Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Just noticed something funny Phil.

I'm 58 this year. So near enough to the same age.

You say your gran (I assume Grandmother) was born in 1888. But for me it was my Great Grandmother who was born in 1888.
    And they sure saw some changes mine would often talk about going from horse and cart to car and bus, and planes and man walking in the moon. That new tangled telephone, TV and the colour TV, I just wish someone had recorded it all.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Just noticed something funny Phil.

I'm 58 this year. So near enough to the same age.

You say your gran (I assume Grandmother) was born in 1888. But for me it was my Great Grandmother who was born in 1888.
      Hi Gut,

Goes to show eh? Mum was 42 when I was born. Gran was 28 when Mum was born. Both relatively old ages for births in those days. Gran was born smack bang in the autumn of 1888 in the East End. At least 5 generations going back from her birth were all East Enders. And all the other gt..gt gt grandparents on Mums side.

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
        Hi Gut,

Goes to show eh? Mum was 42 when I was born. Gran was 28 when Mum was born. Both relatively old ages for births in those days. Gran was born smack bang in the autumn of 1888 in the East End. At least 5 generations going back from her birth were all East Enders. And all the other gt..gt gt grandparents on Mums side.

Phil
        I find it strange sometimes on that line she was born 88 her daughter 6th child, was born 1914 (gran aged 26) her daughter, my mum in '35 (Nan was 21).

Now if each first born was born when the mum was the age if the youngest in the generation could probably fit another two generations in, (if you can follow that)

Gran born 1888,
        Her first born 1902 (yep 14)
        The youngest mum in the next generation was 16
        Next generation it was 18
        Next a 17 (that'd bring us to 1959 the year I was born)

So instead of Gran, Nan, Mum, me, there'd have been another generation.

Now on dad's side a whole different kettle of fish

Grandad was born 1883 (always thought if funny that grandad was five years older than great grandmother)
        He was 46 by the time rolled around
        Then dad was 30 before he was blessed with perfection (me).
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

And they sure saw some changes mine would often talk about going from horse and cart to car and bus, and planes and man walking in the moon. That new tangled telephone, TV and the colour TV, I just wish someone had recorded it all.
          Hi Gut,

You are old enough to recall "North Sea Gas" being piped into every home in the early 1970's.
          My gran saw the workers slowly digging up and working their way down the street. She wasn't happy. We had to be there all the time any worker entered the house.
          "Bleedin' strangers".. she called them.
          When told by me..that NSG was much safer than ordinary gas..and that it was impossible for people to gas themselves in the oven with this stuff. .she said..
          "If I wann'id to bleedin' top my bleedin' self.. I would 'ave done it by now boy.
          One question. Will it cook the Sunday dinna betta?"
          I thought quickly and said.."Actually..yes".
          "Well..thats orright then". "Let the lazy sods in n tell 'em to get a bleedin' move on. Today is Friday. I want Sunday dinner ready by 2.30 sharp on Sunday. I'll save 'em some drippin'."

She didn't have a phone. My Dad rewired her house in 1948 when her hubby died. She never went to a hospital in her life before the day she died aged 90. "Don't trust bleedin' doctors ". She gave birth to her 4 kids at home..helped by her sister. Smoked 20 strong tobacco roll ups a day..drank a pint of Guinness every evening at home.. and was as hard as nails. I loved her to bits.

Kids dont know the meaning of family history today.

Regards

Phil
          Last edited by Phil Carter; 05-19-2017, 05:20 PM.
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

I find it strange sometimes on that line she was born 88 her daughter 6th child, was born 1914 (gran aged 26) her daughter, my mum in '35 (Nan was 21).

Now if each first born was born when the mum was the age if the youngest in the generation could probably fit another two generations in, (if you can follow that)

Gran born 1888,
            Her first born 1902 (yep 14)
            The youngest mum in the next generation was 16
            Next generation it was 18
            Next a 17 (that'd bring us to 1959 the year I was born)

So instead of Gran, Nan, Mum, me, there'd have been another generation.

Now on dad's side a whole different kettle of fish

Grandad was born 1883 (always thought if funny that grandad was five years older than great grandmother)
            He was 46 by the time rolled around
            Then dad was 30 before he was blessed with perfection (me).
            Hi Gut,

Much like my family.
            Gran..b.1888 was the youngest of 10.
            The oldest was born 1873 (gt uncle Charlie)
            Her Mum was born 1854 (next youngest)
            Her Gran born 1829.( next youngest)

If the oldest had been "counted" in direct line each time... It would be 1806, 1844, 1873, 1904, 1926,1951.
            My Mums cousin b. 1925 was the youngest of the kids of Charlie (9 kids..8 boys and one girl).He..the cousin..was born one year before the oldest(a cousin of his) of the generation before. He died 8 years ago aged 83.
            Like you say..a generation jump.
            My youngest was born in 1995. 79 years after his gran!

Regards

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

You can't beat Grannies, they're like a second mother. At whatever hour I was put to bed, it was always too early. So I sneaked upstairs (taking care not to make the stairs creak) and watched my Nan's TV. She hadn't the heart to send me down. I fact I often got a mug of cocoa and some buttered toast.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                You can't beat Grannies, they're like a second mother. At whatever hour I was put to bed, it was always too early. So I sneaked upstairs (taking care not to make the stairs creak) and watched my Nan's TV. She hadn't the heart to send me down. I fact I often got a mug of cocoa and some buttered toast.
                Hi Robert,

" 'ere lad..'ere's thruppence. Don't tell your Mum"

Ahh..the memories. 😊

Regards

Phil
                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  I was lucky had a few grandmothers and one Great Grandmother.
                  G U T

Comment

A few grandmothers? I thought the traditional number was two.

Comment

Basically because the "right" belongs to the client not the lawyer and when he is dead he can't waive it.
                      But nor can he dispute a claim that it was waived before death.
                      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                        But nor can he dispute a claim that it was waived before death.
                        Ahhh but the onus is on the lawyer to show it was waived, and the question I was addressing was along the lines of "does privilege survive death?"
                        G U T

Comment

As regards Brady and Hindley it is a sobering thought that Lesley Ann Downey was murdered a little over a mile as the crow flies from the house I lived in back then (and left only comparatively recently). I was 8 and the tales that were told post trial by the kids locally about that crime in particular filled many of us with fear - I avoided Hattersley as far as I could for a long time. Still, I often wondered why my Mum wouldn't let me go anywhere even in my early teens.

Recalling the dates for the crimes - Pauline Reade (12th July 1963), John Kilbride (23rd November 1963), Keith Bennett (16th June 1964), Lesley Ann Downey (26th December 1964) and Edward Evans (6th October 1965) there seem to be long gaps with regard to the two Hattersley killings which might make you think there could be more than the 5 overall we know about (there's that number 5 again).

They moved to the area from Manchester and it's a fact that the outsiders have given my home town of Hyde (and also Hattersley) a very bad name - I'm referring here, in particular, to Brady, Hindley, Harold Shipman and Dale Cregan who all committed horrendous crimes in the Town but were aliens. Shipman was at one time in the same practice as my own Doctor and, yes, I had the misfortune to consult him and on at least one occasion he deputised for my own Doctor on a home visit. In the end he did the decent thing and saved us from years of keeping him (!), Brady had no such scruples. I'll stop there because I have only swear words and insults left at this moment.
                          Last edited by MysterySinger; 05-21-2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X