• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan Wants Foreign Tourists to Avoid Public Flatulence

c.d.

Public flatulence .... Interesting.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      Public flatulence .... Interesting.
      I just hope they don't intend to make a big stink over it.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        I just hope they don't intend to make a big stink over it.

c.d.
        I think that's what they might be trying to avoid.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I think that Japanese officials should sit down with the foreign tourists and discuss cultural differences. You know, just sort of clear the air.

c.d.
          Last edited by c.d.; 05-26-2016, 04:28 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I hope the Japanese find us as surrealistically amusing as we find them. It would be a shame for them to miss out on such entertainment.
            - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
              I hope the Japanese find us as surrealistically amusing as we find them. It would be a shame for them to miss out on such entertainment.
              It might be hard to translate "the one who smelt it probably dealt it" into Japanese.

c.d.

Comment

Beware the kamikaze khazi.

Comment

My advice to anyone who does commit such a faux pas, is to try to lighten the mood by crying "Name that tune."

Comment

To be fair... Chinese tourists are horrible. Like really horrible. I've seen people from all over be obnoxious and boorish when traveling, Russians and Americans both have some real jackholes going out into the world and deserve at least some of their bad reputations, but I don't think any other country is as flat out abusive with such consistency toward everyone and everything as the groups of Chinese tourists I've encountered. I really don't blame that tourist board for making an etiquette guide. I have no doubt they are at the end of their rope.
                    I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
                      To be fair... Chinese tourists are horrible. Like really horrible. I've seen people from all over be obnoxious and boorish when traveling, Russians and Americans both have some real jackholes going out into the world and deserve at least some of their bad reputations, but I don't think any other country is as flat out abusive with such consistency toward everyone and everything as the groups of Chinese tourists I've encountered. I really don't blame that tourist board for making an etiquette guide. I have no doubt they are at the end of their rope.
                      I think any culture can be offended by just about any other culture over something or another.
                      G U T

Comment

I think any culture can be offended by just about any other culture over something or another.
                        Good point GUT. I was thinking of saying something negative about a certain country, but it really is unfair to the majority of it's citizens.

It wasn't Australia or New Zealand by the by.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                          Good point GUT. I was thinking of saying something negative about a certain country, but it really is unfair to the majority of it's citizens.

It wasn't Australia or New Zealand by the by.

Jeff
                          I'm sure that there are things Aussies take for granted that annoy other cultures. Just as I am sure much of it is generalisations, most Aussies find it a bit funny that Americans seem to think they are the greatest nation on earth (and yep that's a generalisation and I know many really nice Americans) and seem to think everything in America is bigger, not realising that Australia is about the same size but with only 6 States so when the go on about how big, say Texas is, we find it a bit laughable.

But I know some Aussies who are real arrogant too.
                          G U T

Comment

Without a doubt and usually I would completely agree that was probably what it is. I just don't think what I have seen as frequently repeated behavior from Chinese tourists, like kicking displays in museums, pushing over interactive display carts, physically knocking around children waiting in front, throwing drinks or repeatedly spitting on others, is widely embraced anywhere. Granted, despite trying very hard to make it work a couple times, I have yet to get to China so its possible that's just how they do things.
                            And I don't mean to imply I think every tourist from China does these things, this is just behavior that I have seen repeatedly and with a high occurrence rate. I tend to think it's more that international travel has only really opened up to many there in the last 20 or so years, as I understand it, and that tends to make people a little too crazed when getting away from their day to day, and probably more than a little repressed, life. I call it Spring Break Madness.
                            I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

I'm sure that there are things Aussies take for granted that annoy other cultures. Just as I am sure much of it is generalisations, most Aussies find it a bit funny that Americans seem to think they are the greatest nation on earth (and yep that's a generalisation and I know many really nice Americans) and seem to think everything in America is bigger, not realising that Australia is about the same size but with only 6 States so when the go on about how big, say Texas is, we find it a bit laughable.

But I know some Aussies who are real arrogant too.
                              Aussies have good reason to be proud to the point of arrogance, as do we. Both countries, to a large degree, were founded by the rejects and misfits that England didn't want, and both have succeeded wildly.

You'll have a hard search too, at least in my experience, to find an American who doesn't regard Australians as kindred spirits.
                              - Ginger

Comment

Working...
                              X