Leaving one's beat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FrankO View Post
    I have no doubt about that, John, but the eastern end of Hanbury Street was also called Church Street before 1888. Here's a map of 1873:
    The pity Frank is that what is Bakers Row in 1888 is not named

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
      Charles Booth's Poverty Map is an excellent geographical resource of the period: https://booth.lse.ac.uk/map/14/-0.1174/51.5064/100/0
      Booth's map also appears on the link that I use:
      "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
      Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

• Thanks Frank. I've you looked at the Stanford Maps from 1872? The search feature's a bit limited, so I'm struggling to find relevant locations. Nonetheless, looks like another excellent resource: http://london1872.com/stanford37.htm

Comment

Thanks Frank. I've you looked at the Stanford Maps from 1872? The search feature's a bit limited, so I'm struggling to find relevant locations. Nonetheless, looks like another excellent resource: http://london1872.com/stanford37.htm
          I'v had a look at it now - good find & thanks for sharing, John!
          "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
          Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

• Actually, on that map Hanbury Street appears to be referred to as Brown's Lane, Montugue Street and Preston Street.

Comment

• Originally posted by FrankO View Post
              I'v had a look at it now - good find & thanks for sharing, John!
              No problem, Frank. Just found it by accident after doing a general search!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                The pity Frank is that what is Bakers Row in 1888 is not named
                On the 1872 map just posted by John G, Baker's Row is named as such, so doesn't seem like this was ever Church Row.

Comment

Actually, on that map Hanbury Street appears to be referred to as Brown's Lane, Montugue Street and Preston Street.
                  And the Preston St section seems to have changed to Well St, before the whole thing became Hanbury St. No wonder there are press reports complaining about all the street name changes!

Comment

Thanks Frank. I've you looked at the Stanford Maps from 1872? The search feature's a bit limited, so I'm struggling to find relevant locations. Nonetheless, looks like another excellent resource: http://london1872.com/stanford37.htm
                    Hi John,

Didnt have this one so great.
                    It shows Bakers Row as such in 1872, so still not clear how church street becomes Church Row, again possible misreporting.

And additionally no sign of a Campbell Street, so josh is probably correct it was a mistake by the reporter.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                      On the 1872 map just posted by John G, Baker's Row is named as such, so doesn't seem like this was ever Church Row.
                      Agreed. Probably a local name or just miss heard and reported.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                        Agreed. Probably a local name or just miss heard and reported.
                        Maybe Paul said it was the corner of Church Street and Baker's Row, and the reporter's pen ran out of ink in the middle of writing it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                          Maybe Paul said it was the corner of Church Street and Baker's Row, and the reporter's pen ran out of ink in the middle of writing it?
                          As plausible as anything else

steve

Comment

• [QUOTE=John G;425040]Hi Robert,

But if he wasn't being completely honest, why come up with a story about being wanted by another officer? I mean, in these circumstances he must have realized the men would contradict him.
                            Indeed.

Pierre

Comment

• [QUOTE=Pierre;425189]
                              Originally posted by John G View Post
                              Hi Robert,

Indeed.

Pierre
                              yes but it would be his word against theirs, and could be written off as a misunderstand, as it seems it was.

Far better to have a dispute on those grounds, than one on other issues.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
                                A possibility is that Mizen did not take Cross and Paul seriously,and had no intention of doing anything in relation to what was said,or of asking questions and taking names.However,to be absolutely sure,after finishing knocking up,he made a quick trip to the junction of Bucks Row,and seeing activity there,joined in.The question then was,how to explain his presence,his absence from his beat,and his failure to question Cross/Paul,and the simplest explanation w as to claim that the two Carmen had simply told him he was wanted by an officer in Bucks Row,or words to that effect,not that a woman might be dead.
                                And saying this you have to ignore all the problems with such an idea pointed out by David Orsam.

His dear boy Pierre

Comment

Working...
                                X