• Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're onto something here.How soon do you think we can get the book out

We'll make a fortune

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
      What's the Bar-be-que?
      I may have spelled it different than you're used to. Without the hyphons- barbeque. Whole hog is better than shoulder and you've got to cook it slow over hickory coals all day long.

"Let's give old Tennessee credit for music" : Carl Perkins.
      Carl is, or should I say was, from my home town, Jackson. Quite a guy.

Speaking of music, Jacksonians like to say we are halfway between Hank Williams and Elvis Presley ( Nashville and Memphis)
      Best Wishes,
      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
        I may have spelled it different than you're used to. Without the hyphons- barbeque. Whole hog is better than shoulder and you've got to cook it slow over hickory coals all day long.

Ha I'm Australian we invented BBQs I think Next time call iot a Barbie that's what most do here and really string out the a Baaaaarbie

Comment

Carl Perkins

Carl is, or should I say was, from my home town, Jackson. Quite a guy.

Speaking of music, Jacksonians like to say we are halfway between Hank Williams and Elvis Presley ( Nashville and Memphis)
          Yes indeed. Is that the same Jackson that Johnny and June Carter Cash were on about? I forgot to mention that I also met Carl and Johhny's drummer, W.S. "Fluke" Holland who was the celebrity guest at the Sun tour. He was a really nice guy. You are so lucky to have all that great stuff on your doorstep. Wasn't Carl from Tiptonville or something and surely HW was from Alabama? By the way, how cool is Lefty Frizzell?

Dear Belinda,

I agree. If you can get us a publisher, let's do it! I would also be quite willing to be a judge in a barbecue contest between you and Hunter. Mmm. By the way, what's your prediction for the Ashes?

Comment

Johnny and June were probably singing about Jackson, Mississippi, but we took the song away from them anyway. LOL.

I believe your right about Carl being born in Tiptonville. He moved to Jackson into the 'Projects" ( that would be similar to model dwellings) when he was young. I'm not certain where W.S. was from.

Yes, I like Hank and Lefty. I have a lap steel and enjoy playing those old songs. Hell, everybody here plays some kind of instrument- even if its just a jug. The music, both country and rock and roll was alot more "pure" back in the fifties. Of course they both sprang from the same place. Hank's "Move it on over" cica- 1947 has been dubbed possibly the first rock and rock song- at least by a white artist. Bill Haley copied the tune verbatim in his "Rock around the clock".

Belinda, I believe barbeque started from poor southerners having to cook cheaper meats over long periods of time to make them tender. Of course, the Aussies have their own way of doing it too ( they barbeque almost everything)
            Best Wishes,
            Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Johnny and June were probably singing about Jackson, Mississippi, but we took the song away from them anyway. LOL.

I believe your right about Carl being born in Tiptonville. He moved to Jackson into the 'Projects" ( that would be similar to model dwellings) when he was young. I'm not certain where W.S. was from.

Yes, I like Hank and Lefty. I have a lap steel and enjoy playing those old songs. Hell, everybody here plays some kind of instrument- even if its just a jug. The music, both country and rock and roll was alot more "pure" back in the fifties. Of course they both sprang from the same place. Hank's "Move it on over" cica- 1947 has been dubbed possibly the first rock and rock song- at least by a white artist. Bill Haley copied the tune verbatim in his "Rock around the clock".

Belinda, I believe barbeque started from poor southerners having to cook cheaper meats over long periods of time to make them tender. Of course, the Aussies have their own way of doing it too ( they barbeque almost everything)
              Hunter,

You are right about "Move it on Over" being identical to "Rock Around The Clock". Tell me more about your lap steel. How many strings does it have?

Comment

I am seeing a Miss Marple link too. Mary Kelly fled Whitechappel and ended up in St Mary Mead where she changed her name to Jane Marple and began sleuthing in order to find out the identity of the Ripper.
                In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Yes, I like Hank and Lefty. I have a lap steel and enjoy playing those old songs. Hell, everybody here plays some kind of instrument- even if its just a jug. The music, both country and rock and roll was alot more "pure" back in the fifties. Of course they both sprang from the same place. Hank's "Move it on over" cica- 1947 has been dubbed possibly the first rock and rock song- at least by a white artist. Bill Haley copied the tune verbatim in his "Rock around the Clock".
                  Hello Hunter,

The stories and the facts about this song are most interesting, because Bill Haley did not copy the tune "verbatim".. the originally recorded version of "Rock around the Clock" is done by Sonny Dae and His Knights.

Jimmy Myers (psudomym..Jimmy DeKnight) and Max C Freedman offered the song to Bill Haley, and after 2 attempts at recording, which were deemed as not good enough by Freedman and Myers, they then offered it to Sonny Dae & His Knights, a group led by Italian-American Paschal Vennitti. This group's recording, on Arcade Records (owned by Haley's manager, Jack Howard), was a regional success only, although it sounded very different from what Haley would later record.
                  The original arrangement of the song bares little or no resemblance to the version recorded by Bill Haley, and was in fact closer to an instrumental called "The Syncopated Clock" written by Leroy Anderson.

Thanks to some research by Jim Dawson, the song was found to be originally written and recorded in 1952, though it had been previously thought to be a 1953 model. There were other songs of the same name around, for example there is one by Hal Singer and Wally Mercer, but all of these are unrelated to the Myers/Freedman song. It is sometimes (wrongly) stated that "Rock Around the Clock" is a copied version of a late 1940's Big Joe Turner recording, "Around the Clock Blues".

That said, the verse melody of "Rock Around The Clock" does bear a close similarity to that of Hank Williams' first hit, "Move It On Over", from 1947. Williams' song is, in turn, very similar to Charley Patton's "Going To Move To Alabama", recorded in 1930 - which itself originates partly from Jim Jackson's "Kansas City Blues" from 1927. The song itself has phrases almost directly used in Count Basie's "Red Wagon", from 1939.

Finally, the most interesting link with this song is the guitar used...Danny Cedrone's guitar solo was one that he used before on Bill Haley And The Saddlemen's version of "Rock the Joint" in 1952.

Quite a history that little tune has, I must say.

best wishes

Phil
                  Last edited by Phil Carter; 03-29-2010, 01:14 AM.
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                  Accountability? ....

Comment

Thanks for that info, Phil... I may add a little more that dovetails nicely.

Hank's first guitar lessons were from a black street singer named Tee Tot; a take off on the term teetotaler, which Tee Tot was not. Hank probably heard Tee Tot play " Going to move to Alabama" as it was popular with blues musicans at that time.

Bill Haley met Hank in the early fifties and even tried to imitate him in his early career. His changing the tune of "Rock around the clock" was likely that Williams influence.

Stephen, my lap steel is an old six string Oahu. Lap and console steels were used in country music until the pedal steel came out in 1953. I play a non pedal because I'm currently studying Don Helms' style ( Hank's steel player). Don played a Gibson Console Grande. Dons High E-sixth tuning worked perfectly with Hank's bluesy songs and as he put it- the higher tuning drowned out the noise in the Honky Tonks. The steel ( the bar that you fret with) made a good weapon too and Don said he needed it on a few occasions in those places where you "sweep up the eyeballs" every morning.
                    Best Wishes,
                    Hunter

Comment

Hunter,

Nice dovetail indeed! ..another mystery cleared up...who needs Poirot eh?

best wishes

Phoil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
                        I am seeing a Miss Marple link too. Mary Kelly fled Whitechappel and ended up in St Mary Mead where she changed her name to Jane Marple and began sleuthing in order to find out the identity of the Ripper.
                        Yes Absolutely! We have it Truly publishers should be knocking down our doors

Of course we could always self publish that way we get all the money

Phil, Hastings would be lost without Poirot

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post

Phil, Hastings would be lost without Poirot
                          Hello Belinda,

Ahh, mon cher Hastings, n'est pas?

Probably would have been better drinking sirop de cassis or Tisane..

best wishes

Phil
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Poirot's deduction. Hutchinson saw the Invisible Man.

Comment

Hunter,

Thanks for the info. Would an E6 tuning be like open E but with the 2nd hiked up to C#?

Belinda / Kat,

So could Kelly / Marple have committed the Miller's Court murder to aid her disappearance and subsequent change of identity?

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Working...
                              X