Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relatives

Hi everyone,

I recall here on Casebook that it's mentioned that one of Mary Kelly's relatives was on the london stage, I also recall that her friend Lizzie Albrook I believe it was mentioned that Mary Kelly had a child of 2 years (i may be getting the people mixed up but i think it was L. Albrook)...anyhow has anyone looked into this I mean there may be a picture running around of Mary Kelly with her relative or there may be record somewhere of the child being born...etc just wondering

Hello Clark,
    Mary Kelly could well Have had a child it is not at all unlikely, there were all kind of reports after her death of the dead woman having a son either living with her[ unlikely unless hushed up] or being looked after by someone, who was paid by Mary, until times got real bad hence the words allegedly used'' I cannot bear to see him starving''
    Indeed it is also claimed by, no other then Barnett himself, that she[ Kelly] had a boy of 9 or10 living with her.
    There were are a lot of rumours about Mary Kelly after her death, and the truth concerning her family, and any offspring were probably hushed.. best for all concerned attitude.
    Regards Richard.

Comment

I cannot believe that such a child could be hushed up. The police would have found out about him and made enquiries, if only because the father (if known) would need to be eliminated from the investigation.

I must say, I loathe soaps, but a soap set in Spitalfields in 1888 I could just about tolerate, for it would, apparently, be a soap in which nobody knew anyone else's business and didn't discuss it even if they did know. Much less boring than Coronation St or Eastenders.

Comment

Believe it or not, Robert, just such a thing is in the pipeline. It's going to be called Ripper Street. I'm not joking.

Best wishes,
        Steve.

Comment

Oh blimey Steve, that's right. A Sunlight Soap opera.

Comment

Originally posted by clark2710 View Post
            Hi everyone,

I recall here on Casebook that it's mentioned that one of Mary Kelly's relatives was on the london stage, I also recall that her friend Lizzie Albrook I believe it was mentioned that Mary Kelly had a child of 2 years (i may be getting the people mixed up but i think it was L. Albrook)...anyhow has anyone looked into this I mean there may be a picture running around of Mary Kelly with her relative or there may be record somewhere of the child being born...etc just wondering
            The rumor that Mary Jane Kelly either had a child or else was pregnant when she was murdered is an old one but is not substantiated. As for the relative who was on the stage you might be thinking of landlord John McCarthy. McCarthy's son Steve married (but later separated from) music hall star Marie Kendall. One of Steve's sons played in the theatres and had several children of his own, one of whom was the actress Justine "Kay" Kendall (b.1927), later to marry the actor Rex Harrison. McCarthy also had a financial interest in the music halls. See the Wiki on John McCarthy.

Chris
            Christopher T. George
            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

It was certainly reported that Kelly had a female relative who had appeared on the London stage.
              From info and photos I have received after writing the Kelly book, it is claimed that Kelly had four brothers and one sister. Mary Kelly's parents were named John Joseph Kelly and Bridget Kelly. Of her four brothers, the only one whose name has supposedly been given to me is Henry John Joseph Kelly, the one who was in the Army. This is the one who was known as Johnto. The one sister, who was younger than Mary, was named Bridget after her mother. At the time of Kelly's death the whole family still resided in Wales but fairly shortly after Mary's death, the whole family emigrated to the USA and I can find no trace that any of them ever returned to the UK or Ireland.
              As some of you may be aware I am now leaving the area of Ripper studies for other pastures with one exception. I will continue to submit material to Adam for the Press Trawl in the Ripperologist.
              To all the friends I made on Casebook my thanks and good wishes and I wish all of you the very best and happy hunting.

Comment

Have I missed something or is this brand new research? Wow....

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                  Of her four brothers, the only one whose name has supposedly been given to me is Henry John Joseph Kelly, the one who was in the Army. This is the one who was known as Johnto.
                  Ha! And people laughed at my 'Johnjoe' nickname idea.
                  Last edited by Debra A; 03-15-2012, 10:32 PM. Reason: wouldn't let me use the word I wanted to

Comment

thanks

Hello Chris. Thanks for posting this. Were these the Flint family mentioned in your book?

Sorry that you are leaving Ripper studies. Good luck in your further ventures.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

He who laughs last, . . .

Hello Debs. I did not laugh.

But I'm astonished that no family were in London. If true, it was misreported.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Chris tell us about your book, when did all this new Kelly stuff come up?

McCarthy's son John [ Steve] did not marry Marie Kendall till 1895,[ born 1873, Bethnal Green real name Holyome] their marriage was not happy. Marie was a big star starting as a child, and a principle boy,Steve not so. She was quite a beautiful woman. Granddaughter Kay Kendall. I have a nice picture of her which I will post if I can work out how my scanner works.

Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                          Hello Debs. I did not laugh.

But I'm astonished that no family were in London. If true, it was misreported.

Cheers.
                          LC
                          Hi Lynn, I know you didn't. I didn't know of Chris's research when I posted it though so I'm quite chuffed with my idea now.
                          There was a lot of conflicting newspaper coverage about MJK that couldn't all possibly have been true, could it?

Comment

Echo

Hello Debs. I'll say. "The Echo" had Mary and her young son on their way to buy milk when the contratemps occurred.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

[QUOTE As some of you may be aware I am now leaving the area of Ripper studies for other pastures with one exception. I will continue to submit material to Adam for the Press Trawl in the Ripperologist.
                              To all the friends I made on Casebook my thanks and good wishes and I wish all of you the very best and happy hunting.[/QUOTE]

I do wish you luck on whatever new venture you are going into. I am so glad you are going to continue to write for Ripperologist, although I am new this news sort of has me feeling a little crestfallen.

You see, I am so new as to believe writers and investigators such as yourself are the reason we will eventually know who JTR was. Maybe a wild idea, but you obviously have shed a light where it was darkened previously.

Thank you for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X