The Freedom Of Information Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Freedom Of Information Act

For all you authors and researchers out there the FOI can be a blessing. However as I have learned it can be a bit tricky. Last year I made a request to South Wales Police for access to certain files.

The request was turned down on the grounds that the Police do not release official files. I was about to accept this when I thought “Sod this; Dyfed Powys let me have a free run, why shouldn’t South Wales”.

So I wrote back a very nice letter thanking them for their time and trouble and mentioning how disappointed I was to be turned down. I mentioned the co-operation I had received from Dyfed Powys. A few days later I got an email saying ok then but we haven’t got all that much.

It arrived yesterday by disc. The amount of material is staggering, police files and reports, witness statements, autopsy reports, press cuttings, files from different police forces, you name it it was there in all its PDF glory. It’s going to take me weeks and several cartridges to print this lot out. It was accompanied by a very pleasant letter apologising for the time it took!

The point is when making a FOI request I have the distinct feeling that all requests trigger a standard “Sorry you can’t have it letter”. However it may well be that further requests, if done in the nicest possible way, may bear fruit. Good Hunting!

Well done Bob

I've always thought that a lot of organisations do that type of thing. They refuse and it puts off the not very serious, then when you ask again (nicely of course) they give you what you want... that's if they have to.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that Bob.

Not only is it smart advice but it's nice to hear something positive.

Have fun with your haul.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Hi Bob.

It's probably just a simple way to weed out the idly curious. They figure if you really want/need to know, you'll follow up on their initial form letter.
        “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Getting stuck in.

I'm about a third of the way through printing out the material. I have three large binders each about 1/2" thick. Some of the statements are amazing and giving me details that have never before been revealed.

Here's a tip: Get yourself a really good comb binder. Mine is a Fellowes 2300, cost me £80 on Ebay but worth every penny.

Comment

That God they didn't have much information!

Only another 345 pages to go! Just thought I’d take a break here to let you know what sort of things you can expect when trawling old police files.

One thing that crops up time and time again is where the police need a copy of a marriage or death certificate. They write to the force involved and the reply includes the message “the cost of the certificate will be 3/7 and would appreciate the same amount by return”. The following letter usually reads “Thank you for the certificate a postal order for 3/7 is enclosed”. The minutiae of police work. Not like the TV is it? I mean can you see The Sweeney operating like this?

Insp Jack Regan: “Here you slag get yourself off to the post office and get me a postal order for 3/7”

George Carter: “But Boss it’s pension day there’ll be hell of a queue”

Insp Regan: “Bollocks. Flash your warrant card and if that doesn’t work give them a slap”

Comment

Hello Bob,

Can you imagine George Carter's response at the queue with the old women with lead-laden handbags, protecting their place in the queue for dear life? Umbrellas at the ready?

Now that is sit com.

best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
              X