Separate Bathrooms by Religion? - A New Front in Transgender Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aha, thanks, Graham.

We camped during summer vacations, so I'm familiar with outhouses, and have "gone in the bushes" once or twice.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
      Sorry, can't agree. If the word "crap" was used in Britain prior to Mr Crapper's noble invention, then his name must have been a massive coincidence.
      Yes, just a coincidence. No doubt he was very aware of this fact and perhaps played on it in his marketing.

Here is an article from the Huff Post, which includes a poem using "crap" which was written 50 years before the birth of Thomas Crapper.

Comment

The History of Thomas Crapper “He started a business and created a legend” In 1861 Thomas Crapper started a plumbing and sanitary engineering business. He quickly gained a reputation for high quality work. As the business grew Thomas realised that there was a sizeable market for high quality bathrooms and toilets in addition to his services as a plumber. This led him to open the world’s very first bathroom showroom in 1870 to complement his plumbing services. Today we retain that same pride in the quality of product that Thomas himself set and now offer a wide range of exceptional bathroom products. For over 150 years Thomas Crapper & Co. has been true to the ethos that if you buy...

Comment

crap (v.) Look up crap at Dictionary.com
          "defecate," 1846, from one of a cluster of words generally applied to things cast off or discarded (such as "weeds growing among corn" (early 15c.), "residue from renderings" (late 15c.), underworld slang for "money" (18c.), and in Shropshire, "dregs of beer or ale"), all probably from Middle English crappe "grain that was trodden underfoot in a barn, chaff" (mid-15c.), from Middle French crape "siftings," from Old French crappe, from Medieval Latin crappa, crapinum "chaff." Related: Crapped; crapping.

Despite folk etymology insistence, not from Thomas Crapper (1837-1910) who was, however, a busy plumber and may have had some minor role in the development of modern toilets. The name Crapper is a northern form of Cropper (attested from 1221), an occupational surname, obviously, but the exact reference is unclear. Crap (v.) as a variant of crop (v.) was noted early 19c, as a peculiarity of speech in Scotland and what was then the U.S. Southwest (Arkansas, etc.)
          Due acknowledgement to Online Etymology Dictionary

Well, I submit to your greater knowledge - here's proof enough for me that Thomas Crapper's surname was indeed coincidental.

And now I think I've earned a nice long sit down.....

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I was just filling my house-mate in on the course of this thread's discussion, and she said, "You start out with politics, and end up in the toilet-- well, you haven't gone very far, have you?!"

She also said to tell you folks that the bathroom controversy is just a ploy to manipulate the government, it's not really about religion!
            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

You need to keep in mind that a number of Christian Conservatives are still very upset about the U.S. Supreme Court legalizing same sex marriage. A number of these so called "bathroom bills"passed by some states provide them with legal cover to discriminate against gay people in a number of ways. The whole bathroom thing is just the tip of the iceberg thing to get people on their side who have no idea what all is contained in the legislation.

c.d.

Comment

I recall taking a young lady backpacking who had never been before and did not have a lot of experience with the great outdoors. She asked me where the bathrooms were and when I said there aren't any she said well what do I need to do because I have to go? When I discreetly asked if she just needed to pee or if it was more serious she replied definitely more serious. I provided detailed instructions on how to dig a hole etc. as her expression grew more horrified. She thought about for a minute and decided she would just hold it till we got back.

c.d.

Comment

Didn't you dig the hole for her, CD?

Comment

Now I can't the Spinal Tap song Stinkin' Up the Great Outdoors out of my head!!!

Steadmund Brand
                    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Bernard Cribbins, OBE (born 29 December 1928) is an English character actor, voice-over artist and musical comedian with a career spanning over seventy years...

Comment

Another good one Robert!!

Steadmund Brand
                        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          Didn't you dig the hole for her, CD?
                          No I did not, Robert. Being a gentleman, I am always ready to assist a lady in need but in this instance I got the feeling that digging the hole was not the part of the process with which she had some misgivings.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                            Hello, Caz, if the forum had a "like" button for your post, I'd use it! Yes, it is more a matter of civil rights, than religion or sexuality.
                            Thanks Pcdunn.

Although part of the problem lately is some parents listening to their young children when they say they feel as if they're a girl, not a boy, and asking schools to help educate the other students and parents about transgender children. It has led to nasty fallout, even in areas not predominantly in the so-called "Bible belt".
                            But people of all ages choose to be nasty, and that should remain their problem. Adding to the problems of the poor souls who were born, through no fault of their own, in the "wrong" body for them, is exactly that - nasty. I realise it's fear and insecurity about one's own identity that causes such nastiness towards others, but it's a poor excuse.

While I love a good healthy dollop (sorry!) of lavatorial humour, I honestly can't relate to some people's unhealthy obsession with other people's genitalia - generally well hidden and well behaved in public. Maybe it's a form of mental illness.

On a lighter note:

Here I sit, broken hearted,
                            Paid a penny and only farted.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            Last edited by caz; 05-24-2016, 07:30 AM.
                            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

The problem I envisage with all this is that of unintended consequences. I can understand how a man whose self-identity is female might feel uncomfortable using a toilet with other men; likewise how a woman in the reverse situation might find her situation similarly difficult. How though, do you distinguish between the man who is genuinely trans-gender and the opportunist rapist who seeks to take advantage of all this?

And separate 'bathrooms' by religion? How many would you need? Just 5 for the major religions of the world - or one for each of the estimated 4,200 religions that currently exist? Presumably a separate one each for atheists and agnostics too?

Also, if you don't feel uncomfortable in the company of people of your own gender in any other situation, why would you do so in a public lavatory? What difference does it make? It's not as though you have to wave your bits about in other people's faces. And won't people who are not trans-gender feel uncomfortable at having members of the opposite gender using the same facilities? What about their discomfort? Even men's toilets have cubicles as well as urinals. Why not just go into a cubicle and lock the door if you want privacy?

It's a bodily function. Get in, get on and get out.
                              Last edited by Bridewell; 05-24-2016, 07:58 AM.
                              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                                On a lighter note:

Here I sit, broken hearted,
                                Paid a penny and only farted.

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                I can remember when it was a penny. It's about the equivalent of 4/- now!
                                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X