Private individual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private individual

Hi, the following is the statement of James Harvey provided at Catherine Eddowes inquestApologies if it has been discussed before

“James Harvey, City constable, 964: On the night of Saturday, Sept. 29, I was on duty in the neighbourhood of Houndsditch and Aldgate. I was there at the time of the murder, but did not see any one nor hear any cry. When I got into Aldgate, returning towards Duke-street, I heard a whistle and saw the witness Morris with a lamp. I asked him what was the matter, and he told me that a woman had been ripped up in Mitre-square. Together with Constable Hollins I went to Mitre-square, where Watkins was by the side of the body of the deceased. Hollins went for Dr. Sequeira, and a private individual was despatched for other constables, who arrived almost immediately, having heard the whistle. I waited with Watkins, and information was sent to the inspector.”

Notice that Harvey makes a reference to a private individual who was despatched to find other constables. Is he referring to Morris, or was there another unknown individual at the scene?

Sounds like someone other than Morris. If it were Morris he probably would have just said so considering his name had already been brought up.

Dan Norder
    Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
    Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Dan

That's what I thought. the term "private individual", does seem to refer to a member of the public, and if it's not Morris, then we seem to have a mystery man on our hands.

all the best

Observer

Comment

Hi All,

Eddowes Inquest Testimony—

[George James Morris] "I ran up Mitre-street into Aldgate, blowing my whistle all the while."

Mystery solved.

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi Simon

So Harvey who later identified the whistle blower as Morris went to Mitre Square with Morris and Hollins? If the "private individaul" was Morris, why did he not refer to Morris by name the second time? Was Morris then sent out a second time to find more policemen?

all the best

Comment

Hi Observer,

Trying to create coherent scenarios from all the various testimonies makes my brain hurt, so I'll "pass" on this one if I may.

Good luck.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

HeHe Simon

You are correct, Harvey testified that only he and Hollins made off for Mitre Square after his encounter with Morris, he then brings the private individual into play. It could well be that Morris returned, and in the heat of the moment Harvey didn't recognise him the second time and referred to him as a "Private individual"

all the best

observer

Comment

Hi Observer,

Oh, good! Phew!

At the risk of further brain ache, may I suggest the possibility that PC HOLLINS [who I cannot find anywhere] was in fact Edwin COLLINS, City Police Constable 621. See The Times, 10th January 1887.

Pass the aspirin, Mother.

Regards,

Simon
                Last edited by Simon Wood; 08-10-2008, 02:45 AM. Reason: spolling mistook

Comment

Paracetemol do?

I'll look tomorrow

Observer

Comment

Laudanum is best.

Comment

Laudanum?

Whew!!!

Stolid English here David. Aspirin and cocoa

Observer

Comment

Could be a toast for Thomas (De Quincey, not Cutbush).
                        Jesus! Aspirin and cocoa? Whose prescription is that? Dr Giggles'?

Amitiés,
                        David

Comment

No

Dr Frederick William Blackwell PHD 100 Commercial Road London England

all the best

Observer

Comment

Hi Simon

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                            Hi All,

Eddowes Inquest Testimony—

[George James Morris] "I ran up Mitre-street into Aldgate, blowing my whistle all the while."

Mystery solved.

Regards,

Simon
                            The "private individual" couldn't have been Morris, as after he followed Harvey and Holland back into Mitre Square, he than went back to secure his job at the warehouse. He couldn't have been the "private individual," as that person was sent to go look for other policemen, after Harvey arrived at the crime scene.

Could it have been Halse or one of the two detectives with him, although why refer to detectives as private individuals?

all the best

Observer

Comment

" Hey you with the chalk in your hand! Run and get some policemen, and for God's sake get rid of that disgusting apron!"
                              huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X