JTR on CBS Sunday Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTR on CBS Sunday Morning

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it but did anyone else see the JtR story on CBS Sunday Morning? Would love to hear some comments on this.
    Here is the link on youtube.

Grace and peace,

Tim

Originally posted by twnorman View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned it but did anyone else see the JtR story on CBS Sunday Morning? Would love to hear some comments on this.
    Here is the link on youtube.

Grace and peace,

Tim
    Yes I saw it and I mention it in the upcoming editorial in Ripperologist 146, shortly to be published. I thought it was a decent presentation of the "hunt for Jack" showing shots of a Ripper tour of Whitechapel & Spitalfields and mentioning authors Patricia Cornwell and Russell Edwards and their theories as to whom the Ripper was. Given the fascination of public and media alike with CSI and use of DNA analyses, the focus on both those authors might be understandable, in that in their separate investigations they have both used DNA to try to identify the killer. However, learning that "Jack" would feature on "Sunday Morning" I figured beforehand the presenter would zero in on Bruce Robinson's controversial new book on the case, They All Love Jack: Busting the Ripper, in which Robinson fingers period celebrity singer and composer Michael Maybrick (1841-1913). But no. So -- rather than the focus on DNA investigations seeming fresh and exciting, to me in a way the segment seemed a bit "old hat" and yesterday's news, if you will!

Best regards

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 10-28-2015, 08:29 AM.
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

I saw it online yesterday. I didn't really care for it. I find the CBS Sunday Morning series to be off putting in tone and silly most of the time, so I admit I'm biased against it. The brief bits of the tour were interesting, I've never been on one. The rest not so much. I also expected Robinson to appear but his style might be a bit too hyper for such a sedate program (more likely he has an exclusive interview deal with NBC or ABC).
      Felt like old report they'd dug out to fill time.
      I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

I seem to remember the shawl and Russell's theory was talked about in one of the Rippercast episodes. If I remember properly there are problems surrounding that shawl. I guess I need to go back and find that episode and relisten.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
          I saw it online yesterday. I didn't really care for it. I find the CBS Sunday Morning series to be off putting in tone and silly most of the time, so I admit I'm biased against it. The brief bits of the tour were interesting, I've never been on one. The rest not so much. I also expected Robinson to appear but his style might be a bit too hyper for such a sedate program (more likely he has an exclusive interview deal with NBC or ABC).
          Felt like old report they'd dug out to fill time.
          I am a fan of CBS Sunday Morning but perhaps because I was aware of what they were talking about, I didn't think the piece was as good as it could have been -- it was directed at members of the general public who might not know so much about the topic. I felt they wanted a segment that would be appropriate for Halloween.

All the best

Chris
          Christopher T. George

Comment

Your disappointment in the coverage is not surprising. I have noticed over the years that shows like that and the Today Show often tease you with a story that should be fascinating but when they actually get to it, it leaves you feeling cheated. The only thing I can see that comes out of things like this is that it least it reminds people of a fact of history that should not be forgotten.

Comment

For those who can't watch the youtube video

In Canada, you can watch it from the cbs website.

A host of sleuths are investigating the very real terror that gripped London 127 years ago, when the murderous Jack the Ripper terrorized residents and mesmerized news readers across the globe. Lee Cowan joined them on the hunt for the Ripper's true identity.
              Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
              - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

I wish Today would do a Segment on Jack as I never watch CBS, especially on Sunday Morning.

Comment

Originally posted by twnorman View Post
                  Your disappointment in the coverage is not surprising. I have noticed over the years that shows like that and the Today Show often tease you with a story that should be fascinating but when they actually get to it, it leaves you feeling cheated. The only thing I can see that comes out of things like this is that it least it reminds people of a fact of history that should not be forgotten.
                  Hi twnorman

I like the production values of "CBS Sunday Morning," and it was actually a segment of "60 Minutes" with the late Ed Bradley about the Maybrick Diary back in 1993 that clued me into the Maybrick Diary and got me interested in the case "full time." I am from Liverpool and lived just up the road, on Aigburth Hall Avenue, from Riversdale Road where the Maybricks lived. Of course the news content of "60 Minutes" is a cut above "CBS Sunday Morning," which tends more toward fluff or soft content.

Nonetheless, as a general observation about what is featured on television, quite often the promo for the segment about a subject that keeps airing has more or less the same content than the trumpeted segment on the topic when it finally appears. You would think television producers would wise up to the fact that they are not delivering what they are promising the public.

Best regards

Chris
                  Christopher T. George

Comment

Working...
                  X