Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any have a copy of Foul Deeds in Islington by John J Eddleston (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any have a copy of Foul Deeds in Islington by John J Eddleston (2010)

If anyone has a copy of

Foul Deeds in Islington by John J Eddleston (2010)

would they please contact me?

Thank you so much

Helena

PS yes I posted this elsewhere in error, it should be in this section - sorry!
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
    If anyone has a copy of

Thank you so much

Helena

PS yes I posted this elsewhere in error, it should be in this section - sorry!
    There is a copy on Amazon, used and they also sell copies of it on ebay.

Comment

Yes indeed, but that wasn't my question :-)

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

If anyone has a copy of

Hi Helena

Yes, I've got this book which has a long chapter on Chapman but I presumed that there wouldn't be anything in it that you didn't already know.

PM me if you have any questions.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post

I presumed that there wouldn't be anything in it that you didn't already know.
          Well, there is -- I didn't know that the Southwark Poisoner did all his poisonings in ... Islington!

Or should I say ?

Helena

Comment

I've told a few people about this and they are staggered!

Comment

I've told a few people about this and they are staggered!
              Well it's only a local history book, Helena, unlikely to be bought by anyone outside NW London. It's actually rather good, apart from the Chapman chapter, with some terrific Ripperesque artwork on the cover

Also strange is that Crippen, the most famous Islington murderer ever, is not mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                Well it's only a local history book, Helena, unlikely to be bought by anyone outside NW London. It's actually rather good, apart from the Chapman chapter, with some terrific Ripperesque artwork on the cover

Also strange is that Crippen, the most famous Islington murderer ever, is not mentioned.
                Hello Stephen

"it's only a local history book"

I am sorry to disagree with you my good friend, but I honestly can't understand why anyone would think that makes any difference.

I have written four local history books and edited, proofread and published six by other authors, and the same requirement of intellectual honesty applies to them as to a book with aspirations to national readership.

Also, as buyers of local history books we pay good money for them (I see Eddleston's book is over £13) and I genuinely believe that entitles us to the same standards as a national book.

And you are correct, the omission of Crippen is indeed odd, if Crippen killed in Islington borough! I did have a quick scoot around but didn't find out where Hilldrop Cresent used to be.

But I am really glad to hear that you liked the rest of his book. Personally, I would not be able to trust anything Eddleston writes now that I know that he has twisted the facts about Chapman to suit his own agenda.

Best wishes,

Helena

PS I've sold my local history books to buyers all over the world.

Comment

Hello Stephen

"it's only a local history book"

I am sorry to disagree with you my good friend, but I honestly can't understand why anyone would think that makes any difference.

I have written four local history books and edited, proofread and published six by other authors, and the same requirement of intellectual honesty applies to them as to a book with aspirations to national readership.

Also, as buyers of local history books we pay good money for them (I see Eddleston's book is over £13) and I genuinely believe that entitles us to the same standards as a national book.
                  Hi Helena

You've got me bang to rights there and no mistake.

Last Tuesday I woke up completely blind in one eye and was sent to Moorfields Eye Hospital near Old Street for an operation to correct a detached retina which may or may not have been successful.

I'll be going back for a check up in a few days and will see what remains of Bartholemew Square.

Comment

You poor thing! That sounds terrifying! Was it just out of the blue, or an existing condition. There's nothing to see at B. Sq, even for a two-eyed Stephen! Good luck, hope you will be OK. Fingers crossed! Helena

Comment

You poor thing! That sounds terrifying! Was it just out of the blue, or an existing condition. There's nothing to see at B. Sq, even for a two-eyed Stephen! Good luck, hope you will be OK. Fingers crossed! Helena
                      Thanks

Totally out of the blue, Helena and very distressing but it's good to be reminded of how magnificent our National Health Service is.

I'll check out Bartholemew Square just for jolly.

Comment

Totally out of the blue, Helena and very distressing but it's good to be reminded of how magnificent our National Health Service is.
                        You're not wrong there Stephen...Thursday I'm in for an MRI Scan...and despite being a child of the NHS age I'm still stunned all this is free at the point of treatment...

Good Luck mate...I really do hope all goes well!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Hello Dave, seeing as you have joined this thread, what do you make of Eddleston's actions?

Helena

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                            Good Luck mate...I really do hope all goes well!

Thanks for the good wishes, Dave and the same to you.

Comment

Hi Helena

All I know of Eddleston's treatment of Chapman is what I read in his encyclopaedia...and I'm afraid I know far too little of Chapman to critique it in any way...which is another reason I'm eagerly awaiting your book...

The Eddleston encyclopaedia, as a whole though, is pretty readable, and often gives a refreshingly different "take" compared to the standard narratives...I always enjoy dipping into it...that may just be me of course...

But thereagain I'd be bound to be biased in favour of an author who's settled in West Sussex, (where I've settled), near to Brighton, (where I was born and raised), wouldn't I? What do you reckon Helena, Lancing, Steyning, Henfield, Ditchling perhaps?

All the best

Dave

PS It'd be interesting to get hold of a copy of "Murderous Sussex" to see if there are any startling ommissions in there too...perhaps if my already overladen "to read" list permits sometime...

Comment

Working...
                              X