Godley and Helson info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godley and Helson info

I’m focusing on the Nichols’ case and would greatly appreciate any information – personal or career-related – which could be provided about the following two policemen actively involved in the investigation into that case:
    Godley, George: Sergeant in “J” Division // Helson, Joseph Henry: Detective Inspector in “J” Division
    I am aware of Godley’s role in the Chapman arrest, and that is not relevant to my interests here.
    I would be especially interested to learn why Helson was (according to newspaper reports, etc.) so closely associated with Abberline in conducting the investigation and where the lines of responsibility ran.
    This is particularly interesting because, as indicated in other threads, Godley is the policeman who is portrayed as Abberline's partner in at least two movies! Thanks in advance!
    P. M. Boggs
    Glasgow G38RB Scotland

Originally posted by P.M. Boggs View Post
    I’m focusing on the Nichols’ case and would greatly appreciate any information – personal or career-related – which could be provided about the following two policemen actively involved in the investigation into that case:
    Godley, George: Sergeant in “J” Division // Helson, Joseph Henry: Detective Inspector in “J” Division
    I am aware of Godley’s role in the Chapman arrest, and that is not relevant to my interests here.
    I would be especially interested to learn why Helson was (according to newspaper reports, etc.) so closely associated with Abberline in conducting the investigation and where the lines of responsibility ran.
    This is particularly interesting because, as indicated in other threads, Godley is the policeman who is portrayed as Abberline's partner in at least two movies! Thanks in advance!
    Hi PM,

Welcome to Casebook.

I dont have specifics for you, Im sure someone will, but I do know that Abberline had a group of detectives under his wing that Fall including Godley and Reid , that conducted interviews and investigated crime scenes as a "unit". I dont know how this was structured as far as reporting responsibilities, and I dont know if this group was solely tasked on matters of Ripper related events either. They all had Fenian investigation backgrounds as well.

Im sure something more informative will show up for you, there is a lot of knowledge here.

My best regards

Comment

Thanks for info

Hello Michael!
      Unfortunately your optimism about further responses was not warranted; other than yours there haven't been any. Thanks for your information, though.
      It gives me another dot to connect to the others. PB
      Originally posted by perrymason View Post
      Hi PM,

Welcome to Casebook.

I dont have specifics for you, Im sure someone will, but I do know that Abberline had a group of detectives under his wing that Fall including Godley and Reid , that conducted interviews and investigated crime scenes as a "unit". I dont know how this was structured as far as reporting responsibilities, and I dont know if this group was solely tasked on matters of Ripper related events either. They all had Fenian investigation backgrounds as well.

Im sure something more informative will show up for you, there is a lot of knowledge here.

My best regards
      P. M. Boggs
      Glasgow G38RB Scotland

Comment

Hello P.M.

Inspector Helson took charge of the Nichols case as the murder took place on J Div territory. I don`t know why he was placed in charge when fellow J Div Inspector John Spratling was the first Inspector on the scene.

Sgt Godley, also of J Div, was involved in investigations in Bucks Row that morning.

Incidentally, Godley and Henson were close neighbours, both living in Rutland Road, Hackney.

Abberline was asked by Scotland Yard to return to his old division, whilst Inspector Reid was away, to oversee enquiries.

I believe Godley and Abberline would have worked out of different police stations, as Godley was Bethnal Green (J Div) and Abberline was working out of Commercial St (H Div).

Someone like Walter Dew, a Detective Sgt who worked out of Commercial St, would have been a more accurate screen buddy for Abberline.

Comment

Working...
        X