Anyone else getting malware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else getting malware?

My browser keeps trying to download a RAR file called 'Your_Taxes-08.16' whilst I have this site open. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    My browser keeps trying to download a RAR file called 'Your_Taxes-08.16' whilst I have this site open. Anyone else experiencing something similar?
    Nope.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Nor me.

Comment

Nothing here either - I'd make sure that all of your Virus definitions etc are as up-to-date as possible. Windows has been updating like crazy for me for the last couple of days and I've noticed that quite a few of them are security updates.

Comment

Hi, Harry D.

No problems here, either. I use Avast antivirus and Comodo firewall, which seem to do a good job of keeping my laptop free from pesky cyber invaders.

You may want to take note of the ads that are displayed during the download as it could be simply due to some bad coding within the ad itself. Many of the ads on forums such as these are served up based on your geographic location and personal browsing and search history. This means that myself and others giving replies may not be experiencing your specific issue because we are getting served different ads than yourself.

However, I checked on a couple of malware databases and the RAR file you referenced was around in 2009 and apparently being served through an ad for 'JSK Ultrasonics', mainly on gaming forum sites.
          So it does seem malicious in nature.
          Currently, there is a similar RAR file called 'Your_mortgage_payments.rar' being pushed, apparently through an ad for 'Starlet Building', mainly on social and gaming sites.

If it's only appearing during certain ads, let admin know so they can contact Google or Yahoo and have those ads blocked via Adsense. It might also be useful to take a screen-shot of the ad(s) for reference and then use the AdChoices button to opt out of the ad in the future.

Meanwhile, you may want to check out this site - bleepingcomputer.com for useful advice

And this program, if you think you have an infection - malwarebytes.com

Let us know how things turn out.

Yours, Caligo
          Last edited by Caligo Umbrator; 08-11-2016, 10:05 AM.
          https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/flag_uk.gif "I know why the sun never sets on the British Empire: God wouldn't trust an Englishman in the dark."

Comment

Hi Harry

I have checked using both Windows and Ubuntu systems, and tried Chrome, my old copy of IE and Firefox; not getting the problem at all so hard to advise you.

All i can suggest is the same others have, check your updates are done and your antivirius is up todate, but am sure you have done all that.

I looked at the source code for the messageboard page but can see nothing obvious.
            is the download showing up on any particular page, or just any?

sorry can't be of more help

Steve

Comment

No malware here, but Casebook.org is the most infuriating website I know. For a start, it takes a long time to open fully, then goes through a period when it jumps about, and on some occasions there is a distinct and very annoying time-lag between typing a letter and that letter appearing on the screen in a post. This doesn't happen on any other website, including forum sites, that I use.

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                No malware here, but Casebook.org is the most infuriating website I know. For a start, it takes a long time to open fully, then goes through a period when it jumps about, and on some occasions there is a distinct and very annoying time-lag between typing a letter and that letter appearing on the screen in a post. This doesn't happen on any other website, including forum sites, that I use.

Graham
                I've had this with other forums in the past, but never Casebook. In my experience, changing browser will often solve the problem...I assume it's something to do with the coding on the site not gelling with whichever browser that you're using.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligo Umbrator View Post
                  Hi, Harry D.

Meanwhile, you may want to check out this site - bleepingcomputer.com for useful advice

And this program, if you think you have an infection - malwarebytes.com

Let us know how things turn out.

Yours, Caligo
                  I too would recommend Malwarebytes; also Spybot - for getting rid of unwanted spyware as the name suggests (both available as free downloads).
                  I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I haven't encountered this anymore, so it was probably just a rogue Google ad on the site.

Comment

Working...
                    X