BBC Genome Radio Times listings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC Genome Radio Times listings

I've been meaning to make a post about this for some time. Some of you might find it interesting.

The BBC have a page called Genome. It went up about 6 months back.

It's, well, I'll just quote by plucking and pasting:

"This site contains the BBC listings information which the BBC printed in Radio Times between 1923 and 2009. You can search the site for BBC programmes, people, dates and Radio Times editions.

We hope it helps you find that long forgotten BBC programme, research a particular person or browse your own involvement with the BBC.

Through the listings, you will also be able to find thousands of radio and TV programmes that are already available to view or listen to on the BBC website.

This is a historical record of both the planned output and the BBC services of any given time. It should be viewed in this context and with the understanding that it reflects the attitudes and standards of its time - not those of today."

I've already done a search of "Jack the Ripper". I get 69 results.
    http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/...00%3A00#search
    These are not clues, Fred.
    It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
    They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
    And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
    We will not.

Hi.
    I read this with baited breath, would I finally pinpoint my elusive radio broadcast of approx 1973-75, on a radio programme, that included an interview with the [ alleged] son of George Hutchinson.
    But having noted all to date, nothing is in the remote bit similar. unless I was living in a world outside the rest of us during those years,[ Don't answer] I sat and listened to a broadcast, which was advertised in the Radio Times, hence should be recorded in the annuals .?
    Regards Richard.

Comment

Your program was the main reason for posting it actually.
      I was really hoping to find it.
      And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
      We will not.

Comment

Hi Ozzy..
        Unless it was deleted from all records, it has to be on a list..it lasted approx 40 minutes started at 8pm. and was aired on a weekday.unfortunately because I was unaware that precise recollections were going to be needed in the twenty first Century, I did not note..
        Many thanks for your efforts.
        Regards Richard.

Comment

Richard are you sure it wasn't The Other Victorians, Radio Four 1972?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            Richard are you sure it wasn't The Other Victorians, Radio Four 1972?
            A few years ago I found some episodes of the series online. I lost them after a hard drive death and no back-up. I didn't have the Ripper episode.
            They were dramatisations with actors. Richard's program sounds more like a documentary type program.
            Details of Ripper episode:
            http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/37721b6d1...392fa8b9fdc30f
            We will not.

Comment

Yes, you would have expected Mr Hutchinson to be credited as a contributor. But the programme did start on a weekday, at 8PM, and lasted approx. 40 mins (45 to be precise - I've looked it up in the Times listings). Maybe just a chance.

Comment

Hi Guys..
                The programme which featured my recollections, was advertised in the Radio times, with a taster included ''The man that saw Jack''..it was definitely advertised, otherwise I would have been clueless to its airing date.
                The programme included the statement of George Hutchinson, and how it was perceived at the time, and then at the end a interview with the alleged son of the witness, I remember the tale of payment, the up the social ladder appearance, and to end the words.''It was my fathers lasting regret, that despite his efforts with the police, nothing came of it''.. that is as near as I can quote..
                Regards Richard.

Comment

I knew all about the five pound payment, the honest character that Hutchinson was quoted to have been, even the exact sum ..
                  This was known by me years before I read 'The Ripper and the Royal's,' how come I knew , if nobody else was aware in the Ripper media, I obviously heard it from somewhere?.
                  Richard.

Comment

Hi Richard

Well, the Genome is a search site. If you want to find a Radio Times advertisement or article on the programme, the only thing to do is search through original copies of the RT, wherever they are archived.

Comment

Hi Robert,
                      Did a search at the Brighton university, with my wife , and eldest daughter , about six years ago, looking at every Radio Times publication, from 1971-75..to no avail,
                      But that was because we were looking at articles at the front of each magazine up to the listings of programmes, not at the rear I never considered was relevant, but on deep reflection shortly after we returned home, it dawned on me that the rear pages had articles also, and this I remembered was featured there..
                      Instead of trudging back again to that hot reference Library, I shelved the idea..need motivating again.
                      Regards Richard.

Comment

Richard I have phoned the Radio Times and they were very helpful, sending me a scan of an article about the forthcoming series. Unfortunately the article only mentions JTR in passing, being devoted to the Harriet Staunton case.

Comment

I'm wondering if it was a regional program.
                          There are some FAQs that touch on the subject that are worth reading.
                          http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/faqs#regional
                          We will not.

Comment

Searching for Reg/Reginald Hutchinson, Topping Hutchinson and even George Hutchinson doesn't bring up anything useful. But then, the series called Jack the Ripper, with Barlow and Watt, is missing from the results for "Jack the Ripper"!

Comment

No it's not!

Looks like my eyes are playing me up.

Comment

Working...
                              X