Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of books in Whitechapel

Friends,
    I am writing a fictional account of JtR. My heroine is a well-educated woman who had fallen on hard times and, consequently, lives in Whitechapel at the critical time. I am attempting to sprinkle information about life in Whitechapel throughout the novel. I would like to have my protagonist read a novel, probably a Bronte or a Dickens. Does anyone know if the poor or Whitechapel could have afforded such a luxury? I understand there were second hand bookstores in the neighborhood but do not know the cost. Can anyone answer these questions or point me to someone who can?
    As always, I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

Originally posted by Barrister View Post
    I would like to have my protagonist read a novel, probably a Bronte or a Dickens. Does anyone know if the poor or Whitechapel could have afforded such a luxury?
    Charles Dickens was particularly concerned that the poor be able to afford books, so that much of his corpus was re-published in Cheap Editions, which appeared without illustrations, and were designed to be as affordable as possible. These would of course be even cheaper when purchased used.

https://books.google.com/books?id=AX...ickens&f=false is an online edition of "Readings from Dickens", published in 1908. As with many books from the era, the front and back are used to advertise the publisher's other wares. This can be an excellent way to learn about what books were available, and what they cost.

Charles Dickens Works-Detailed information on each of Dickens works including synopsis, characters, illustrations, maps, and publishing information.

http://www.victorianweb.org/art/illu...mas/intro.html have some information to get you started as well.
    - Ginger

Comment

Books at a second hand bookstall would only cost a penny or two. Public libraries were starting to be set up at this time. there was a public library at Bethnal Green.

Comment

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing the information.

Comment

I appreciate your taking time to provide this interesting tidbit.

Comment

Please remember that (in Britain anyway) until 1894 when circulating libraries like WH Smith refused to stock them any more, the vast majority of novels were published in three volumes (parts 1, 2 and 3.) Known as three-deckers.

Therefore, if your heroine is going to a library she could find all the copies of part one of 'Pride and Prejudice' had been taken out on loan by others. On a book stall, an old copy of say, 'Jane Eyre' could be one volume only of the three available, (depending on the book stall owner.)

Comment

Literature marketed for the working class were called 'penny dreadfuls' these were printed on cheap paper with soft covers, sensationlist stories or adaptations of famous novels. There were in serial form and purchased by the literate working class.
              Often clubs were formed to share and pay for the dreadfuls.
              Charles Dickens who popularised the magazine serial form had trouble with plagarism at the beginning of his career, as copywrite laws were so lax. Edward LLoyd who became an important publisher, started his career with penny dreadfuls and plagarised the immensly successful Pickwick Papers as the Penny Pickwick in the 1830s. He never reprinted it later. He was the publisher of Lloyds weekly news.
              The Dreadful was popular throughout the 19th century. After the education act of 1870 there was greater literacy among the working classes.
              As has been mentioned, books were available second hand. Holywell st in Holborn was known as' booksellers row' It was an Elizabethan street demolished in 1905 to make way for the Aldwych. It also had a reputation for selling 'Erotic prints and literature'
              Circulating libraries were for the middle classes, as they were too expensive for the working class, but by the end of the 19th century the free library movement was underway and many free libraries were open.
              Hope this is helpful.

Miss Marple
              Last edited by miss marple; 01-10-2015, 03:39 AM.

Comment

'Penny Dreadfuls' though cheap, did have reading audiences comprised mainly of boys and youths, who lapped up tales like 'Varney the Vampire' and 'Springheel Jack'. I don't think young women read penny Dreadfuls in great numbers.

I agree about circulating libraries, like Mudies and even WH Smith. They were utilised by middle class women (and some men.) The free library movement was only starting in the 1880's and was quite badly resourced until well-known philanthropists helped, so there wouldn't have been very many around.

Comment

Working...
                X