What did a carman look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
    Nope - we only know that it seems so, and that owes to how he wore it in court. But strictly speaking that only proves he wore it in court.

Donīt misunderstand me - my guess is that he wore it in his everyday work and going to and fro that work. But certain, I cannot be.
    So while ripping too?

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
      Every time?
      Not after every murder, if that is your question. If someone committed a series of high profile crimes and, as time passes the press reports on possible eyewitnesses, it seems reasonable that the perpetrator might attempt to change his appearance.

Comment

Just for the record, I don't think the beard is really an issue, unless he posted a selfie in November 1888 sporting the full Chin Chewbacca.

And as he is in all probability innocent, it doesn't matter anyway.
        dustymiller
        aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
          Too bad the apron wasn't made of leather.

On the beard issue, one would expect him to change his appearance if he were the killer, which I think was Fish's allusion.
          I was more after how it would be less than useful to make the assumption that if he was bearded in 1912, it is strange that nobody spoke of a killer with a full beard in 1888, ergo Lechmere was not the killer.
          However odd the suggestion seems, it was nevertheless put forward.

On the issue of whether the killer changed his looks between the strikes, I donīt see why he would if his description was never circulated. Nor is it a trait that is common with serialists. So I am not too keen on the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post

... as he is in all probability innocent, it doesn't matter anyway.
            Of course, statistically there is only a very tiny risk that the person right next to you is a serial killer. So in that respect, you have a point.

But this is common knowledge, and I think you must use something else to make your assertion. But what can it be?

We know that many serialists are people who have no former record with the police. So that canīt be it.

We know that many serialists live in relationships, often having a family. So that canīt be it either.

We know that the police make mistakes. So that wonīt be the reason either.

We know that serialists can stop killing. So that is not the reason.

Iīm curious, Dusty. You seemingly know something I donīt know. Enlighten me!

Comment

Just for the record, I don't think the beard is really an issue, unless he posted a selfie in November 1888 sporting the full Chin Chewbacca.

And as he is in all probability innocent, it doesn't matter anyway.
              To Dusty

Your not wrong.

Cheers John

Comment

I know very little about modern "serialist" psychology, so I'll take your word for it.

Personally I believe applying the modern world psyche on struggling to survive Victorian East Enders a dubious line of research in general, so I listen with a modicum of interest just in case but never join in such debates.

So what do I base my notion that Xmere was probably not Jtr?

I'm pretty busy at the moment but hopefully sometime over the next few weeks I'm intending to start a thread highlighting the errors and misinformation in the case against Charles Allen Lechmere. Since writing the Rip. article I've discovered a lot more information.
                dustymiller
                aka drstrange

Comment

I know very little about modern "serialist" psychology, so I'll take your word for it.

Personally I believe applying the modern world psyche on struggling to survive Victorian East Enders a dubious line of research in general, so I listen with a modicum of interest just in case but never join in such debates.

So what do I base my notion that Xmere was probably not Jtr?

I'm pretty busy at the moment but hopefully sometime over the next few weeks I'm intending to start a thread highlighting the errors and misinformation in the case against Charles Allen Lechmere. Since writing the Rip. article I've discovered a lot more information.
                  God help us all. Your Rip article "discoveries" were not very useful, were they? Letīs hope itīs not along the same line of quality.

Comment

To paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies,
                    "Well you would say that wouldn't you".
                    dustymiller
                    aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                      It is the best suggestion, yes. Maybe it would be easier to carry it in your hand if it was awkward to walk with, I donīt know. But his wearing it would be the number one guess.
                      Do you believe Lechmere's clothes were bloody and he used the apron to cover it?

Comment

Originally posted by CertainSum1 View Post
                        Do you believe Lechmere's clothes were bloody and he used the apron to cover it?
                        I think that any blood would primarily be on his hands and cuffs, so the apron would not be of much service in that respect.

Comment

Working...
                        X