Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off Topic Arguing (Moved from Hutchinson thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben View Post
    I can, Mike, and with the upmost sincerety at that, considering that Hutchinson's identity wouldn't remotely ennervate anything else I've suggested with regard to Hutchinson, with the possible exception that he may have been Fleming, but that is by no means a pet theory of min. Just one reasonable explanation.
    I leave others to judge Ben's command of English - and honesty.

I'm done here.

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

It's so stupid of you to tell such silly lies in public, where they are so quickly and easily exposed.
      You're the liar, Caz, and an particularly repellent one at that.

We all had a wonderful time guffawing at your embarrassing and failed attempts to play headmistress four months ago. It's been the laughing joke as far as you're concerned ever since you targetted one or two individuals on the Maybrick threads for repeated scorn. Since about 2005, your basic Modus Operandi has consisted of advancing a weak and easily refutable argument and then attacking the English of your perceived opponents the moment your intellectual emptiness is exposed. The trouble is, even this favoured second phase of your attack gets burped back in your face, prompting you to smoulder for months, before finally deciding to reignite a long dormand thread.

I was the one who told you that "upmost" cannot be used as a substitute for "utmost"
      You didn't need to tell me. I was fully aware of the distinction. Anyone bored enough to care was aware that I knew of this distinction. I never intended to write "utmost" or any synonym thereof. The word I intended to use was "upmost", and it's a woeful testament to your insecurity and failings as a debater that you should target one word for illogical scrutiny rather than actually addressing the content of the post.

Why did you decide to start this argument today?

What was your motivation?

What could possibly have compelled you to continue an argument that has nothing to do with Jack the Ripper, particularly when you know full well were onto a losing wicket when you first engaged in this astonishing display of pettiness?

which I only did because you routinely boasted a wonderful command of the English language while failing to demonstrate it in your posts
      No, I haven't. I've speculated that I have superior abilities to you in that regard, and I've only found occasion to make this public on account of your painful and unwinnable attempts to nitpick the vocabulary of others. So I'm afraid you're not just a "miserable pedantic so-and-so" - you're just wrong, and this laughable wrongness only serves to enhance your less than admirable qualities.

Why else would I have sought out and posted that link for you which proves otherwise?
      Why else would you decide to re-launch an argument that had been dormant for four months, and concerned the ever-so-petty issue of the correct application of the word "utmost"? Now you're quoting a post that I wrote on 29th of March of last year. I'm grateful, in light of the above, that you did and I say so with the upmost* sincerity.

*Meaning uppermost, i.e. hightest.

I think that's today's nonsense dispensed with.
      Last edited by Ben; 03-26-2010, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Oh and here's that link again:

Don't confuse 'utmost' with 'upmost.' They don't fit into the same sentences.

Ben either didn't read it properly or didn't understand how it relates back to this:

'with the upmost sincerety' [sic]

Love,

Caz
        X
        Last edited by caz; 03-26-2010, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Glad you're taking steps to educate yourself.

It's a good article. Read and internalise.

"Uppermost" is more concerned with priority, of course, than "utmost". Given that Caz was one of the participants in that long-dead discussion, it shouldn't be difficult to understand why I might have felt inclined to offer more of my "sincerety" to the other participants! The only error I made was a misspelling of the word sincerity, and again, it would require the type of zealous pettiness displayed in the above post to construe this as being reflective of genuine ignorance as opposed to a typo written in haste.
          Last edited by Ben; 03-26-2010, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I caught Ben, who claims to be God's gift to the written word, on that other thread, thinking he could lie and cheat his way out of one of his silly schoolboy howlers, describing it as my 'outrageous gaffe'.

But here he is, confronted with the offending sentence in his post, proving it was his mistake, and he claims it wasn't a gaffe at all.

Wonderful stuff. You couldn't make it up.

Oh wait. That's exactly what Ben is doing.

Ben, I urge you to read that link through again, if you genuinely can't see that 'with the upmost sincerity' is simply wrong. It makes no sense and the word you require here is 'utmost'.

That was my original point: you didn't appear to know there was a difference between the two, or what that difference was, which is fine. None of us is Mr or Mrs Perfect. I would have ignored it, just like I ignore 99% of such errors, if only it hadn't been accompanied by your unfortunate "I occupy the uppermost branches of the English tree and you are way beneath me" attitude. As you can see, I have the utmost contempt for boasters who have nothing to boast about.

Now an apology from you is way overdue and would be very refreshing, and I'd be happy to leave it there and never refer to this again.

Love,

Caz
            X

Comment

I'm grateful, in light of the above, that you did and I say so with the upmost* sincerity.

*Meaning uppermost, i.e. hightest.
              Ooh delicious - only just noticed that you edited your post to add the above, demonstrating how you fell right into the very trap that link warned you about, and showed you how to avoid.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that the following looks fine to you?

"I say so with the uppermost sincerity."

When you mean "with the highest degree of sincerity" you require "utmost". Read the link, Ben.

Love,

Caz
              X
              Last edited by caz; 03-29-2010, 12:15 PM.

Comment

I'm done here.
                Gosh, now where have I heard this tired old lie before?

This seems to be one of the very worst symptoms of Ben-fixation: first, the offending Ben-botherer starts a long dormant argument out of pure malice and boredom, which gets instantly destroyed. The Ben-botherer is then left with egg on his or her exceedingly unprepossessing face and makes a dramatic swan-song like departure a long the lines that "Everyone knows I'm right, and Ben's horrible, so I'm leaving the thread!"

But what happens?

Back they come for another futile bash which also gets destroyed.

It's fun and predictable.

I caught Ben, who claims to be God's gift to the written word, on that other thread, thinking he could lie and cheat his way out of one of his silly schoolboy howlers
                Ah, yes, here comes the belligerent terminology again. "I caught Ben" as though you're to be congratulated for the laudable behavioural trait of picking apart the vocabulary of a fellow poster with scornful criticisms that turn out to be wrong anyway. The "outrageous gaffe" on your part was chiefly your failure to appreciate that "upmost" was an abbreviation of "uppermost" which has a different meaning of its own. "Upmost" is concerned with priority. See, here:

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

Look at the example they've used:

"a subject of uppermost concern"

The implication here is obvious: while there may be other subjects of some concern, this particular subject ranks higher than them on the concern front. I used "upmost" to convey precisely the same impression - that while I might dish out some half-arsed sincerity for simpering, time-wasting, fight-picking nuisances such as yourself, I reserved my "uppermost" sincerity for Mike, I believe, who made a legitimate and reasoned observation on that occasion.

If this is all still so unfathomable to you, read the article again, but for your own sake, don't embarrass yourself by re-launching a four-month-old debate on such a ludicrously petty subject as this with the same desperate and clueless nonsense that you shamelessly espoused last time you were imprudent enough to pick a fight with me.

Again, I've never boasted about being "God's gift to the written word". I've said I'm better than you, which I'm sorry to say isn't all that difficult.

Now an apology from you is way overdue and would be very refreshing, and I'd be happy to leave it there and never refer to this again.
                Why would I want that? I absolutely delight in seeing off the latest attempt to goad me unprovoked, especially if they lead to the sort of back and forth stamina wars that characterize almost all unsuccessful attacks from my shadows.
                Last edited by Ben; 03-29-2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Look at the example they've used:

"a subject of uppermost concern"

The implication here is obvious: while there may be other subjects of some concern, this particular subject ranks higher than them on the concern front. I used "upmost" to convey precisely the same impression - that while I might dish out some half-arsed sincerity for simpering, time-wasting, fight-picking nuisances such as yourself, I reserved my "uppermost" sincerity for Mike, I believe, who made a legitimate and reasoned observation on that occasion.
                  Ho ho ho ho ho ho ho

Hi Ben,

Again, you provide me with a good laugh if nothing much else. Anyone would have thought you were human, and that you would measure sincerity as all other humans on earth have ever measured it - by degree.

But no, Mr Upmost is not like the rest of us. In fact he is the only one in step. If the language is not to his liking he can simply change it until it fits with his unique ability to possess 'sincerities' in the plural and to pull 'em out individually to suit the occasion.

How many sincerities have you got then, Ben? I mean, it would be nice to have a clue. I now know there's an uppermost one and a half-arsed one, but I imagine you have at least three in your personal collection or your original sentence might have been: 'with my upper sincerity' to distinguish it from your lower, half-arsed one. Of course, we lesser mortals only have to deal with sincerity in the singular, so for us it's merely a case of how much of it, not how many or which one. So you have my deepest sympathy. It must be pretty grim having to explain why this was a deliberate choice and right for you, while it would have been incorrect for everyone else on the planet.

Oh and one other thing. You can boast and lie and cheat your way round the boards and show your ignorance for all I care, when you're only making yourself look bad. But whenever you put others down in the process, you can't expect to get an easy ride. When I catch you putting me down, while talking yourself up, I will defend myself, however 'petty' you think that makes me. And the passage of time does not lessen the offence or my right to object. So if I see any more of your 'better than you' crap, as I catch up with other posts from last year, I'll show you all over again how petty I can be about it.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  Last edited by caz; 03-30-2010, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X