No announcement yet.

Separate Bathrooms by Religion? - A New Front in Transgender Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pte Godfrey says 'convenience.' But I thought the word normally used by Americans was 'john.'

Comment

Or maybe 'powder my nose' for women.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
        Sorry, can't agree. If the word "crap" was used in Britain prior to Mr Crapper's noble invention, then his name must have been a massive coincidence.
        "Crapping ken" (the crap house) is attested in the OED of 1846, as a synonym for 'privy', which places it safely in use before Mr. Crapper opened for business in 1861. Oddly the OED doesn't list the verb 'to crap', but it's conclusively implied by the gerund 'crapping'.
        - Ginger

Comment

Good old fashioned Sh!thouse.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
            "Crapping ken" (the crap house) is attested in the OED of 1846, as a synonym for 'privy', which places it safely in use before Mr. Crapper opened for business in 1861. Oddly the OED doesn't list the verb 'to crap', but it's conclusively implied by the gerund 'crapping'.
            Oh yes Privvy.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
              Good old fashioned Sh!thouse.
              What better, Gut? Sums it all up and leaves nothing to the imagination. As my wife would say when the time comes, "Jesus, I could do with a ****, so where's the shithouse round here?" Mind you, she is Irish.

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

"netty" (Geordie).....
                Indeed and my dear nana had a school friend named Henrietta Hole, shortened to 'Netty Hole' quite unfortunate....

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Or maybe 'powder my nose' for women.
                Yes and if that is where our lasses nose is she has a rather big mouth! (Never did understand that phrase.)

Comment

What better, Gut? Sums it all up and leaves nothing to the imagination. As my wife would say when the time comes, "Jesus, I could do with a ****, so where's the shithouse round here?" Mind you, she is Irish.

Graham
                  I love people that call a spade a

#@?!ing shovel.
                  G U T

Comment

I always got a laugh out of "lavatories", I had a teacher in grade school (1st grade if memory serves) who would not accept ANY word but lavatories....she would cringe at even restroom or bathroom as though they were "dirty" words...let alone toilet etc....looking back now I see how odd it was, but as it has been said, Americana is a bit overly sensitive when it comes to natural body functions....there is a common condition in America ( not sure about other places) called "poop shame" ....I swear I am not making this up!!!....and I'll even admit to having this problem, I wont go at work or in public if it can be avoided...and I have no logical explanation other then that is how our society has made us....quite sad really...after all, as the best selling book says, everybody poops!!

Steadmund Brand
                    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Remind me what century we are in, someone.

If religious Americans would "go to the bathroom" in their pants (meaning they would piss or sh** themselves where they stood) at the thought of having to share a public lavatory with a transgender person (which is not just a matter of personal choice, nor an indicator of sexuality, which has bugger all to do with it) it's probably a good thing if they don't have a passport. They'd have to put their watches forward forty years when coming to Europe.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I wont go at work or in public if it can be avoided

Me too. Not out of 'poop shame' but because I'm anti-social and prefer my own toilet.

In the same way maybe, my waste products are mine and though they are not nice, they are somehow a bit nicer than other people's.

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                          Remind me what century we are in, someone.

If religious Americans would "go to the bathroom" in their pants (meaning they would piss or sh** themselves where they stood) at the thought of having to share a public lavatory with a transgender person (which is not just a matter of personal choice, nor an indicator of sexuality, which has bugger all to do with it) it's probably a good thing if they don't have a passport. They'd have to put their watches forward forty years when coming to Europe.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          Hello, Caz, if the forum had a "like" button for your post, I'd use it! Yes, it is more a matter of civil rights, than religion or sexuality.

Although part of the problem lately is some parents listening to their young children when they say they feel as if they're a girl, not a boy, and asking schools to help educate the other students and parents about transgender children. It has led to nasty fallout, even in areas not predominantly in the so-called "Bible belt".

I definitely approve of the parents supporting their children, but a six year old boy who identifies as a girl and must use the boy's restroom-- that is really setting up a situation for bullying!
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

I hope that the following doesn't have to be explained to Americans....

To A Lady Who Wanted A Penny For Two Halfpennies

Look lady, follow Olive Snell
                            To whom your accident befell.
                            It happened, as it does to many,
                            That Olive went to spend a penny.

She searched her bag, and had just one -
                            And that was bent - so what she done?
                            She went and found a spinney shady,
                            And saved herself the penny, lady!

Arnold Silcock
                            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I hope that the following doesn't have to be explained to Americans....

To A Lady Who Wanted A Penny For Two Halfpennies

Look lady, follow Olive Snell
                              To whom your accident befell.
                              It happened, as it does to many,
                              That Olive went to spend a penny.

She searched her bag, and had just one -
                              And that was bent - so what she done?
                              She went and found a spinney shady,
                              And saved herself the penny, lady!

Arnold Silcock
                              I've read enough British literature to know the expression "spend a penny" means to use a public toilet, but I have no idea what "a spinney shady" means ( a tree, perhaps)

I liked it when the current "Big Bang Theory" sitcom once had a character's mother say primly, "I have to urinate" before leaving the table. But then, we didn't even hear a toilet flush on television till the 1970s, on an episode of "All in the Family" (based, of course, on a well-known British series called, I think, "Till Death Do Us Part").
                              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                              ---------------
                              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                              ---------------

Comment

Hi Pat D,

a spinney is a small wooded area. So Olive had an al fresco (and free) piddle!

Graham

Comment

Working...
                                X