Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demon Drink

Hi All,

If George Hutchinson is to be believed, why did Mary Kelly have an urgent need to borrow sixpence at two o'clock in the morning? All the pubs were shut, so what could she have bought at that hour?

Here's a possible answer, from the Further Reminiscences of Montagu Williams QC, (1891).

"Many [lodging house] deputies have a sly supply of spirits on the premises—stuff calculated to drive the consumer to madness; and, when all the public-houses are shut, they dispose of this deadly refreshment at exorbitant prices."

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

This was a common practice in Hull, Lodging houses, public houses and even normal houses had micro breweries or bought the stuff to sell later.

I read several stories about Hull pubs still serving after hours via a back door, and even locals who set up 2 beer barrells and planks of wood to create a bar, serving beer into the night.

One such story had the landlady collecting the jugs, and passing them through a hole in the wall to her husband who filled them back up with ale.

Better still, some pubs had steps up to the bar so kids could get served!!!

I kid you not, I still have the book somewere which has the stories and pictures inside.
    Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
    X