Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutbush Relatives

From http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=uk

This is G o o g l e's cache of http://forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-3764.html as retrieved on 9 Dec 2007 11:19:45 GMT.
    G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
    The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.
    This cached page may reference images which are no longer available. Click here for the cached text only.
    To link to or bookmark this page, use the following url: http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=uk

Google is neither affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
    These search terms have been highlighted: cutbush relatives
    These terms only appear in links pointing to this page: archive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Cutbush, Thomas > Cutbush Relatives

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PDAView Full Version : Cutbush Relatives

leesean16th February 2007, 12:54 PM
    Greetings fellow Ripperologists

I am new and this is my first ever post- so be gentle!

I am trying to track down living descendents of Thomas Cutbush, and having a pretty tough time!

Has anyone out there had any more luck than me? I would love to hear from you.

Natalie Severn16th February 2007, 01:46 PM
    Hi Leesean.Welcome to the boards!
    I myself dont have such information but the person you need to address is AP Wolf,an author who has also published a book on Thomas Cutbush,"Jack the Myth", which he kindly made avaiable on this site.At present he is not posting on here but you can pm him and he wont mind I am sure.AP Wolf has done stacks of research on Thomas Cutbush along with Robert [teaboy] and they have both produced some fascinating material on almost every aspect of the Victorian Cutbush "extended" family [!!!] as well as earlier ones-some or most of it on line here.You may have to plough through the Cutbush thread and others to find it all but it does make compelling and informative background reading for those interested in this suspect.
    However,I myself have never read of any living relatives being approached or contacted in any way,which is not to say that this line of research has not been approached,just that I havent read it.
    I personally went to Collindale and researched material on The Sun Newspaper"s claim in 1894 that they had inside information from their contacts as journalists that Thomas Cutbush was The Ripper---an assertion Macnaghten rushed in to deny with his famous,somewhat cobbled together and inaccurate counter claims in 1894. Chris Scott has transcribed all of my findings from the Sun newspaper reports and they too can be found on here.Macnaghten by the way, thought a "drowned doctor" was "more likely" to have been the Ripper[ie Druitt , Macnaghten"s prime suspect] or possibly Kosminski
    -a harmless man from all accounts locked in an asylum from 1891 but not for homicide or even a record of violence.Ostrog was the third-suspect mentioned.

The jury is still out but in my view Cutbush is a good suspect.Another police suspect was Frances Tumblety,about whom Inspector Littlechild stated ".....and in my opinion a very likely one"[ripper suspect]......

Oh Well-----we struggle on-----Good Luck anyway
    Natalie

Debra A16th February 2007, 02:22 PM
    Hi Leesean and welcome
    When you say decsendants of Thomas Cutbush I take it you mean any living relatives of Thomas's family, as Thomas himself had no children himself that I know of.
    I have been in touch in the past with some members of a related family of Thomas's and I know Robert has been in touch with a few others too.
    The closest living relatives to try and track down I suppose would be any descendants of Thomas Taylor Cutbush ( Thomas's father) and his third wife Frances Augusta Swann, who had links to Australia and Fiji (? I think!)

Hope this helps

Natalie Severn16th February 2007, 06:34 PM
    Debs,
    sincere apologies---I wasnt thinking to have left you out here---I was more thinking of the long history of AP"s and Robert"s discussions etc going back to when I joined here in 2003.But let me say that I have seen some of the terrific research you have done on this case -----no question your research has been absolutely first rate ,second to none ---
    Natalie

Debra A16th February 2007, 06:52 PM
    Aww, thanks Nats, but no worries and no need to apologise at all
    You're right, AP and Robert had done most of the research before I came along, in fact I only joined the old site because of the two of them and their work.

robert16th February 2007, 08:45 PM
    Hi Leesean

Both the above ladies have made great contributions to our knowledge of Cutbush and his background.

Thomas seems to have died without issue, although he had issues, and in a big way!

Aside from at least three half siblings in Australia, he had a younger brother in England, but he died in infancy.

His father died in 1886 after one valid marriage and at leasat two bigamous ones (at the last count).

Robert

leesean20th February 2007, 04:40 PM
    Wow- what a helpful response- I see I'm not the only one out there interested in Mr Cutbush!

Yeah I'm trawling through the Cutbush links right now- makes for very interesting reading. The Sun articles are amazing and the Victorian style of investigative journalism is brilliant. Where else could you read the line "Several lunatics were assisting in the kitchen"?

I'm thinking it may be worth looking into Chalrles Henry Cutbush's descendents as well

robert20th February 2007, 04:53 PM
    Hi Leesean

I've never spoken to any of CHC's descendants. I'll have to try to trace them genealogically.

But first I'll have to try and get a look at his gravestone, because that might cut out a bit of the work, if it turns out to be a large family grave.

Robert

vBulletin v3.6.0, Copyright ©2000-2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Cutbush relatives

Hi Leesean

I am responding to your enquiry for living descendants of Thomas Cutbush.
    I am his half 2nd great grand niece.

This is also my first shot at joining the JtR Forum and I feel pretty nervous.

Please feel free to contact me if you wish.

Regards,

Gloria

Comment

Hi Gloria and welcome to the casebook. Don't be nervous, there are plenty of nice folk here.
      Regards Mike

Comment

Yes, Gloria, very nice to hear from you.
        I'm quite sure that the redoubtable Robert will be in touch with you very soon.
        I'd be interested to know how you came upon this site?
        Through a family interest, or a general wider interest in the subject?

Comment

Hallo Gloria, and welcome to the boards.

I will PM you, as AP predicted.

Robert

Comment

[QUOTE=Gloria;27406]Hi Leesean

Regards,

Hi Gloria, great to hear from you.Hope you will find the boards of some interest
            Best Wishes

Comment

Originally posted by Gloria View Post
              Hi Leesean

sorry, im a little slow, whos related to whom? cant quite work out what this means.

welcome to the forums

joel
              if mickey's a mouse, and pluto's a dog, whats goofy?

Comment

Hi Gloria-
                Welcome Don't be nervous-
                Suzi x
                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hi Gloria

I have PMd you. Just go to "Message Boards" and look under the welcome sign.

Robert

Comment

Cap'n Jack, Thanks for your welcome and true to prophecy, Robert contacted me to welcome me to the site. I am having a bit of a battle finding my way around the site (bit of a dodo on computers), but I am getting there.
                    I continue to read the Forum with interest. I can now understand what all the "hush" was about with my family history - a notorious relative!
                    Gloria

Comment

Suzi, Very many thanks for the welcome, and a big wave to you too.
                      Gloria

Comment

Cap'n Jack,
                        Forgot to tell you I was looking up the name "Cutbush" when I fell upon the Forum. Luck days for me...
                        Gloria

Comment

Originally posted by joelhall View Post
                          sorry, im a little slow, whos related to whom? cant quite work out what this means.

welcome to the forums

joel
                          Hi Joel, and thanks for the welcome. Don't worry, slow is sure.
                          Gloria

Comment

No worries, Gloria, I was actually reading up on the South African side of your family when you turned up here; and you are most welcome here.
                            You may not know that it is my belief that Thomas Cutbush's father - Thomas Taylor Cutbush - ended up in South Africa, after leaving Fiji, and may well have died there... and I believe that he was visiting members of your family there. He often ended up in places around the world where he had a strong family connection to the Floods, Mears and even the Stoddarts.
                            I'd be very interested to know if there is any family connection you are able to make to the Whitechapel Bell Foundry or any of the properties owned by the Flood-Cutbush clan around the foundry?
                            I don't know how much you know about Debra's, Robert's and my own research into your family, but it is certainly an interesting diversion to look into the family links to Fiji where one finds the Cutbush clan linked to the Swann family - who now virtually run and rule Fiji - through the Taylor family - who own a bell foundry in England.
                            Prepare for the journey of a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Gloria View Post
                              Hi Leesean

Regards,

Gloria
                              Hi Gloria,

Welcome to the site. So nice to meet you. There's a lot to see on this site. I often come across something that I had not seen before. Looking forward to talking with you.

Celesta
                              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Working...
                              X