Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Herlock Sholmes 4 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 5 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by cobalt 5 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by David Orsam 5 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A 20th Century Word Processor - by rjpalmer 5 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A 20th Century Word Processor - by David Orsam 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (24 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A 20th Century Word Processor - (8 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring a Life - (7 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (4 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (3 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Bury, W.H.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Mrsperfect Mrsperfect is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 82
Default Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Hello all. Bury has always attracted me as a viable suspect but the 'august' question has always been something to tackle. The first newsaper piece does mention that Bury and Ellen left Wolverhampton for London - Can we assume this means that they travelled directly? For me this at least keeps alive the view that Bury could have been in London on the 6th (Tabram) and back by the 31st (Nichols).

This is also the first contempory piece i have read that shows Bury having an interest in his attire - I know that Ripper mythology has the killer as the top-hatted, toff. Can anyone suggest where this stereotype comes from ?
There was a show in a nearby theatre that was featuring Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde about the same time as the murders were happening. The main character wore a top hat and cloak. It was closed down after (11)? weeks because it was too close to reality.

That's where the newspapers got the idea from. Bury was very conscious about his attire, (changing two to three times a day, when he went to Scotland).

Regards

Eileen
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Celesta Celesta is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: American Dog-Lover
Posts: 1,625
Default

Eileen,

When you say he was very conscious of his clothing, in what way? Do you mean he was constantly changing the styles of dress? It's odd behavior, isn't it? If we were discussing anyone else, one might think they were obsessive compulsive, or something along those lines.

Best,
Cel
__________________
"What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

__________________________________
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-07-2009, 04:36 PM
lovejoy lovejoy is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: lincolnshire uk
Posts: 30
Default burys conviction of theft from landlord

hi i wander has anyone any information on the fact of his conviction for theft from landlord in east london in either sept or oct 1988 id like to know what was taken how he was caught dates etc ive nothing on it but heard it was true please help yours martin
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:02 PM
swagman swagman is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsperfect View Post
There was a show in a nearby theatre that was featuring Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde about the same time as the murders were happening. The main character wore a top hat and cloak. It was closed down after (11)? weeks because it was too close to reality.

That's where the newspapers got the idea from. Bury was very conscious about his attire, (changing two to three times a day, when he went to Scotland).

Regards

Eileen
Hi. I know this is an old thread/post but i'm coming back to it as another thread has given me a couple of points to try and get to the bottom of (i'll explain later perhaps if whats in my head starts to become coherent !). As well as Bury's well publicised 'natty' attire i notice that he obviously had a liking for jewellery (bought 'alot' for his wife in Wolverhampton and had some in his possession when arrested in Dundee).

Can anyone expand on this? Is there any description of what items of jewellery Bury had on him when handing himself into the Police?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-25-2009, 12:44 AM
johns johns is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 124
Default

According to MacPherson, Bury had on him when he was arrested at Dundee Police Station the following...

"Several" gold rings
2 brooches
2 pairs of gold earrings
1 lady's silver watch
2 silver lockets
1 silver chain

MacPherson says "this was obviously the remains of Ellen Bury's jewellery"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-09-2016, 11:53 AM
John Wheat John Wheat is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
According to MacPherson, Bury had on him when he was arrested at Dundee Police Station the following...

"Several" gold rings
2 brooches
2 pairs of gold earrings
1 lady's silver watch
2 silver lockets
1 silver chain

MacPherson says "this was obviously the remains of Ellen Bury's jewellery"
Of course some of this could be memento's from the C5 murders if Bury was the Ripper.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-28-2016, 10:44 AM
Single-O-Seven Single-O-Seven is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 12
Default

I cannot help but wonder whatever happened to all of the items collected, not just from Bury, but from the victims? I understand the clothing was burned once removed and examined, but what about everything else? Could there still be a box of evidence stashed away somewhere, perhaps in a private collection, or was it all tossed out (earlier or later?), or simply pilfered over time? Would be neat if a stash of such evidence, even if its evidentiary value was gone, turned up one day!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-28-2016, 12:04 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single-O-Seven View Post
I cannot help but wonder whatever happened to all of the items collected, not just from Bury, but from the victims? I understand the clothing was burned once removed and examined, but what about everything else? Could there still be a box of evidence stashed away somewhere, perhaps in a private collection, or was it all tossed out (earlier or later?), or simply pilfered over time? Would be neat if a stash of such evidence, even if its evidentiary value was gone, turned up one day!
Pilfered is my guess, like the ripper files.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Single-O-Seven Single-O-Seven is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Pilfered is my guess, like the ripper files.
I suppose this means there is hope that's it still out there, somewhere. May turn up again one day.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-28-2016, 12:20 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single-O-Seven View Post
I suppose this means there is hope that's it still out there, somewhere. May turn up again one day.
Hope springs eternal, but I'm not holding my breath.

Something pilfered in the early 1900s was pilfered by someone long dead. I think the probability is that someone having no idea what the tin matchbox (or whatever othe little momento) was related to (or maybe even knowing) tossed it.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.