No announcement yet.

PC Thain's beat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh. Done the figures on Jack's walk home from the London Hospital along Hanbury Street to Finsbury Square many times. ~ 2 Km.

Not sure what held him up on Thursday nights.

Have a few ideas though.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Beats were divided in to two, day and night.

They were measured with a beat wheel and whilst not exactly matching, they endeavoured that the distances were roughly the same.

This resulted in a beat of roughly 30 mins in London, longer in the suburbs.

30 mins beat were commonly patrolled in the day. These were divided at night into two 15 mins beats.

Obviously timings were not exact, due to distance differations and incidents or duties which may occur on the beat.

Hope that helps.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Sorry, I can't remember who originally posted this.
        Attached Files
        dustymiller
        aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
          Neil's looks short compared to Thain's or am I missing something?
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Whitechapel Station,London Hospital,Infirmary,shelter and public housing project.
            My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

>>Neil's looks short compared to Thain's or am I missing something?<<

Yes, Monty's Post;-)
              I suspect what is illustrated might be the daytime beat
              dustymiller
              aka drstrange

Comment

I'm guessing within this area, but then how does Winthrop Street fit in?

Maybe he did the Woods Buildings.
                Attached Files
                dustymiller
                aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                  Beats were divided in to two, day and night.

They were measured with a beat wheel and whilst not exactly matching, they endeavoured that the distances were roughly the same.

This resulted in a beat of roughly 30 mins in London, longer in the suburbs.

30 mins beat were commonly patrolled in the day. These were divided at night into two 15 mins beats.

Obviously timings were not exact, due to distance differations and incidents or duties which may occur on the beat.

Hope that helps.

Monty
                  Thanks Monty

So a 37 minute beat would not be impossible given ALL the internal roads?

Steve

Comment

Dusty that is great.

I had not included the two on the left of Brady street so that would push it up to around 40 minutes I guess For the whole beat. I will remeasure over weekend.

Steve

Comment

>>Neil's looks short compared to Thain's or am I missing something?<<

Yes, Monty's Post;-)
                      I suspect what is illustrated might be the daytime beat
                      Dusty

The route I quoted earlier post 3 or 4 I think says it's the evening beat and gives the external route only but adds internals and yards adding up to about 20 in total.

The report is listed in full post 26 thread PC Neil's route. Looks like Thain just drew the short straw And got along beat.

Steve

Comment

I'm guessing within this area, but then how does Winthrop Street fit in?

Maybe he did the Woods Buildings.
                        The very reason I am checking his beat Dusty.

He said he gave it to another officer, who if so was probably Neil. That must have been either when they left the station and started or at some point when they intersected.

Or Thain went to the slaughter house for his breaks which he was allowed and left it there.

Need to do some maths and see how often they would insect in Brady street..

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Comment

alternating route?

Having reread the various reports Thain gave at the inquest, he clearly says he passed Bucks Row every 30 mins.
                          The only ways that this can be so, given the distances of his full beat are:

1.He walked at a much faster pace than the standard 3mph. He would need to go at over 4mph.

2. Not every one of the internal roads was walked on every circuit of the beat. For instance on circuit one he may have checked Bath and Fosters and the surrounding roads; but not those in the northern section. While on circuit 2 that was reversed.

I wonder if anyone would care to comment on which they feel is the most likely ? Or do we think that Thain was not accurate with how long the route took him.

Steve
                          Last edited by Elamarna; 05-19-2017, 05:54 AM.

Comment

I made this map. It's based on the news paper report, but as I didn't have a period map, I had to use a modern one from Google maps, so the street plans might vary as the area has been developed considerable over the last 100+ years, but it's meant to just be a rough guide.

Going off subject slightly, I'm currently trying to ascertain the positions of the fixed points, once I have done this I'll be sure to post them onto the forum.

Comment

Hi All,

Given their two beats, it's nothing short of serendipity that PC Thain should appear at the Brady Street end of Bucks Row at the exact moment PC Neil was flashing his bullseye lantern for assistance.

Regards,

Simon
                              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                                Given their two beats, it's nothing short of serendipity that PC Thain should appear at the Brady Street end of Bucks Row at the exact moment PC Neil was flashing his bullseye lantern for assistance.
                                Neil must have thought it really was his lucky day when Mizen appeared from nowhere too.

Comment

Working...
                                X