How Drunk Was Mary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

I also think that her client took advantage of her extreme inebriation to murder her.
    I've always thought there was a problem with this statement.

In that, I come from the North East of England where people like a beer, and I see you're in Glasgow; so you'd know, and I know, that when you walk behind a drunk person you know he/she has had too much beer.

But, suddenly, when Mary turns to face Cox, Mary is obviously drunk. This doesn't make sense to me at all, because it's your balance that gives the game away first and foremost, and this would be obvious walking behind her.

The one caveat in this is that 'drunk' is relative, and I'd assume that Cox meant half-cut and only on this basis does the story become plausible.

I'd guess she'd had a couple of gins at the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
      To be fair, although Cox followed Kelly down the passage, she doesn't say Kelly was staggering or so drunk she was unable to walk straight. What she does say is, "I did not notice she was drunk until she said good night".
      Which is consistent with Hutchinson's "spreeish".

Might I offer a suggestion, if you really want to know why prostitutes go out in inclement weather, even after a few beers, why don't you ask a prostitute?

Who better to give you a true answer?
      And the answer will probably be that they're desperately short of money - which Kelly was.
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
        I know some very high functioning alcoholics, I have seen Barristers run criminal trials while drunk, I have seen a watch maker rebuild a watch, when he could barely talk. Many people have no grasp of how efficiently an alcoholic can operate even when drunk.
        A good friend of mine was married to someone who could cut a picture mount perfectly when drunk but couldn't do it half as well when he was sober.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
          A good friend of mine was married to someone who could cut a picture mount perfectly when drunk but couldn't do it half as well when he was sober.
          I don't doubt that for one minute. I knew a truck driver who couldn't get his truck in the shed sober, but drunk perfect about 99% of the time, take a wall out the other 1%.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

There is only one account of Mary ever bringing a man other than Barnett to her room
            There is more than one account: Mrs Cox's 'Blotchy Face' and Hutchinson's 'Astrakhan Man'. Regardless of whether or not you consider both accounts to be credible, the fact remains that there are two accounts, not one.

Also, there is only one night in her life about which anyone was ever questioned. Your use of the word 'ever' needs to be viewed in that light.
            Last edited by Bridewell; 10-14-2014, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Also why does Joe say they separated?

What does her death certificate give as occupation?
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Do we have a reliable description of George Hutchinson? Apart from stocky and had a military bearing?
                The man described by Cox was stocky also...
                I have often wondered what Hutchinson was doing there, lurking about outside Miller's Court. We only have his word that Mary went out again, no one else saw her.
                Sarah Lewis saw him, and he had to come up with a reason why he was there, hence his rather elaborate description of a man that, in my opinion, was a figment of his imagination.
                Could Hutchinson have been Mary's killer? After all, we only have his word that he was hanging around. What if he had just left Miller's Court when he was seen? Sarah said it was between 2.am an 3.am that she saw him.
                Mary had eaten fish and potato that night and the food was still recognisable in her stomach. That suggests to me that she died within two hours of eating that meal, certainly not very long after.
                Hutchinson may well have been leaving, and was not hanging around at all.
                Three o'clock Mary's room was quiet and dark, no obvious roaring fire...
                I think she was already dead by then and maybe Hutchinson was the murderer.
                Odd how he disappeared so soon after his statement.

Comment

Amazing how everyone says no one else saw her, what about Maurice Lewis and Mrs Maxwell, I know that many people want to dismiss them but in Ripperland many want to dismiss anyone or anything that is inconvenient.
                  G U T

Comment

Also why does Joe say they separated?

What does her death certificate give as occupation?
                    He did not like her out on the street, and he objected to the women that stayed in their room.
                    The death certificate said "Prostitute"

Amanda

Comment

Amazing how everyone says no one else saw her, what about Maurice Lewis and Mrs Maxwell, I know that many people want to dismiss them but in Ripperland many want to dismiss anyone or anything that is inconvenient.
                      Not inconvenient, just that the days were muddled up. She had been dead for a long time by the time they got into that little room.

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Sumner View Post
                        Not inconvenient, just that the days were muddled up. She had been dead for a long time by the time they got into that little room.

Amanda
                        Well why wasn't Mrs Cox's and/or Mrs Prater's day mixed up?
                        G U T

Comment

Well why wasn't Mrs Cox's and/or Mrs Prater's day mixed up?

Good question. I am puzzled about these two sightings but Lewis could not have possibly seen Mary at 10 am. She was found dead 45 minutes later.

Maxwell's story is odd. I think it must have been another morning because I cannot imagine the killer performing those atrocities in broad daylight with the risk of being easily discovered.

Also, when the room was broken into and the body was examined, rigor mortis was very marked, which suggested that it was well over 6 hours since she had died, maybe twice that.
                          It's a shame that the inquest did not give us a time of death, or we knew when Mary had eaten her last meal. It is my opinion that she died within 2 hours of eating that meal.

Comment

If any/all these witnesses were themselves heavy drinkers or alcoholics it's surely possible that a lot of things that they reported to the police and the press would be fuzzy in their memories and just plain muddled.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                              If any/all these witnesses were themselves heavy drinkers or alcoholics it's surely possible that a lot of things that they reported to the police and the press would be fuzzy in their memories and just plain muddled.

In some cases, yes. However, alcohol played such a large part of the lives in the Eastend that we would have absolutely nothing to go on if we dismiss all the witness statements on those grounds. The police dismissed Lewis's statement because it was so far fetched, but Maxwell's statement was heard at the inquest and it was decided that she was obviously mistaken because Kelly had been dead, in the opinion of the doctors, much earlier than 8.30.am
                              I find it odd that Hutchinson's statement was not treated with more suspicion, instead it seems to have been accepted and he is sent on his way.
                              Why did he feel he had to come forward at all? To try and get money from it? Have his turn in the limelight?
                              I find his behaviour very odd on the night of Kelly's murder and his statement even more bizarre.
                              Last edited by Amanda Sumner; 10-14-2014, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I don't think Hutchinson's behaviour was so bizarre. He obviously knew Mary, fancied her and had been her client a few times.

He didn't have any money to give her on that particular night, but he hung around outside Miller's Court IMO in the hope that Astrakhan man would go after an hour or so and then Mary, tipsy and well-paid from her client might take pity on him on a cold damp night and invite him in for a freebie in her nice warm bed.

Not everything has to have a sinister intent. He probably hung about in the cold and then, with nothing moving in Millers Court, walked away thinking "Oh well, when I get some money...."

Comment

Working...
                                X