No announcement yet.

Jack the Ripper At Last? by Helena Wojtczak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations Helena, it looks good. I do like the picture of Chapman on the front cover. I've not seen that picture of him before.... I wonder what women saw in him? Perhaps he was good looking by Victorian standards, although that hairy moustache would put me right off!
    You raise an interesting point in your previous post. Are murderous tendencies inherited? Unlikely, I would have thought, but it does make one wonder why some people kill and others do not. Mental illness, of course, can run in families. I wonder how descendants would feel if it was proved who Jack the Ripper was? Surely, they will become instant celebrities?
    Eliza Marsh, by the way, was my great,great aunt. Harriet, her sister, was my great grandmother. I have actually got a photo of Sarah, their mother, who was Maud's grandmother. Fortunately, for her, she died in 1901 so missed the murder of Maud and the trial.
    Really looking forward to reading what you have discovered during your research.

Amanda

Comment

Congratulations Helena

It looks as good as (vide Ripperologist) it sounds...

I've every confidence it'll be a huge success for you, justifying the incredible amount of research I'm sure you've put in...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Sumner View Post
        I wonder what women saw in him? Perhaps he was good looking by Victorian standards, although that hairy moustache would put me right off!
        When my boyfriend grew a moustache for "Movember" he was a dead ringer for Chapman. When I found out Chapman's height and weight, they match him almost exactly (boyfriend being 2 inches taller but the same weight). It occurred to me that, if a musical were ever made of George C (along the lines of Sweeney Todd) my fella could play the leading role.

it does make one wonder why some people kill and others do not. Mental illness, of course, can run in families. I wonder how descendants would feel if it was proved who Jack the Ripper was? Surely, they will become instant celebrities?
        OMG you raise a good point here. Do current day "Ripper Hunters" ever think about how devastating it would be for the descendents if anyone were ever proved to be Jack the Ripper?

Eliza Marsh, by the way, was my great,great aunt. Harriet, her sister, was my great grandmother.
        Ahhh thanks for clearing that up. And thanks also for your positive comments and compliments!

Helena
        Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
          Congratulations Helena

It looks as good as (vide Ripperologist) it sounds...

I've every confidence it'll be a huge success for you, justifying the incredible amount of research I'm sure you've put in...

All the best

Dave
          Aww thanks Dave!I have over 40 pre-orders for the hardback now. The proof copy has finally reached the UK - it's now at the UPS depot at Barking!

I should get in Monday.

Helena

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry I said that but I hope your boyfriend has a kinder face than Chapman, if he is a dead ringer for him. Chapman looks a very cold fish to me in that photo.

Looking forward to getting the book. When will it be ready?

I've got a photo, by the way, of Maud's grave but it has no headstone. I wonder why? Perhaps you already know this?
            Perhaps the family could not afford one, or for some reason it was taken down?

Thought that was very sad, considering what she had gone through.

Hope your book is a great success. My family have ordered three of them!

All the best,

Mandy
            Last edited by Amanda Sumner; 11-15-2013, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak
              When my boyfriend grew a moustache for "Movember" he was a dead ringer for Chapman.
              Pour your own drinks.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                Pour your own drinks.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                Hahaha very funny, Tom!

Comment

Hi everyone!

I'm pleased to announce that the LIMITED EDITION DE LUXE HARDBACK edition of my book has been despatched from the printer and is due here on Friday. I shall commence posting the books out over the weekend.

The edition is limited to 100 copies, of which 69 have been preordered.

Each copy is individually numbered and signed by the author; can be dedicated or inscribed with the wording of your choice.

This edition is exclusive - will not be available in bookshops, only direct from the author.

272 pages, 156mm x 234mm

Over 100 illustrations

On matt photographic paper throughout

Full cover loose jacket over a printed hardback cover

Ribbon marker

Price £20 plus postage as follows:

UK - £4
                  Europe and Eire - £8
                  USA and worldwide airmail - £13
                  USA and worldwide surface mail - £8

For Paypal/credit/debit card orders, please order via my website at:

To pay by bank transfer or cheque, please message me for details.

Helena
                  Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 11-27-2013, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
                    OMG you raise a good point here. Do current day "Ripper Hunters" ever think about how devastating it would be for the descendents if anyone were ever proved to be Jack the Ripper?
                    That's not going to happen. Also, The Isenschmidt's The Druitt's, The Hutchinson's, The Van Gogh's, and I'm sorry to say Helen The Klosowski's, can certainly sit comfortable in their chairs. In my very humble opinion, there are no plausible candidates for the title of Jack The Ripper.

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                      That's not going to happen. Also, The Isenschmidt's The Druitt's, The Hutchinson's, The Van Gogh's, and I'm sorry to say Helen The Klosowski's, can certainly sit comfortable in their chairs. In my very humble opinion, there are no plausible candidates for the title of Jack The Ripper.
                      I think that there are many plausible candidates for Jack the Ripper, some more than others, but proving that any of them was him is the problem. I agree that the families can be confident that that is not going to happen but it would be interesting to find out what their reactions would be if ever it did.
                      Last edited by Amanda Sumner; 11-28-2013, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I think that there are many plausible candidates for Jack the Ripper, some more than others, but proving that any of them was him is the problem. I agree that the families can be confident that that is not going to happen but it would be interesting to find out what their reactions would be if ever it did.
                        The problem that we have always had is no one apart from Stewart Evans has discoverd a suspect who was suspected at the time by the police.Yes druitt was named a few years later by a high ranking police officer who joined shortly after the ripper murders which in my opion must carry some weight and it seems kosminski was a suspect purely because he picked up a knife and threatened a member of his family two years after the murders.If the police ever had a strong suspect at the time I think we would be aware of it so all we can do is try and fit some unlikely oddballs into the frame of jack the ripper.My favourite suspect has always been druitt purely because of a story told by my descendents was he our killer I very much doubt it .Chapman was a callous nasty piece of work but to try and put him forward as our killer is just not possible without any real evidence.
                        Last edited by pinkmoon; 11-28-2013, 01:19 PM.
                        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Pinkmoon : I agree. However plausible a suspect may be there has to be evidence to prove it, which after all these years is extremely unlikely. There have been many people that have put Chapman, among others, as a likely suspect and, let's face it, all of the suspects are nasty pieces of work, but to try and put any of them forward as our killer is not possible without proof. Perhaps that is why Helena has a question mark in the title of her book because any theories she may or may not have, it's all conjecture as far as the JtR story goes. However if we were to only deal with facts then forums like these will cease to exist and books would not be written on the subject at all. Even analysing statements and reports done at the time are open to interpretation.
                          My favourite suspect has been, for a long time, Jacob Levy because he was behaving very strangely and had real mental issues during those crucial times. A very plausible suspect if ever there was one, in my opinion!
                          Last edited by Amanda Sumner; 11-28-2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Pinkmoon : I agree. However plausible a suspect may be there has to be evidence to prove it, which after all these years is extremely unlikely. There have been many people that have put Chapman, among others, as a likely suspect and, let's face it, all of the suspects are nasty pieces of work, but to try and put any of them forward as our killer is not possible without proof. Perhaps that is why Helena has a question mark in the title of her book because any theories she may or may not have, it's all conjecture as far as the JtR story goes. However if we were to only deal with facts then forums like these will cease to exist and books would not be written on the subject at all. Even analysing statements and reports done at the time are open to interpretation.
                            My favourite suspect has been, for a long time, Jacob Levy because he was behaving very strangely and had real mental issues during those crucial times. A very plausible suspect if ever there was one, in my opinion!
                            Evening Amanda my dear,your suspect is just as good as mine however like druitt we do lack real evidence.Both our suspects seem to be mentally disturbed at the time but apart from that we have no real evidence.When I look back over the years that I have been fascinated by this case I now think it is unfair that people have accused people like druitt of appalling things without any real proof I'm just as bad though by buying the books and dvds and listening to the tales told to me by my relatives.I have always had doubts about our killer living locally simply because I think if he lived a matter of yards away from his prey he could have killed a lot more also no one stated seeing someone who was local.I do think the syphilis angle is very plausible for a reason for our killers anger towards prostitutes let's face to contract that in those days you not going to have a happily ever after.
                            Last edited by pinkmoon; 11-28-2013, 03:52 PM.
                            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

all of the suspects are nasty pieces of work,
                              Surely Druitt only becomes "a nasty piece of work" if you make an assumption that he was the killer or that the unspecified 'trouble' at Valentine's School was monstrous in nature. Otherwise he remains simply a barrister / schoolmaster who took his own life.

Sorry, Helena. That's off topic, but I think the point needed making.
                              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                                Surely Druitt only becomes "a nasty piece of work" if you make an assumption that he was the killer or that the unspecified 'trouble' at Valentine's School was monstrous in nature. Otherwise he remains simply a barrister / schoolmaster who took his own life.

Sorry, Helena. That's off topic, but I think the point needed making.
                                Like I just said it is more than likely that druitt was only guilty of suffering from a mental illness and people have written some dreadfully things about him I'm just as bad by buying the books though.

Comment

Working...
                                X