No announcement yet.

Charles Bravo: Choose Your Own Verdict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, Gay Gibson and the self confessed ladies man deck steward. I'll look forward to it!

Comment

Jeff, again this is fascinating backstory. I agree this may be difficult to pull together into a plausible, coherent theory, but you could think about a connections-style article. What connects Bravo to Thackeray to x to y. Your objective, I suggest, would be connect to the ripper. As James Maybrick is a long-shot ripper suspect, and he was poisoned by his wife, also called Florence, you may have a (tenuous) connection there. But with you research skills I'm sure you could find stronger ones. Just an idea.

Antony Matthew Brown
      Author Poisoning at the Priory
      Cold Case Jury is a series of books about historical but unsolved real-life crimes. Readers are asked to deliver their verdicts online about what most likely happened. Books include Move To Murder (the murder of Julia Wallace in 1931), Death of an Actress (the death of Gay Gibson on board the Durban Castle in 1947) and The Green Bicycle Mystery (the shooting of cyclist Bella Wright in 1919.
      Last edited by ColdCaseJury; 10-09-2015, 12:12 AM. Reason: Added name block
      Author of Cold Case Jury books: Move To Murder (2nd Edition) (2021), The Shark Arm Mystery (2020), Poisoned at the Priory (2020), Move to Murder (2018), Death of an Actress (2018), The Green Bicycle Mystery (2017) - "Armchair detectives will be delighted" - Publishers Weekly. Author of Crime & Mystery Hour - short fictional crime stories. And for something completely different - I'm the co-founder of Wow-Vinyl - celebrating the Golden Years of the British Single (1977-85)

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
        Ah, Gay Gibson and the self confessed ladies man deck steward. I'll look forward to it!
        Thanks, Rosella. It is a truly interesting case. If James Camb had not admitted to being in her cabin, and there was a wider pool of suspects, I think this case would rival the ripper in interest. Sex and murder on the high seas. Rather, it is a did-he-or-did-he-not-kill-her mystery. One of the questions is: did she like male attention?

Antony Matthew Brown
        Cold Case Jury is a series of books about historical but unsolved real-life crimes. Readers are asked to deliver their verdicts online about what most likely happened. Books include Move To Murder (the murder of Julia Wallace in 1931), Death of an Actress (the death of Gay Gibson on board the Durban Castle in 1947) and The Green Bicycle Mystery (the shooting of cyclist Bella Wright in 1919.
        Author of Cold Case Jury books: Move To Murder (2nd Edition) (2021), The Shark Arm Mystery (2020), Poisoned at the Priory (2020), Move to Murder (2018), Death of an Actress (2018), The Green Bicycle Mystery (2017) - "Armchair detectives will be delighted" - Publishers Weekly. Author of Crime & Mystery Hour - short fictional crime stories. And for something completely different - I'm the co-founder of Wow-Vinyl - celebrating the Golden Years of the British Single (1977-85)

Comment

Originally posted by ColdCaseJury View Post
          Hi Graham,

Tartar emetic is a powerful emetic - just a few grains will induce nausea. The accident theory - which you can vote for on the Cold Case Jury site, BTW - was propounded by Yseult Bridges, as you know. There are problems with her theory, which I expound in my book. One of them, however, is that Charles Bravo was an expert on medical jurisprudence, and would have known the correct dose. Rather, his calling out for hot water (a weak emetic) is consistent with him thinking he had swallowed laudanum. I also cover this.

Antony Matthew Brown
          www.coldcasejury.com
          Hi AMB,

know what, I think I confused tartar emetic with hot water regarding their relative emetic actions. It's a long time since I read up on this case, but if memory serves tartar emetic had been purchased by the stable-lad for the horses. Hot water is an old treatment for upset tums and constipation, as I know only too well from when I was a very young child. I still rather subscribe to the accident theory, although as I said there was a shadow hanging over Florence regarding her first husband. Also interesting is the fact that Charles was seen by Dr William Gull, a one-time Ripper suspect (probably still is in some circles). One thing that came out of this case is that the police didn't succumb to a possible knee-jerk reaction and charge either Florence or Jane Cox (or anyone else) and worry about the consequences afterwards, so long as someone stood a chance of hanging for Bravo's murder.

I believe there is to this very day a legend that Charles Bravo's unhappy ghost still haunts The Priory..........can't say I blame him, to be honest, although by most accounts he was a rather unpleasant man.

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Graham, when you say 'a shadow hung over Florence due to her first husband' what do you mean? It can't be that she poisoned him. Florence and Alexander Ricardo had been long separated at the time of his death and he collapsed and died in a hotel room in Cologne. He'd been an alcoholic for years and suffered bad health due to it. Or is the shadow due to Florence's bad reputation?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
              Graham, when you say 'a shadow hung over Florence due to her first husband' what do you mean? It can't be that she poisoned him. Florence and Alexander Ricardo had been long separated at the time of his death and he collapsed and died in a hotel room in Cologne. He'd been an alcoholic for years and suffered bad health due to it. Or is the shadow due to Florence's bad reputation?
              Rosella, John Williams in Suddenly At The Priory, subscribed to the view that Alexander Ricardo died from antimony poisoning. This theory was given short shrift by Taylor and Clarke, as you know. There really is no evidence to back it up. I'm with you on this one.

Antony Matthew Brown
              Last edited by ColdCaseJury; 10-09-2015, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Belinda - thank you for visiting the site. I'm the author. Just finishing the second book in the Cold Case Jury series, called Death of an Actress. It does not quite have the depth of mystery as the Charles Bravo case, or indeed the ripper, but it is a great story, involving sex and death on the high seas!

Antony Matthew Brown
                www.coldcasejury.com
                I found your site very interesting What cases are you planning in future? George Harry Storrs and The Croydon Poisonings are two that are very interesting.
                BTW How did you find out that I had posted about you here?

Comment

Jeff, again this is fascinating backstory. I agree this may be difficult to pull together into a plausible, coherent theory, but you could think about a connections-style article. What connects Bravo to Thackeray to x to y. Your objective, I suggest, would be connect to the ripper. As James Maybrick is a long-shot ripper suspect, and he was poisoned by his wife, also called Florence, you may have a (tenuous) connection there. But with you research skills I'm sure you could find stronger ones. Just an idea.

Antony Matthew Brown
                  www.coldcasejury.com
                  Thanks again for the complement. It's tough to do, and sometimes a mere chance causes one to note a connection that was not noted before. That one about Bravo supporting Governor Eyre was due to a list of supporters of the Governor among the upper classes in Jamaica in a book called "The Hero as Murderer" about Eyre. When I saw it I was amazed nobody ever linked the Eyre Affair with Joseph Bravo before.

But the tenuous nature of such links is always there. One exists between the Bravo case and an earlier murder by poison but really due to stretching things. The first husband of Florence, Captain Alexander Ricardo, was the grandson of the economist David Ricardo ("the iron law of wages") and Alexander's father made his fortune (in part) by purchasing the rights of inventors Wheatstone and Cooke to their pre-Morse telegraph of 1837. This telegraph had actually proven it's worth in 1845 when used in the tracking down and capturing of John Tawell, the "Quaker"/or "Kwaker" poisoner of Sarah Hart at Salt Hill near Aylesbury. After that Mr. Ricardo decided to get his hands on such a valuable machine and system of communications.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                    I found your site very interesting What cases are you planning in future? George Harry Storrs and The Croydon Poisonings are two that are very interesting.
                    BTW How did you find out that I had posted about you here?
                    Belinda, Google Analytics informed me that there had been a referral from this site. Being curious, I visited the site and then tracked down the forum and then you!

George Henry Storrs will be a future case. Next in line will be Edmund Geoffrey, arguably Britain's oldest cold case from 1678. After that its Julia Wallace - possibly the best Agatha Christie story not written by her (you know what I mean!). I'm also intrigued by Adelaide Bartlett, Evelyn Foster, Steinie Morrison, Sir Harry Oakes, possibly Rattenbury and also Maybrick. Plus Kennedy and Lizzy Borden too.

If you have any good Aussie cold cases I would be delighted to hear of them (I really interested in pre-1950 cases).

My purpose in joining casebook is to research the ripper. There are SO many theories and suspects, I will be asking casebook posters for their hottest suspect and their best long shot in due course!

Antony Matthew Brown

Comment

If you have any good Aussie cold cases I would be delighted to hear of them (I really interested in pre-1950 cases).
                      Not to but in (But I am aren't I?)-Gatton Mystery, Taman Shud and, only slightly beyond the 1950 mark, Shirley Collins.
                      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Stan - Yseult Bridges advanced the he-was-poisoning-Florence theory in her 1956 book. There is little evidence for it, in my view. Not least, because it does not explain Mrs Cox's behaviour. You can vote for the accident theory at the Cold Case Jury site, however, if you are still convinced.

If you are right, it was a poetic justice: he planned to kill his wife but ended up killing himself!

Antony Matthew Brown
                        www.coldcasejury.com
                        Hi Antony:

Julian Fellows suggested in his A Most Mysterious Murder series that Charles was poisoning Florence but only to quell her alcohol problem, not to kill her, and that he took the poison by accident, confusing it with his epsom salt.

I have also read a theory that posits that Mrs. Cox and/or Florence were poisoning Charles, again not to kill him but to make him sick enough not to be continually getting Florence pregnant, and likewise accidentally gave a little too much on this last occasion.
                        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                          Hi Antony:

Julian Fellows suggested in his A Most Mysterious Murder series that Charles was poisoning Florence but only to quell her alcohol problem, not to kill her, and that he took the poison by accident, confusing it with his epsom salt.

I have also read a theory that posits that Mrs. Cox and/or Florence were poisoning Charles, again not to kill him but to make him sick enough not to be continually getting Florence pregnant, and likewise accidentally gave a little too much on this last occasion.
                          Both versions of this theory (Charles doing it to Florence, or Florence to Charles) one to cure alcoholism and one to end child bearing problems smacks a bit of the theory suggested by Sir Edward Marshall Hall that Crippen was using the hyoscin to make Belle fall sound asleep and allow him to have his nightly romps with Ethel, but misjudged the right amount.

Jeff

Comment

Belinda, Google Analytics informed me that there had been a referral from this site. Being curious, I visited the site and then tracked down the forum and then you!

George Henry Storrs will be a future case. Next in line will be Edmund Geoffrey, arguably Britain's oldest cold case from 1678. After that its Julia Wallace - possibly the best Agatha Christie story not written by her (you know what I mean!). I'm also intrigued by Adelaide Bartlett, Evelyn Foster, Steinie Morrison, Sir Harry Oakes, possibly Rattenbury and also Maybrick. Plus Kennedy and Lizzy Borden too.

My purpose in joining casebook is to research the ripper. There are SO many theories and suspects, I will be asking casebook posters for their hottest suspect and their best long shot in due course!

Antony Matthew Brown
                            www.coldcasejury.com
                            You have a great selection to begin with there. I suspect the mystery with Francis Rattenbury's murder is if Alma was actually behind it or not. I tend to think she wasn't. Poor Stoner - he finally got out of prison, but got back in for a subsequent event dealing with a minor.

Have you ever stopped to think that Francis Rattenbury's situation and fate is similar to his American counterpart Stamford White, with Harry Thaw and Evelyn Nesbit? Both are great architects who are killed in love triangles.

Not being Australian I can't think of any major mysteries (the Gatton case is a good suggestion from Stan), but the career of that pearly member of the government of New South Wales, Minister of Justice (???!!!) Thomas "Lemonade" Ley is worth looking at. Last time I read his "Wikipedia" entry there were at least three odd deaths and disappearances involving him that occurred before he high-tailed it to England with his mistress.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                              Hi Antony:

Stan, Julian Fellowes followed Yseult Bridges' theory almost to the letter. But as I explain in my book, it has some issues. Would Charles actually keep tartar emetic in a similar container to Epsom salts and so near to each other? Why would he then not tell anyone about the accident? He could have easy said that he was keeping tartar emetic to cure his wife of her drinking habit - no one would have been aghast. Why did he shout for hot water - a weak emetic - when he knew he had ingested a strong one - tartar emetic? And so on.

As for the second theory, why did Flo-Cox feel the need to give him a dose on the night of 18 April 1876 when Charles was already going to bed quite ill after the horse had bolted. And why get the dose so spectacularly wrong that night? Also, why wasn't Charles being sick, if they were applying him with tartar emetic? And so on.

Each of the four main theories has explanatory holes. In my judgement the most likely theory is the one that has the fewest and/or smallest. After going through the evidence, and reconstructing events according to each theory, I then ask the reader to vote.

Antony Matthew Brown

Comment

Antony Matthew Brown
                                www.coldcasejury.com
                                That's interesting. I can't think of any pre 1950 cases but this one is very interesting and still gets interest

You'll find plenty of hot Ripper suspects here!

Comment

Working...
                                X