Nearest Pub was ~ 16 Km. Used to do that in 2H40m without pushing it.

Depends.

thanks Dave, got worried for a minute that i had made some awful mistake on my pages of calculations.

steve

Comment

Working...
                              X