Hyam Hyams: Portrait of a Suspect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chris

Great research on Hyams and his family, as you say the fact that he didn't die until 1933 definitely helps to prove Hyam Hyams is the wrong one, now we just have to find out which one entered Colney Hatch!

Tj
    It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Originally posted by tji View Post
      Great research on Hyams and his family, as you say the fact that he didn't die until 1933 definitely helps to prove Hyam Hyams is the wrong one, now we just have to find out which one entered Colney Hatch!
      Thanks for your comments.

I also searched for a death/burial for Rose Hyams, and found a likely possibility - a Rose Hyams whose death at the age of 87 was registered at Hendon in the fourth quarter of 1942, and who was buried at East Ham Cemetery on 14 December. (Unfortunately the issue of the Jewish Chronicle for 18 December is missing from the online archive, otherwise it might have been possible to confirm that this is the right Rose from a death announcement.)

Comment

Chris, apologies because I am not up to speed with this thread, but I gathered you were looking for a marriage between a Clara and a Henry Boyles. I couldn't find it, but from the censuses it seems his middle initial was 'R'. I have a Henry Robert Boyles in the frame for him, registered Kensington Q4 1861. I have him 1911 and 1901 but lose him in 1891. But there is a probate for a Henry Robert Boyles, which makes me wonder if these two never actually married.
        Attached Files

Comment

There was a Clara Boyles d. Hammersmith Q4 1951 aged 84. Clara Hyams was born London C Q2 1868. That would make Clara Boyles's age at death one year out if they were one and the same person.

Comment

Robert

Thanks for that additional information. That certainly makes it look as though Henry and Clara weren't legally married.

In the post above, I should have included other estimates of Clara's date of birth:
            1901 census: c. 1869
            1911 census: c. 1868
            Death: c 1867

So on the whole there's not much of a discrepancy with the actual birth date of 1868.

Comment

Originally posted by tji View Post
              ... now we just have to find out which one entered Colney Hatch!
              Looking at the options, I think it would have been pretty hard to pick the right one without a helping hand from the Jewish Chronicle.

The death notice for Hy(m)an Hyams quoted earlier in the thread describes him as the brother of Mrs. J. Nathan, 3 Garrick-street, Covent Garden:

The Jewish Chronicle of 22 January 1915 contains a further death notice as follows:
              NATHAN. - On the 19th January, at 3, Garrick-street, Joseph Nathan, late of Covent Garden Market, aged 76. Deeply mourned by his wife, son, sisters, and brothers. Shiva at the above address. May his dear soul rest in peace.
              (There are three further notices placed by Joseph's brothers and sisters.)

The FreeBMD index contains only one marriage between a Joseph Nathan and a woman named Hyams - that of Joseph Nathan and Sarah Hyams registered in Westminster in the third quarter of 1896. In the 1901 census the couple is at 4 Drury Lane House, Covent Garden; Joseph is a fruit salesman aged 60, born in Lambeth, and Sarah is 40, and born in the City of London. (The ages vary a good deal from year to year - in 1911, from the online index, they are 73 and 46.)

In the same household in 1901 is "mother" (evidently Sarah's, not Joseph's) Rebecca Hyams, a widow aged 65, also born in the City of London. A further announcement in the Jewish Chronicle of 24 December 1909 reads:
              HYAMS. - The tombstone in loving memory of the late Mrs. Rebecca Hyams, mother of Mrs. Joseph Nathan, of 2, Crown Court-mansions, Bow-street, will be set on Sunday, January 2nd, at Plashet Cemetery, at 2 o'clock.
              (She was presumably the Rebecca Hyams whose death aged 78 was registered in the City of London in the third quarter of 1909, and who was buried at Plashet on 29 August.)

Two further announcements in the Jewish Chronicle in 1902 name a third sibling:
              HYAMS.-On the 22nd October, LEWIS HYAMS, youngest son of Rebecca Hyams, and brother of Mrs. Sarah Nathan, of 4, Drury House, Drury-lane. Shiva at the above address.
              [31 October 1902]
              MRS. LEWIS HYAMS, Mrs. SARAH NATHAN and MOTHER, of 4, Drury House, Drury-lane, return thanks to relatives and friends for visits and letters of condolence received during the week of mourning for the late Lewis Hyams, who died at the age of 38. God rest his soul in peace. Amen.
              [7 November 1902]

So in all, this gives us the following information about Hyam Hyams's immediate family:
              Rebecca Hyams, b. c. 1831-6
              had children:
              Hyam, b. c. 1854-1857
              Sarah, b. c. 1861-1865
              Lewis (youngest son), b. c. 1864

Comment

With the help of these details, the family of Hyam Hyams is easy to find in the earlier censuses - though it seems that its members had only the vaguest idea of how long ago they had been born. Below is a chronological outline:

First quarter of 1853
                Marriage of Isaac Hyams and Rebecca Mordecai, St Luke.

Either second or third quarter of 1853
                Birth registration of Hyam Hyams, East London.

First quarter of 1855
                Birth registration of Mark Hyams, East London.

Fourth quarter of 1855
                Birth registration of Sarah Hyams, East London.

Fourth quarter of 1858
                Birth registration of Lazarus Hyams, Whitechapel.

Third quarter of 1860
                Birth registration of Priscilla Hyams, Whitechapel.

1861 census, 31 Love Court, Whitechapel
                Isaac Hyams / Head / Mar / 30 / General Dealer / [Middlesex] London
                Rebecca Do / Wife / Do / 33 / / Do Do
                Hyman Do / Son / / 8 / Scholar / Do Do
                Mark Do / Do / / 6 / Do / Do Do
                Sarah Do / Daur / / 5 / Do / Do Do
                Lazarus Do / Son / / 2 / Do / Do Do
                Priscilla Do / Daur / / 8mo / / Do Do

First quarter of 1863
                Birth registration of Lewis Hyams, East London.

Fourth quarter of 1863
                Death registration of Isaac Hyams, Whitechapel.
                Buried at West Ham Cemetery, 1 November 1863.

1863-1865
                Three possible death registrations for Priscilla Hyams.

1871 census, 2 Eastmans Ct, Bell Lane
                Rebecca Hyams / [Head] / Widow / 37 / Fruiterer / Middx
                Hyman do / Son / Un / 18 / " / "
                Mark do / " / " / 17 / " / "
                Sarah do / Daur / " / 15 / " / "
                Lazarus do / Son / " / 13 / " / "
                Lewis Hyams / Son / Un / 9 / Scholar / Middx

1881 census
                Despite quite a lot of searching, I haven't been able to track down the family.

1891 census, 26 Mount St, Whitechapel
                Rebecca Hyams / Head / Wid / 56 / / London [Whitechapel]
                Sarah " / Daur / S / 28 / Tailoress [employed] / " "
                Lazarus " / Son / " / 26 / Shop/General Dealer [neither] / " "

As for Hyam, he was married by the date of the 1881 census, when he and his wife were boarders in the household of J. Levy at 23 Heneage St, Mile End New Town (he took some finding, as his surname had been indexed as "Kyms"):
                Hyman Hyams [originally written Hyms] / [Border] / Mar / 27 / Cigar Maker / [Middlesex Spitalfields]
                Sarah / " / " / 23 / / " "

Curiously there seem to be two different marriage registrations for the couple. In the fourth quarter of 1877, there is the marriage of Hamey Hyams and Sarah Davis in Whitechapel. And in the second quarter of 1878 a couple with the same names in the City of London. Why they should have gone through two marriage ceremonies I'm not sure. The timing agrees reasonably well with Sarah's statement in the 1911 census that she had been married for 30 years, and also with the fact that by 1889 she had suffered four miscarriages as well as bearing two children who had survived.

Comment

Hi Chris

This is great, well done, and so quickly, you put the rest of us to shame!

I have found some information on Hyams history if it helps,

As you say Isaac Hyams (father's name Hyam) married Rebecca Mordecai on 17 March 1853.

I have Rebeccca living in 1851 at 3 Horse Shoe Alley with her parents Eliezer and Esther. Her father is a clothes dealer.
                  Also living there is her sister Jane (22) tailoress
                  herself (20) domestic at home
                  Mark (16) cigar maker
                  Abraham 14 cigar maker.

I though I had a lot more on Isaac but it turns out after quite a bit of searching I was tracking the wrong family!! Quite a few family members had very similar names and years, but I suppose you win some you lose some.

Tj

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    I think there's no doubt that Tracy is right that the Colney Hatch patient Hyam Hyams is a different man from the son of Solomon and Fanny (nee Levy).

The death of a Hyam Hyams aged 78 was registered at Hackney in the last quarter of 1933. He was buried on 11 December at East Ham Cemetery, and his death was announced in the Jewish Chronicle of 15 December as follows:
                    HYAMS. - on Saturday, the 9th of December, after a very short illness, Hyam (Peter) Hyams, beloved brother of Mrs. Addie Abrahams and Mrs. Clara Boyles. Shiva at 36, Woodside Park-road, N.12.
                    In summary, it does seem clear that Hyam Hyams the son of Solomon and Fanny (nee Levy) did not die until 1933, and was therefore not the same Hyam Hyams who was at Colney Hatch. It does seem likely that he was the man who married Rose Aarons and appeared as a fruiterer in the 1891 and 1901 censuses. That could be definitely confirmed by the marriage certificate, which would give his father's name.
                    Confirmation of the fact that Hyam Hyams (d. 1933), the son of Solomon and Fanny - who has wrongly been identified with the Colney Hatch patient and suggested Ripper suspect - was indeed the husband of Rose (Aarons) is provided by the gravestones of the couple at East Ham cemetery, shown below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HyamAndRoseHyamsGraves.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	661240

Comment

Hi Chris

Great photos, thanks for taking the time out to take them and post them on here.

I think that certainly closes the case for Hyam of Mitre Street, well done!

I am still looking for info on Hyam and Kate/Sarah but still not having much luck.

Tj

Comment

Some records relating to Hyam Hyams's family are in the registers of the Great Synagogue (which have been microfilmed by the Latter-day Saints).

His parents were married on 17 March 1853. There are two marriage registers, one giving brief details, partly in English and partly in Hebrew, and also one in the standard printed format. Here is the English/Hebrew version:

Name:	IsaacHyams_combo.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	661340

According to the more detailed entry Isaac Hyams and Rebecca Mordecai were married at the Great Synagogue Chambers in the parish of St James Dukes place in the City of London.
                        Isaac Hyams, of full age, Bachelor, General dealer, of 24 Love Court Middlesex St Whitechapel, was the son of Hyam Hyams, Deceased.
                        Rebecca Mordecai, of full age, Spinster, of 24 Love Court Middlesex St Whitechapel, was the daughter of Lazarus Mordecai, Dealer.
                        They were married by Aaron Levy Green, and both made marks.
                        The witnesses were Mark Marks, Hyam Jonas, who were both common witnesses, and Simeon Oppenheim Secy of the Great Synagogue Dukes place.
                        [Great Synagogue Marriage Registers. LDS films 94666 (brief), second volume, p. 147 and 94661 (printed form), p. 38.]

The register of births was also partly in English and partly in Hebrew. The birth of Heyman, son of Rebecca and Isaac Hyams, of 6 Crown Place Whitechapel was registered by Simeon Oppenheim. The date of birth was June 19 1853, and the date when named was June 26 1853.
                        [LDS film 94658, Great Synagogue Births 1852-1862, 1st vol, p. 20.]

Name:	HeymanHyams_combo.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	661341

The birth of the next son, Mark, also appears in the register. He was born on December 9 1854 and named on December 16 1854. By this time the family had moved to 6 George Court Stoney Lane.
                        [LDS film 94658, Great Synagogue Births 1852-1862, 1st vol, p. 79.]

The burial of Hyam's father was also in the Great Synagogue register. Isaac Hyams, of 4 Montague Street Bell Lane Spitalfields, died on October 31 1863 and was buried on November 1 1863. (The name of the burial ground was given in Hebrew, but as noted above he was buried at West Ham.)
                        [LDS film 94665 Great Synagogue Burials 1854-1872, first volume]

Comment

Hi Chris

Interesting to note that Sarah Hyams (of 1a Hutchinson St) childrens names Ike (short for Isaac) and Kate are the names of Hyam Hyams father and Sarah Davis's mother. A tenuous link I realise but a link none the less.
                          Also I am sure you have noticed she was still classed as married not widowed even though she was classed as Head of household.

tj

Comment

Although the name of Sarah as the wife of the Hyam Hyams in Colney Hatch has already been established by the excellent research on this thread I thought it worth posting some of the notes from Hyam Hyams entry in the
                            'City of London Orders Of removal Lunatic Admissions 1889-1890'

Hyam's wife's name is given as Sarah Hyams of 36 New Street Houndsditch.

After being sent to the City of London Asylum at Stone it was found that Hyams was not settled in the City of London Union or any part of it, but the parish of Mile End Old Town was the place of his last settlement.

There are some notes explaining that settlement in Mile End Old Town was proved at an earlier date in 1889:
                            "That under justices order dated the 12th day of June 1889, Sarah Hyams the wife of the said Hyam Hyams and their two children were legally removed from the said City of London Union to the said Parish of 'Mile End Old Town' as their place of settlement derived thro' the said Hyam Hyams."

In the Mile End workhouse religious creed register 1886-1890
                            There is this entry, which relates to the above settlement note:

admitted July 13th 1889
                            Sarah Hyams born in 1855
                            Kate Hyams born in 1888
                            Passd. from City of London Union
                            Hebrew
                            refused to stay
                            Last edited by Debra A; 03-26-2011, 11:30 PM. Reason: corrected DOB of Sarah

Comment

Great finds yet again Debs - thanks for posting them.

It looks as though then that we do indeed have the correct wife and children for Hyam with the reports you have discovered.

Guess poor Sarah didn't feel like staying in the workhouse, when they moved them to Mile End Old Town.

Tj

Comment

Thanks Tracy, they don't really give any new info but the issues over settlement are interesting, (to me anyway! ) the various unions really were strict on this issue from what I've seen.
                                I wonder if that is why Hyam was transfered to Colney Hatch in 1890?

Comment

Working...
                                X