Ripper Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripper Dog

First time in my life, I just got a dog (last Friday), a female 2 months old, then I need some advice :

At what age must my dog be clean ?

Must I start walking her on leash right now ?

How many meals a day ?

But more importantly, when can she start ripperology ? At what age will she understand the strength of Fleming candidacy ?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by DVV View Post
    But more importantly, when can she start ripperology? At what age will she understand the strength of Fleming candidacy?
    Depends. Right from the start if you name her Toppy.

Congrats David, et bon courage. ;-)
    Best regards,
    Maria

Comment

Hi D

Congratulations!!

it depends on the dog and how well her mother trained her has a huge impact in puppies. It would not be uncommon that she wasn't house trained yet. Are you in the process of training her?

I personally would recommend walking her on a lead as early as possible and be firm from the beginning, don't fall for the 'she learn when she is older' as she will pick up so many bad habits in the mean time. Always keep her by your side or slightly behind never let her pull in front of you, start this from a young age and you will have lots of enjoyable walks.

They say about 4-5 small meals a day as a puppy is very energetic (as by now you will have probably found out!)

Hmmmm that one I am not sure - I am 33 and I still don't understand the strength of the Fleming candidancy ;0)

Tracy

Ps have you ever seen the programme The Dog Whisperer with Ceaser Milan - fantastic programme esp if this is your first dog, you may be able to get them online.
      It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Thanks Maria and Tracy.

Clara is a Braque du Danube, a breed I'm proud to have created.

Think it's too early to reveal her the Truth, so she will not hear of Fleming before next year, that's preferable. Later on, I will introduce her Joseph-George Flemtchinson.

For the time being, I have better entertain Clara with light-hearted theories and tales, such as those concocted by Anderson. Aren't Anderson's tales a good start for a puppy ? I guess Trevor's apron theory will do as well. It's sure tasty for a little dog.

But as I said, she's the first I have and I may make some mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
          First time in my life, I just got a dog (last Friday), a female 2 months old, then I need some advice :

... when can she start ripperology ?
          I'd figure as soon as she starts lickin' her own ass.
          Best Wishes,
          Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

A braque du Danube will never do that, Hunter.

Comment

Watch her and learn from her; dogs can teach us a lot.
              Do not confuse her with commands and give her plenty of praise for good conduct.
              Remember, she will be watching your evey move; cats and dogs are like that.

Comment

You're right, Heinrich, thanks.

Comment

I'd suggest feeding her 'wet' food more than dry food to start her off with and then slowly work the latter into her died.....also don't get her into bad habits like sleeping on the bed as a puppy if possible, because they'll think they have to keep doing it even when they're bigger and older. I made that mistake with my labrador, let him sleep on the bed when he was a puppy just to help him settle in - he's now 6 years old and still sleeps on the bed or couch....

Best of luck to you and enjoy.

For the record, if anyone is ever looking to add a dog to their family, the best place to start is the local dogs' home.....there's heaps of great dogs there of all breeds, ages and temperaments who'd love a new home.

Cheers,
                  Adam.

Comment

A puppy will need all it's innoculations before it can safely go out into the world. It will be about 12 weeks by that time.

A puppy needs a few small meals a day of proprietary puppy food.

I trained my two pups on newspaper, I just kept putting the newspaper closer and closer to the back door until they went out.

There is no need EVER to hit a dog, even gently. A dog will get the message from your tone of voice and body language.

I fully believe that there is no such thing as a bad dog - just bad owners.

Good luck with your puppy DVV - I'm sure you'll have many happy times together.
                    This is simply my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
                      I'd suggest feeding her 'wet' food more than dry food to start her off with and then slowly work the latter into her died.....also don't get her into bad habits like sleeping on the bed as a puppy if possible, because they'll think they have to keep doing it even when they're bigger and older. I made that mistake with my labrador, let him sleep on the bed when he was a puppy just to help him settle in - he's now 6 years old and still sleeps on the bed or couch....

Best of luck to you and enjoy.

For the record, if anyone is ever looking to add a dog to their family, the best place to start is the local dogs' home.....there's heaps of great dogs there of all breeds, ages and temperaments who'd love a new home.

Cheers,
                      Adam.
                      Hi Adam, many thanks. I confess she slept with me last night, I couldn't resist...but I know you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by louisa View Post
                        A puppy will need all it's innoculations before it can safely go out into the world. It will be about 12 weeks by that time.

A puppy needs a few small meals a day of proprietary puppy food.

I trained my two pups on newspaper, I just kept putting the newspaper closer and closer to the back door until they went out.

There is no need EVER to hit a dog, even gently. A dog will get the message from your tone of voice and body language.

I fully believe that there is no such thing as a bad dog - just bad owners.

Good luck with your puppy DVV - I'm sure you'll have many happy times together.
                        Hello Louisa, I completely agree there is no need to hit a dog. Clara is listening to me, she tries her best and she's too cute. Many thanks.

Comment

I made the same mistake, now we share the bed with a husky (that is over 6ft in length stretched out) and a shih-tsu/ Labrador, makes for a very full bed lol, I have to say I dont' mind it, get lots of cuddles, but if you feel like you would get stressed then I would put a stop to it now.

Tracy
                          It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Hi Tracy, I don't mind either, but my wife does, aaarfff.

Comment

When Puck my cat was little he always wanting to sleep with me, but I was worried I was going to turn around and squash him in my sleep! So I made him a little bed at the foot of my bed, in front of my face.

Once during a surf trip I was a bit ill with food poisoning, and there was a stray cat who came in and slept in my bed, and when I went to the bathroom for a while he got pissed and went away, and then I went to sleep again and when I woke up a little later, he was in my bed again. During the night there was another stray cat howling under my window, like if she was calling for him, but the cat chose to stay with me. Weirdo cat. He was real goodlooking though, orange coloured with stripes.
                              Best regards,
                              Maria

Comment

Working...
                              X