MJK Remembrance: 125 Years Later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJK Remembrance: 125 Years Later

Before it slips by, right about now is the 125 anniversary of her death. Remembering a woman time has both remembered and lost; a lady who laughed and loved and would have been a fun drinking partner. RIP, Mary.

RIP indeed.

I'm really surprised such a milestone anniversary has been allowed to slip by so quietly.
    “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
      RIP indeed.

I'm really surprised such a milestone anniversary has been allowed to slip by so quietly.
      Likewise...I raised a glass anyhow

All the best

Dave

Comment

We may never find out who killed you but, God willing, we'll one day find out who you were.

R.I.P. The lady known to history as Marie Jeanette Kelly.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

I'll bump this thread to push it ahead of the distasteful Van Gogh nonsense.
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Quite right Colin...My inclination so far has been to share a laugh about the VVGs - but the cynical use of a victims murder anniversary to promote a book that's going to bomb anyway is just too much...

All the best

Dave

Comment

A fun drinking partner, indeed. Let's not forget what she did for a living but apparently she would even sing for her clients at times. I've stood on "Mary's Corner" in front of the Ten Bells. Looking up at the looming spire of Chistchurch across the street it made me wonder how that view made her feel, a Catholic girl plying her sinful trade in the shadow of that beautiful church. Guilty, or wickedly amused? There is no vestige of her to be felt at the murder site in my opinion, but on that corner there definitely is. And her grave is absolutely heartbreaking. After 125 years people still leave her flowers and gifts.

It's a good day to dig out my VHS recording of the 1988 "Jack the Ripper" miniseries starring Michael Caine and watch the scenes featuring Mary Kelly, played with perhaps a bit too exaggerated Irish accent by the British Lysette Anthony. I know it is far from accurate, but the scene where Thomas Bowyer looks through the window and discovers the body is pretty spot-on at conveying the horror of that day. I can't imagine what it must have been like for everyone that saw it. Worse than the Black Dahlia.

Rest in peace, Mary. You did not deserve that.

Comment

Gone but never forgotten

R.I.P Mary

Comment

Yes it's a shame what happened to her. If she is anywhere, she is probably having a laugh that folks are searching for her under the wrong name.

Comment

Working...
                  X