Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'All roads lead to Dorset street'

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering could someone elaborate on the title of this tread. I believe it stems from Stephen Knight's work on the case from the 1970's, tho it seems to crop up in many books on the Ripper that solely relay the historical facts, as oppose to forwarding a theory a la Mr. Knight.

With Love,

B. Bulger

It was the chapter name in Knight's book. Have a look at this thread Billy, http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?p=94437
    Regards Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike, thats a big help.

Much Appreciated.

B

Comment

Billy,

Here's the map as printed in Stephen Knight's book. Personally, I don't hold much store in the idea. I'm working on something now and will post another version soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AllRoads.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	657564

Comment

With a few corrections and the inclusion of the prominent non-canonicals, it looks more like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AllRoads 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	657565

Make of it what you will.

Comment

Note how the "Whitechap" is between the lines, therefore I conclude the killer was a white gentleman. The book and movie will be out next year.
            Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
              Note how the "Whitechap" is between the lines, therefore I conclude the killer was a white gentleman.
              For those who are anti-geographic profiling, it's worth noting that, if you subtract "Whitechap" from "Whitechapel", you're left with "El". I conclude from this that Jack was a Spaniard. Perhaps Edward Larkins was on the right track after all...
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Billy,

I believe that somewhere we may yet find some evidence that all 5 Canonicals had some link to Dorset Street before the murders began. Maybe in previous lodgings...we know that much of some....maybe frequenting the pubs at the street corners, maybe friends on Dorset drew other Canonicals to that street, maybe they had ties to the street that went back months or years. Whose to say that Jack didnt "window shop" during daylight and evening hours?

Dorset doesnt have to be the pivotal point for anything but possibly a view of a future victim.

Cheers BB

Comment

I'm waiting for someone to make a pentagram out of it!

Normy

Comment

Jack's location

Hello. I think many of us are overlooking the obvious message of this map which is to give a hint about Jack's location.

What word is located near the center of the map? Whitechapel. Now, if we take the adjectival part in isolation, what do we have? White. What colour is the complement of white? Black.

Next, when did the killings take place? Late Victorian Period. Who was the greatest novelist of this period? Thomas Hardy. Where was he born? Egdon Heath.

Finally, when Hardy was a young man and attended chapel, where was the chapel located? On the heath.

Put it all together and what do you have? Blackheath.

Hmmm!

LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                      Next, when did the killings take place? Late Victorian Period. Who was the greatest novelist of this period? Thomas Hardy. Where was he born? Egdon Heath.
                      Brockampton, actually. Egdon Heath was a fictional creation of Hardy, probably based on the heath at Studland.
                      What word is located near the center of the map? Whitechapel. Now, if we take the adjectival part in isolation, what do we have? White. What colour is the complement of white? Black. Put it all together and what do you have?
                      I make it "black stud". We have a choice of millions
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hardy

Hello. The fictional Egdon Heath was in his novel, "The Return of the Native." For a while, it was listed in Wiki as his birthplace. Serves me right for using a suspect source.

Thanks!

LC

Comment

Working...
                        X