• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edgar Allan Poe Fans Plan One Last Vigil for the Mysterious "Poe Toaster"

c.d.

Hi c.d. et al.

Thanks for posting this link, c.d.

To quote from the article,

"Poe House and Museum Curator Jeff Jerome, who has kept watch for the 'Poe Toaster' since 1978, believes that it's Poe's suffering and his lifelong dream to be a poet that people still relate to."

This is badly expressed. I have met Mr. Jerome so I doubt he said it exactly what it implies he said. He would know that Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849) was an established poet and a leading one during his own lifetime.

Poe's poem "The Raven", written and published in Philadelphia in 1845, four years before he died in Baltimore, was a huge hit for him. Poe had no need to dream of being a poet. By the time of his demise, he was one of the most popular published American poets of his day. His lectures on "The Poetic Principle" packed halls up and down the East Coast. Incidentally, of course, the Baltimore Ravens football team derive their name and the image on their logo from the title of Poe's hit poem. The team has three mascots, named Edgar, Allan, and Poe.

Best regards

Chris

Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 01-19-2012, 09:04 PM.
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
      Hi c.d. et al.

Thanks for posting this link, c.d.

To quote from the article,

"Poe House and Museum Curator Jeff Jerome, who has kept watch for the 'Poe Toaster' since 1978, believes that it's Poe's suffering and his lifelong dream to be a poet that people still relate to."

This is badly expressed. I have met Mr. Jerome so I doubt he said it exactly what it implies he said. He would know that Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849) was an established poet and a leading one during his own lifetime.

Poe's poem "The Raven", written and published in Philadelphia in 1845, four years before he died in Baltimore, was a huge hit for him. Poe had no need to dream of being a poet. By the time of his demise, he was one of the most popular published American poets of his day. His lectures on "The Poetic Principle" packed halls up and down the East Coast. Incidentally, of course, the Baltimore Ravens football team derive their name and the image on their logo from the title of Poe's hit poem. The team has three mascots, named Edgar, Allan, and Poe.

Best regards

Chris

GO RAVENS!!!!!!! and Poe Toaster (hopefully)

Comment

How nice ! thanks CD.

Comment

Apparently the toaster failed to appear last night and sadly the vigil tradition has now ended. It is believed that the tradition went all the way back to the 1940s and some people claim as far back as the 1930s. Therefore, a reasonable assumption is that the toaster has passed on. Too bad.

c.d.

P.S. Abby and Chris, I am a Steelers fan which means that we are now mortal enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
            Therefore, a reasonable assumption is that the toaster has passed on. Too bad.
            Are you out of your mind ?
            The Toaster has been sent to Broadmoor, hands tied.

Comment

It would be a shame if the Toaster and his helpers are gone. I always thought that to be a very nice tradition. If you happen to visit Baltimore, the Poe House and Museum are well worth seeing and the old Westminster Church is only a short walk away. You can't miss the main Poe tombstone because it's big and on your right and you enter the grounds; however, I would have overlooked his original grave site if a helpful local resident hadn't directed me to it. It's around at the back of the old church.

Comment

wouldn't they feel silly if the Poe toaster tradition has ended because they refused to respect his anonymity.
                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  Apparently the toaster failed to appear last night and sadly the vigil tradition has now ended. It is believed that the tradition went all the way back to the 1940s and some people claim as far back as the 1930s. Therefore, a reasonable assumption is that the toaster has passed on. Too bad.

c.d.

P.S. Abby and Chris, I am a Steelers fan which means that we are now mortal enemies.
                  Oh dear, c.d., does this mean I have to delete you from my list of Facebook friends?
                  Christopher T. George
                  Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                  just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                  For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                  RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

The toaster is still alive but his cask of amontillado is empty.

Comment

Working...
                    X