Bad news for thosse looking into Irish connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad news for thosse looking into Irish connections

Bad news for thosse looking into Irish aspects of the Ripper Case such as Grant, Kelly or Tumblety:

The original census returns for 1861 and 1871 were destroyed shortly after the censuses were taken. Those for 1881 and 1891 were pulped during the First World War, probably because of the paper shortage. The returns for 1821, 1831, 1841 and 1851 were, apart from a few survivals, notably for a few counties for 1821 and 1831, destroyed in 1922 in the fire at the Public Record Office at the beginning of the Civil War.

kind regards,
    Chris Lowe

Thanks. I suspect British sympathisers were behind the destruction of Irish records.

Mike
    huh?

Comment

1911 seems to be online and free :

Comment

So many thanks

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        1911 seems to be online and free :

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
        For several years I have been trying to trace the family of the murderer Tremble. A but difficult because of all the missing records, but I believe I've nailed them in the 1911. Robert I owe you big time!!!!

Comment

You're welcome, Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
            Thanks. I suspect British sympathisers were behind the destruction of Irish records.

Mike
            What is your reasoning behind this comment?

Comment

Hi Gooner66,
              the records that were destroyed in 1922 were burnt apparently by accident. Sinn Féin (who opposed the peace treaty with Britain and went on to become Fianna Fáil) stored their ammo in the records room of the Four Courts and when Cumann na nGaedhael (pro-treaty, now Fine Gael) stormed the Courts the ammo was ignited. There always has been conspiracy theories that either side was responsible for the explosion for their own purposes - for example land records and some wills were among those lost meaning inheritances could be recontested.

regards,
              Chris Lowe

Comment

Working...
              X