Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well too bad...cause Doyle it was.....Doyle working with Van Gogh and Joseph Merrick calling themselves the trilogy of evil....Doyle was the brains....Van Gogh the muscle and Merrick was the decoy....very much like the Lon Chaney film The Unholy Three!!!!
    If not for Houdini and his brother Hardeen (both kids at the time...but already super genius) the murders may have contined.....but you have to wait for the book for the reasons why.....MY book not David's ..just to be clear....

And yes....I am joking....just showing how wild this field can get (because I would be willing to bet I could find a publisher for that in a heartbeat!!!)

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
      Well too bad...cause Doyle it was.....Doyle working with Van Gogh and Joseph Merrick calling themselves the trilogy of evil....Doyle was the brains....Van Gogh the muscle and Merrick was the decoy....very much like the Lon Chaney film The Unholy Three!!!!
      If not for Houdini and his brother Hardeen (both kids at the time...but already super genius) the murders may have contined.....but you have to wait for the book for the reasons why.....MY book not David's ..just to be clear....

And yes....I am joking....just showing how wild this field can get (because I would be willing to bet I could find a publisher for that in a heartbeat!!!)

Steadmund Brand
      You might be able to Stead but happily Dale (the Van Gogh man) is having to try to raise money to get his nonsense published because no one with a brain will touch it with a barge pole. I believe 100% in freedom of speech (without exception) but its incumbent on people to show ethical judgement. The fact that van Gogh was in France at the time of the murders and utterly penniless should deter anyone from a character assassination but sadly its not the case. Likewise the Doyle book. An author that we know so much about. A particular hero of mine as you might guess from my name. As you will know, there is not a single, solitary smidgeon of evidence again him and yet the character assassination went on. Its very, very sad what people will do for nothing other than cash or five minutes of infamy.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        Im quite partial to a bit of Kraftwerk Stead
        Now you're talking Herlock!

Love,

Caz
        X
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
          Yes, we do Herlock. It all began some months earlier, well before the start of the Jack the Ripper murders.

This is from my now famous online article, "The English Detective":

"By way of background, the British Government, on 8 March 1884, had ordered that the baggage of all passengers arriving in the United Kingdom from foreign countries would be searched for dynamite or other explosives. This, inevitably, created inconvenience at customs for passengers arriving in the U.K, and, some four years later, on 22 March 1888, Richard Prowse, Secretary to the Board of Customs, wrote to the Home Secretary informing him that:

'...the Board of Customs have under consideration an application from the London and North Western Railway Company requesting that the Baggage of Passengers arriving at Liverpool from America and proceeding over the company's line to London may, if registered for London, be sent thither from Liverpool, in locked vans and undergo the requisite customs examination at the Euston Square terminus in London; and that there is reason to believe that an application to the same effect will be received from the Midland Railway company with respect to the Baggage of passengers from America who may come to London by that company's line to St Pancras terminus'
          (HO 45/9686/A48584).

The views of the Assistant Commissioner of the C.I.D. were sought on the railway company's application and, on 2 April 1888, James Monro, who did not like the idea, wrote to the Home Office saying:

'If it was considered necessary that police should be present at the examination of luggage, this could not be effected without employing a considerable number of constables' (HO 45/9686/A48584)."

This led to further correspondence which prompted Warren's letter of 23 October.
          Hi David,

I'm now waiting for someone to argue that the authorities were anticipating Tumblety's arrival in the UK back in 1884 and taking reasonable precautions, knowing he was a violent woman hater who might well turn his hand to serial killing, if not in Whitechapel Liverpool, then in Whitechapel London.

I was only joshing by the way about Spandau Ballet. I didn't actually mind them back in the 80s, but I don't think time has been kind to the music. And my better half wouldn't give 'em house room. Mind you, he's more of a mod, jazz and soul man.

Love,

Caz
          X
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

You might be able to Stead but happily Dale (the Van Gogh man) is having to try to raise money to get his nonsense published because no one with a brain will touch it with a barge pole. I believe 100% in freedom of speech (without exception) but its incumbent on people to show ethical judgement. The fact that van Gogh was in France at the time of the murders and utterly penniless should deter anyone from a character assassination but sadly its not the case. Likewise the Doyle book. An author that we know so much about. A particular hero of mine as you might guess from my name. As you will know, there is not a single, solitary smidgeon of evidence again him and yet the character assassination went on. Its very, very sad what people will do for nothing other than cash or five minutes of infamy.
            And I am a Houdini guy, a personal hero of mine, so I tend to have some issues with Doyle, not as a writer mind you, there I am quite a fan, but of the man himself, but this is something for a different thread...and possibly even a Rippercast

Steadmund Brand
            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• It was Oscar Wilde. A medium told him that he'd murder and mutilate several women, so he did the crimes to get them out of the way.

Regards

Sav

Comment

• Caz, I think 'True' was a great record.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                  And I am a Houdini guy, a personal hero of mine, so I tend to have some issues with Doyle, not as a writer mind you, there I am quite a fan, but of the man himself, but this is something for a different thread...and possibly even a Rippercast

Steadmund Brand
                  Im definitely on the Houdini side of the Spiritualist debate Stead. Im afraid Doyle became obsessed by little more than wishful thinking. The Cottingley Fairies episode was embarrassing.
                  Then he married, and became enthralled by a charlatan, Jean, with her ‘spirit guide.’ Aaaagggghhh.

I wish that we could just ‘delete’ that part of his life.

I did read a biography of Houdini a few years ago. A remarkable man
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                    Now you're talking Herlock!

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    I forgot, i like Japan too. Anything with Sylvian really.

At heart im a prog rock man though
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Im quite partial to a bit of Kraftwerk Stead
                      Kraftwerk! I heard about them because my first roommate in college used to work out to them. LOL. hed dancy himself into a sweaty frenzy!
                      "Is all that we see or seem
                      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                        Kraftwerk! I heard about them because my first roommate in college used to work out to them. LOL. hed dancy himself into a sweaty frenzy!
                        Im certainly not a dancer Abby
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• As this thread seems to have morphed into a thread about me and then into one about Spandau Ballet, perhaps I can combine the two topics and provide some more information for the file which Mike Hawley appears to be compiling on me (inaccurately so far).

As an amateur songwriter, I had the pleasure a few years ago of recording one of my songs with the legendary Steve Norman, the sax player from Spandau Ballet. He performed a great sax solo on the track, comparable in my opinion with his solo on 'True', and anyone who is interested in hearing this can find the song here:

p.s. I actually recorded two songs with Steve (with him playing another great solo), the second one being here:

Last edited by David Orsam; 05-17-2018, 12:17 PM.

Comment

This is the complete text of a letter written by Sir Charles Warren to the Under Secretary of State at the Home Office dated 23rd October 1888. I should say that I incorrectly date this letter to 22nd October 1888 in my online article, which I will correct at the next opportunity, and the file reference in the National Archives is HO/9686/A48584 (not A484584 as the article has it):

"Sir,

With reference to your letter of the 5th ulto, A48584/10, I have to acquaint you for the information of the Secretary of State that I have directed the necessary enquiries to be made and have ascertained the particulars as to the number of trains which will arrive at Euston daily with passengers from America, and the hours of their arrival; and as two Police Constables must be present at each examination of luggage, I find it necessary to have three reliefs, thus requiring an augmentation of six Police Constables.

I have therefore to ask for authority for this increase. I should explain, however, that one of the three reliefs will be required to deal with passengers arriving during the night, and until the frequency of such arrivals has been tested only four Constables will be actually appointed under the authority now sought.

The Midland Railway Company will no doubt apply to have similar arrangements made at St Pancras Station, and this will necessitate my seeking a still further increase of six Constables for that duty.

The cost of the augmentation shall be chargeable to the Special Vote.

I am,

Sir,

Your most obedient servant,

[Signed: C. Warren]"

It will be noted that the Chief Commissioner is seeking authority for the deployment of 12 constables at the two London train stations BEFORE Tumblety has even been arrested.
                            Getting this thread back on topic, it will be seen above that Sir Charles Warren was replying to a Home Office letter dated 5th September 1888. This is the text of that letter:

Sir,

With reference to your letter of the 2nd July last and previous correspondence regarding the proposal that the through baggage of passengers from America should be examined in London instead of at Liverpool I am directed by the Secretary of State to say that he is anxious in the interest of public convenience to assent to this proposal if satisfactory arrangements for the purpose can be made; and I am to transmit copy of a letter from the Inman and International Steamship Company giving details of the arrangements which they would propose to adopt, and of the provision which they would make for the attendance of the Police; and to request the favour of your observations therein.

I am,

Sir,

Your obedient servant,

[Signed]

Comment

As this thread seems to have morphed into a thread about me and then into one about Spandau Ballet, perhaps I can combine the two topics and provide some more information for the file which Mike Hawley appears to be compiling on me (inaccurately so far).

As an amateur songwriter, I had the pleasure a few years ago of recording one of my songs with the legendary Steve Norman, the sax player from Spandau Ballet. He performed a great sax solo on the track, comparable in my opinion with his solo on 'True', and anyone who is interested in hearing this can find the song here:

p.s. I actually recorded two songs with Steve (with him playing another great solo), the second one being here:

http://www.themusichutch.com/listen-...fontana/28222/
                              Hi David
                              do you play an instrument also on the track? or in general?

also, ordered your book on SB a couple of weeks ago. looking forwar to reading it!
                              "Is all that we see or seem
                              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                                Hi David
                                do you play an instrument also on the track? or in general?

also, ordered your book on SB a couple of weeks ago. looking forwar to reading it!
                                Hi Abby,

No, I'm not on the track at all - am very much a non-performing songwriter. Have learnt to play chords on a keyboard (which is how I now write songs) but that's the extent of my musical ability.

Thank you for ordering my book, I do hope you enjoy it!

Comment

Working...
                                X