Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horrible, horrible paintings and - a body in a river?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rosey, in all seriousness - did Sickert not have alternate titles for many of his paintings?

If so, I cannot really understand the undertone of triumph in your posts. The painting had one title - and, like other of his paintings, it also had another.

That is either a fact, or perhaps, Manchester Gallery pulled the title "Jack the Ripper's Bedroom" out of their collective bungholes for the sheer enjoyment of watching Patty Cornwell spasm over it.

Comment

Practically everything that is some kind of commercial work of art, whether it's a painting, novel, or movie, has at least two titled.

It has, at least, the working title the author uses to discuss it while it is in production, "Tomorrow is Another Day" for "Gone with the Wind," for example, beautifully parodied in Shakespeare in Love, where the working title of Romeo and Juliet is "Romeo and Ethel, the Pirate's Daughter." The eventual title a work ends up with is chosen for commercial considerations, and occasionally the author hates it, and refuses to use it privately.

Sometimes a work has a fake title to keep away the public, such as when Return of the Jedi was in production, and was called "Blue Harvest." Foreign works sometimes end up with multiple names in English, because they get retitled for the initial release, but word of mouth has already spread news of the title in translation. Also, occasionally UK and US releases of books and films have different titles.

So, you shouldn't read too much into a work having multiple titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ausgirl View Post
        Rosey, in all seriousness - did Sickert not have alternate titles for many of his paintings?

If so, I cannot really understand the undertone of triumph in your posts. The painting had one title - and, like other of his paintings, it also had another.

That is either a fact, or perhaps, Manchester Gallery pulled the title "Jack the Ripper's Bedroom" out of their collective bungholes for the sheer enjoyment of watching Patty Cornwell spasm over it.
        Ausgirl,

"Undertone of triumph." (Gulp). Me? But I informed Patricia and her reply was...to avoid the weirdos on JTR Forums at all cost! [Before the messier side of her life kicked in.]
        It is most certainly not an "undertone of triumph" you detect...possibly, you have confused me with Patricia's imfamous exclamation: "Did you see that glint of evil!" Anyway, in it's own way the title: "Jack the Ripper's Bedroom",
        has the more sinister 'tone' than, " Venetian Blind". Horrible.
        As Ever,

Rosey

Comment

Ausgirl,

We can agree that the painting entitled, "The Raising of Lazarus", is really weird. Any observations to share. Much abliged.

As Ever,
          Rosey

Comment

Jack the Ripper`s Bedroom.

The imaginative Sickert I`m sure found the painting`s inspiration from a fanciful tale his landlady furnished, based on `the lodger` theory / rumour that was spreading about the East-End at that time. This tale his landlady gave was that prior to Sickert staying with her, the room had apparently been let to a single man with mysterious nocturnal habits. She had convinced herself (probably due to `the lodger` rumour / theory) that she had housed the murderer. Sickert loved the idea that he may be staying in the same room as Jack the Ripper once did, hence his painting, & it`s startling title. Of-course Sickert was not the murderer, but he certainly did have a rather unhealthy (& potentially damaging) interest in `Jack`.

Comment

I like his work... many are subpar, but many are fantastic. The ones he pretended to paint if France are among the best.

Comment

Working...
              X