No announcement yet.

Charles Bravo: Choose Your Own Verdict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are several of those that you've mentioned ColdCase, that I am really looking forward to. I've always been especially intrigued by the Harry Oakes case with its interference in the investigation by the Duke of Windsor.

The disappearance of Shirley Collins in Melbourne, with her body eventually found in the driveway of a deserted home, battered to death, has always been a mystery I should like to see investigated again. It isn't pre 1950's as it occurred in 1953, but it is an interesting case. A shy young teenager, on her way to her first party, took a train, and disappeared.

Comment

I forgot the "Shark Island" Case of the 1930s.

Comment

Yes, and Evelyn Foster! What a mystery her death was! Was she killed by her mystery passenger or was it an accident that went terribly wrong. I really hope that is one of ColdCase's future projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
          I forgot the "Shark Island" Case of the 1930s.
          Forgive my ignorance, but I am unaware of this case! Is it possible to provide a few details?

Antony Matthew Brown
          Author Poisoning at the Priory
          Cold Case Jury is a series of books about historical but unsolved real-life crimes. Readers are asked to deliver their verdicts online about what most likely happened. Books include Move To Murder (the murder of Julia Wallace in 1931), Death of an Actress (the death of Gay Gibson on board the Durban Castle in 1947) and The Green Bicycle Mystery (the shooting of cyclist Bella Wright in 1919.
          Author of Cold Case Jury books: Move To Murder (2nd Edition) (2021), The Shark Arm Mystery (2020), Poisoned at the Priory (2020), Move to Murder (2018), Death of an Actress (2018), The Green Bicycle Mystery (2017) - "Armchair detectives will be delighted" - Publishers Weekly. Author of Crime & Mystery Hour - short fictional crime stories. And for something completely different - I'm the co-founder of Wow-Vinyl - celebrating the Golden Years of the British Single (1977-85)

Comment

Originally posted by ColdCaseJury View Post
            Forgive my ignorance, but I am unaware of this case! Is it possible to provide a few details?

Antony Matthew Brown
            Author Poisoning at the Priory
            www.coldcasejury.com
            I am sorry, but I may have messed up the name. It occurred around 1935 and a dead shark was found with the leg of a man in it's stomach. I believe they never identified the victim. I can't recall how but I believe it was shown it was a homicide, with the body conveniently disposed of by the shark.

It was in the waters of Sydney harbor.

Jeff

Comment

The Shark Arm Mystery

Comment

"Sergent" Belinda and "Chief Inspector" Jeff

Thanks for the heads-up. I've ordered a second-hand book on the case to see if it could make a Cold Case Jury story. On the surface, it is perfect. What cold case could start better than a shark coughing up an arm? The only thing I need to see is whether there is enough mystery, e.g. suspects, to make it something to put before the Cold Case Jury.

Antony
                Author of Cold Case Jury books: Move To Murder (2nd Edition) (2021), The Shark Arm Mystery (2020), Poisoned at the Priory (2020), Move to Murder (2018), Death of an Actress (2018), The Green Bicycle Mystery (2017) - "Armchair detectives will be delighted" - Publishers Weekly. Author of Crime & Mystery Hour - short fictional crime stories. And for something completely different - I'm the co-founder of Wow-Vinyl - celebrating the Golden Years of the British Single (1977-85)

Comment

Originally posted by ColdCaseJury View Post
                  "Sergent" Belinda and "Chief Inspector" Jeff

Thanks for the heads-up. I've ordered a second-hand book on the case to see if it could make a Cold Case Jury story. On the surface, it is perfect. What cold case could start better than a shark coughing up an arm? The only thing I need to see is whether there is enough mystery, e.g. suspects, to make it something to put before the Cold Case Jury.

Antony
                  Best of luck on all your future work. Can't really think of any Australian homicide cases than what I mentioned. Only other one I can think of that is of any interest is probably a myth - Harold Lasseter and his huge "reef of gold", which he may have made up but came to believe in.

Jeff

Comment

This is recent but very much debated
                    Jim and Nancy Beaumont thought nothing of it when their three children, Jane, Arnna, and Grant — the Beaumont children — took the bus from their home in Somerton Park, Australia to the beach on January 26, 1966. But, tragically, that was the last anyone saw of them. The Beaumont children have been missing for more than 50 years.

Comment

Latest Verdict

The current Cold Case Jury verdict in the Bravo Case (Poisoning at the Priory) is that 90% think it was murder (rather than suicide or misadventure), with 60% believing that Mrs Cox poisoned Charles Bravo.

This may change has more votes are polled.

Comment

Yes, I voted for Mrs Cox. She has been my suspect in this intriguing case for a long time. I've never thought of Florence as being the killer, and the fact that when the maid dashed in Florence's room to ask for help Mrs Cox was sitting there dressed and ready to go did it for me. So I'm among the majority!

Comment

Mrs. Cox has always been my #1 as well.
                          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Mrs Cox looks good for it.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                              Yes, I voted for Mrs Cox. She has been my suspect in this intriguing case for a long time. I've never thought of Florence as being the killer, and the fact that when the maid dashed in Florence's room to ask for help Mrs Cox was sitting there dressed and ready to go did it for me. So I'm among the majority!
                              The last major book on the case (by James Ruddick, 2001) pinned the blame on Florence. In fact, his verdict is virtually identical to that of John Williams, who had published his account decades before. Many articles, blogs and YouTube opinions over the last ten years tend buy into this account. So, it is great that there folks out there who see it differently, especially when all the accounts are presented side by side. That is one of my major goals with Cold Case Jury: try to present each theory strongly as it can be and then evaluate it fairly. What I find with so many books - and the Ripper is no exception - is that authors sharpen and level, i.e. highlight confirming evidence and ignore or downplay the disconfirming evidence.

Thanks for voting.

Comment

Though I doubt you'd get a conviction.
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X