No announcement yet.

Forgive a silly question but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuing with another silly question but...

Is there any report of a connection between the Jones pawn shop on Church Street and the pawnbroker, Isaac P. Jones?

There is an article online entitled Making Ends Meet when Victorian London Pawn is googled. It explains how pawn shops operated their services late 1800s. Apparently pawning was a weekly ritual - the good clothes and items were pawned on Monday and retrieved on Saturday (before church). That $2 pawn loan Catherine Conway held would have cost her $2.50 to settle (i dont understand the English coin system entirely yet). The ticket itself was half a shilling(?). Also it would appear that Catherine would have been in the minority that Saturday since she was selling while everyone else was buying back.
    I know the recent reforms were making pawn dealers more accountable for their operation.

I dont have any particular person established as Leather Apron. I entertain probabilities moreso because it fleshes out Victorian London. I asked bc casebook bullet pointed James Kelly internship with the Jones pawnbroker.

The purely fantastic (im)probabilities would be: 1) Leather Apron gets all those hats and jackets from a pawn broker, and 2) the red thread boot on Catherine's foot was the boot Richardson(?) cut on his back steps.
    there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

I don't know if you've seen it, Robert, you probably have, but there is a very interesting discussion here on Casebook from 2008 on a thread called 'John Kelly's boots'. It goes into the pledging of those boots and other matters on the last couple of days of Eddowes life.

Simon Woods gives research that he has done which includes the intriguing fact that, according to the 1871 Paupers Act, no pauper (at Mile End casual ward or anywhere else) should be discharged until they have finished their 'work' there, ie picking oakum, scrubbing floors etc, and never before 9am in the morning.

As Kate met Kelly at 8am on the Saturday (according to him) she must have slithered out when no-one was looking. She covered herself by stating that there was 'some trouble' at the ward and she was discharged early, but it is sus!

There is a discussion too about pawnbrokers and their legal obligations to put the right date on tickets, the rates Jones charged, and other things.

Comment

Working...
      X