Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tecs View Post
    I began a Chapman book over ten years ago, I think in 1999/2000

But then two things happened. Firstly, I got bogged down! Just the sheer boredom of researching, cross referencing etc slowed me to a standstill.

And secondly, I got the internet and found, to my horror, that Michael Gordon had already published his books in America.

It's still all there on my laptop and that's probably where it will stay.

So, please, go one step further. Don't drop it like I did. Keep going.
    Wow what a great message to receive! I have taken account of it ALL but just want to respond to the points you made in the quoted text above.

There is a note in the local studies library that says someone (I think the name was Dodd or Todd, or something similar) was writing a book on Chapman and had written in for help, and this was passed to the dreadful Debra Gosling --- was that you?

So, you got to where I am now, bogged down! You know more than anyone what I am going through right now!

Lastly, you absolutely must send me your document. I am intrigued that some other poor sod has been down the same road that I find myself feeling a bit stranded on. If you wish, I would be happy to send you (and only you) my first draft as it stands today, just so you can keep tabs on whether I use any of your material. If I do find out anything new from your m/s, I will be more than happy to acknowledge it/you in the book. My email is hastings.press@gmail.com

Helena
    Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 08-17-2011, 02:46 PM.
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Thank you!

I'll probably send you a personal email or message if that's okay and we can discuss?

And, happy to confirm, I'm not Todd, Dodd or any other variation!

As I live in Liverpool, I'll check in and see what Ken is up to. Were there any reports locally of a large toothed, mad haired octogenarian waving a tickling stick at the Hastings library?

Regards,
      If I have seen further it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

Originally posted by Tecs View Post
        I'll probably send you a personal email or message if that's okay and we can discuss?

And, happy to confirm, I'm not Todd, Dodd or any other variation!
        Indeed, that is why I supplied my email address.

Well then, there was a third person writing a book that never got published. How utterly intriguing.

Now, can you help me with this thread by suggesting a title for my book? What were you going to call yours?

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

I'm afraid I was going to go down the Ripper route as opposed to book on Chapman route and call it

"You've got Jack the Ripper at last!"

Or similar.

I know it may be a misquote or said at a different time but the aim is to be sensational and make loads of money isn't it?

Oh, it's not....... Bugger!

On subject of a title, I don't see a problem in referincing JTR in a Chapman book title, he was a serious suspect discussed by serious police officers so it's not crazy to mention it.

If you don't want to, then I suppose something alluding to more such as "The dark secrets of George Chapman" or "The unsolved murders of George Chapman" could suffice but I think a reference to JTR is fine after all, he's being discussed on a JTR website not the Borough Poisoning website which probably doesn't exist anyway!

Regards,

Regards,

Comment

[QUOTE=Tecs;187480]

the aim is to be sensational and make loads of money isn't it?

I believe that was Mr Gordon's aim. My aim is to produce something that is painstakingly correct, factually true, academically excellent, and interesting to read. I do not expect to make much if anything, and that is not my motivation as I have plenty enough to live on already.

he was a serious suspect discussed by serious police officers

Indeed, that is half my justification for mentioning it in the title.

"The unsolved murders of George Chapman"

Er, surely if you are naming the murderer then the murders are not 'unsolved'?

the Borough Poisoning website which probably doesn't exist anyway!

Sadly (for me) that is true.

I'm looking forward every minute to your email!

Comment

"The unsolved murders of George Chapman"

Er, surely if you are naming the murderer then the murders are not 'unsolved'?

No, just being pedantic and technical. He was found guilty of the poisonings so in law he is 100% guilty of that (even if he wasn't, if you know what I mean..)

So the JTR murders, if he was JTR, would be the murders he committed that were unsolved. So would be the unsolved murders of GC. Wouldn't they?

Let's not get too pedantic just yet, plenty of time for that!

I'm looking forward every minute to your email!

Thanks,

I'm off out now and will be busy for next couple of days, but first opportunity, I'll send an in depth email.

Looking forward to it as well.

Regards,

Comment

"More Sadistic Than The Ripper."

Comment

Helena,

A well-researched book on Chapman would be most welcome. Keep at it. We've all read Gordon's work and, while it is entertaining, it isn't particularly helpful: "If any woman was murdered, anywhere, during the relevant period, Chapman dunnit."

I'll bet an appropriate title will occur to you, almost automatically, once the work is finished.

Comment

The Grave Maurice

"A well-researched book on Chapman would be most welcome. Keep at it."

This is from the same "Grave Maurice" who voted "Absolutely not!" on my poll, above?

We've all read Gordon's work and, while it is entertaining, it isn't particularly helpful: "If any woman was murdered, anywhere, during the relevant period, Chapman dunnit."

That is the truest thing I've read about Gordon so far!

I'll bet an appropriate title will occur to you, almost automatically, once the work is finished.

I'm ruminating on it all the time, in the shower, on the bog.... lol

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      "More Sadistic Than The Ripper."
                      That is what I have come to see, now I have read so much about him.

Has to be "Jack the Ripper" though, to appear in searches.

"The Southwark Poisoner: More Sadistic than Jack the Ripper"?

"The Southwark Poisoner: Rival to Jack the Ripper"?

Comment

Having just read your first post, Helena, I think you are being a little hard on yourself!

You have obviously worked tirelessly on this project. Don't forget that Chapman is not just a Ripper suspect, but also a figure in true crime in his own right. I haven't read up on him from any of the previously published books (suspects were never my forté), but if there is that much previous misinformation as you claim, then that surely makes a book like yours all the more valid. I'm sure many true crime afficionados will be interested in a more accurate picture of the 'Southwark Poisoner' and remember, many of those will not even be aware of internet forums on the Ripper, let alone post here.

Obviously, it is a niche market compared to say, books on World War 2 or Henry VIII, but crime is a VERY big niche!

As for the time spent on research for the project, well that is par for the course. And the more fact-finding you do, so much the better for the end result. I'm sure there are many who have done mountains of research and spent piles of cash and time in the process whose results are not known to us for one reason or another.

I would say 'patience is the key'. No doubt (with the help of some of those you have communicated with here) you will get that elusive title. It may require rejigging what you have done already and thus more time spent, but stick at it. Eventually you will hit upon the right balance and as an already published author, I'm sure you can well remember that nice feeling when everything falls into place. Rome wasn't built in a day!!

I wish you the best of luck with it.

Comment

Is there any mention of the torso "murders" Helena?

IIRC there was a man who "looked like a tailor" hanging around in the area of Pinchin St before the remains were found

There are also some medical aspects to the deaths and dismemberment of the victims

I would call the book something simple like "Severin" and put the rest on the blurb

Comment

Dear John

Many MANY thanks for your supportive and encouraging message. To respond to some of your points:

"I think you are being a little hard on yourself!"

Yep, that is how I get the best out of myself. I have a host of imaginary history, moral philosophy and English tutors standing over me at all times, cracking the whip to make sure I get all my facts right -- and every comma correctly placed.

"if there is that much previous misinformation as you claim, then that surely makes a book like yours all the more valid. I'm sure many true crime afficionados will be interested in a more accurate picture"

But the trouble is, readers do not know that the information presented is full of both small factual inaccuracies and large inventions/misunderstandings/lies, so they won't appreciate the pains I am going to in order not to repeat these inaccuracies (as everyone else has done!)

See my other thread for examples .... http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=5950

The sort of thing that irritates the hell out of me is that someone like Mr Gordon can write three books about Chapman and, despite living in a country containing literally millions of Polish-speaking people, could not even be bothered to spend ten seconds casually asking one of them if 'Whostyaw'* is a real name in Polish. Any old random Pole could have told him instantly that the name was 'Władysław'. Just like if I asked you, is the name 'Cirshtoepr' an English name, you could tell me instantly that it should be 'Christopher'. It genuinely offends me that he could not even be bothered to check this out, especially as the person concerned isn't some vague acquaintance of the person the three books are about but his son, for goodness' sake! It makes me think, if he can't be bothered to get the man's son's name right, why should I believe any of the rest of the book?

(*or however it was that he mangled Kłosowski's son's name, I cannot quite remember)

Maybe these things don't matter? Maybe I'm the only sad little pedant who gives a stuff that Lucy's name was actually Łucja Baderska and that her brother was Stanisław and not 'Stanislaus'?

"patience is the key"

I do intend to get some, John, but I want some now, right this second!

"Rome wasn't built in a day!!"

'Railwaywomen' took me sixteen years. I fear I don't have that many years left, my dear!

"crime is a VERY big niche!" .... "I wish you the best of luck with it."

Aw thanks! It's messages like yours that spur me on to keep going when the going gets tough!

Helena
                            Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 08-18-2011, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                              Is there any mention of the torso "murders" Helena?

IIRC there was a man who "looked like a tailor" hanging around in the area of Pinchin St before the remains were found

There are also some medical aspects to the deaths and dismemberment of the victims

I would call the book something simple like "Severin" and put the rest on the blurb
                              Hello Nemo!

"Is there any mention of the torso "murders"

Yes, but only because Gordon accuses S.K. of them, so I discuss and weigh up the evidence and likelihood. I don't see S.K. as a dismemberer (is that even a word?)

"I would call the book something simple like "Severin"

You might, my darling, but I wouldn't, because his name was Seweryn ....

Does anyone remember the song Liza with a Zee? S.K. would want such a song if he could read the way his name has been mangled for the last 80 years lol.

It's Seweryn with a W; not Severin with a V
                              'Cos the Polish language has no letter V!
                              Then Kłosowski with an ł, not Klosowski with an l
                              'Cos that's the way it is.... po polsku!

(Po polsku = in Polish)

Right, back to work, just re-writing the death of Maud Marsh.
                              Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 08-18-2011, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Title

My boyfriend rather fancies "The Southwark Poisoner: Not Jack the Ripper".

Pros:
                                • Short
                                • Intriguing - may draw people to want to read it to find out why it's called that
                                • Appears in searches for 'Jack the Ripper'
                                • Tells no lies (or half lies)

Cons:
                                • Seems baffling (though that may not be a 'con' but a 'pro'!

Comment

Working...
                                X